Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Strange headlight problem.

pogo

I have just got my 996 back from having shocks and wheel bearings fitted. I noticed when I got home that one headlight was very high. This wasn't the case, as it recently passed its French MOT. I then noticed that the electric adjustment doesn't work on that headlight either,
The mechanic says he didn't touch the headlights at all, and as he put in a load of extra work for no extra money, I'm not going to get stroppy with him......
Before I get wheels off, inner linings out etc, can anyone shed any light on this problem? I wondered if the electric adjustment failed by wire break or fuse if the beam reverted to 'high' osition. Any advice is always appreciated.
Paul

Does the car have HID headlamps? Could the mechanic have disturbed one of the self-levelling sensors which are connected to the suspension?
Although that would presumably affect both headlamps...

Hi. I'm not sure.....how would I tell? They certainly look like standard headlights to me, but I'm used to old classic cars, this 'modern' car lark is new to me lol
That sounds just what I was thinking/ hoping. That there is something that need s to be put back in place. Do the standard headlights have the self levelling sensors on the suspension?

Thanks. I need to check for a sensor, maybe disconnected.

When you say the electric adjustment isn't working either, is this a physical adjuster on the dash?
If so, I don't think litronic headlights have this because it's automatic and controlled by sensors attached to the suspension front and back.
Halogen headlights with a physical adjuster doesn't have the sensors on the suspension.

Hi.
Yes, I do have the manual adjuster on the dashboard by the light switch.
So, probably dont have the sensors, so I will just have to get my hands dirty and start looking. Oh well, thats cars!

Litronic's can be retro fitted but the sensors and automatic level system isn't normally fitted with them so they're set and fixed.
You say that one headlight isn't working with the manual adjuster. If the other one is I would think it's fairly conclusive they are halogen headlights.
If you go on YouTube you can find loads of clips showing how easy it is to pull the headlights out. It might be worth trying that and making sure it's all seated properly and located in the electrical connecter at the back correctly.
https://youtu.be/bWbSG3k38R8

I have found the problem.
I removed the headlight. I couldn't find anything amiss, so thought I would clip it back in, but found it impossible. It wouldn't click into place. I removed the other headlight to make comparisons, and found that the ill fitting headlight doesn't have a height adjustment motor fitted, so I was mistaken thinking that it used to work!
Anyway, I ended up removing the plastic mounting plate, and the headlight would clip home, so replaced it, adjusted it forward a little, and now the headlight clicks in perfectly.
The mechanic who changed my shocks etc said that he thinks the car has been in a 'minor' accident, as one of the top bearing plates was bent, and the same side has a shiny new headlight that wasn't fitted properly. Its all falling into place! Still, nothing structural, so no real problem.
Now, I will remove both headlights to change radiators and spray the front bumper, so it was a worthwhile exercise tonight. Thanks for all the help.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back