Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C2 Steering rack replacement

pye21

Anyone know of a how to on this anywhere? Or is it documented in anyone's build/maintenance threads on here?

Been looking around and can't see anything on here or on Pelican etc.

Good luck - IF you're lucky the pressure and return pipes will come out of the rack when you remove the horseshoe/finger clamp that holds them on the rack. Usually, they seize in the rack being steel and the rack aluminium.

If the pipes come out, then it's just disconnect the steering column, track rod ends, and then undo the two bolts on the bottom of the subframe and it'll wiggle out from the drivers side.

If, like mine and most others, the pipes will be seized into the rack so you'll need to cut them off, then drop the front subframe to replace them. They're the same as the 986 Boxster in design, so that doubles your sources at least, as they're ferociously expensive, new. Good time to replace the brake pipe that crosses from the passenger side (RHD cars) to the drivers side as that sits above the subframe, too, and a car of any age will look like it's from the bottom of the sea.

Guess what I'll be doing this summer.. :what:

Indeed the pipes will likely be corroded in situ. My solution was to buy a couple of 997 pipes second hand (cheaper), cut them rack and get flexi lines made up to connect the hard lines. Saved dropping the subframe and cost about 70 quid.

drabux said:
Indeed the pipes will likely be corroded in situ. My solution was to buy a couple of 997 pipes second hand (cheaper), cut them rack and get flexi lines made up to connect the hard lines. Saved dropping the subframe and cost about 70 quid.

Genius. Any pics of what you did?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back