Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Low volt reading after start-up

It's just the wet belt slipping imo. Mine did it before and after a new alternator but only after rain or washing the car. It has done exactly the same thing for the last five years so it doesn't me me a jot.

DynoMike said:
It's just the wet belt slipping imo. Mine did it before and after a new alternator but only after rain or washing the car. It has done exactly the same thing for the last five years so it doesn't me me a jot.

Mine also did this before and after a new alternator was fitted.
I hadn't yet made the connection with rain or water.
I'll try and be more observant.
What I do know is it wasn't the alternator that needed changing :sad:

Pickse said:
DynoMike said:

:?: Tell us more! On second thoughts if it is bad, perhaps not :wack:

:grin:

Ok so I looked again at the alternator.

I have a fixed pulley so it may be the original.

Car fired up today and 14v straightaway.

Promise I will take the belt off tomorrow and check for free movement of pulleys and tensioners.....

If I find nothing amiss I will monitor and then put it down to a damp belt. Got a new belt and water pump waiting to go on when it ever stops raining.

wasz, mine does it with a new belt or an old one. 100% only happens when the car has been washed or stood in heavy rain, on most occasions I can hear a squeel as the belt grips and starts charging.

It is worse after washing due to the car shampoo I use, I think. It is slippery stuff!

Turbos are more prone to belt slipping when wet than non turbos .. trust me ive been asked to stop this many times before on Turbos .. i dont have an answer there im afraid :oops:

Best guess would be a new tensioner but not a cheap solution and not one ive been able to try .

DynoMike said:
Pickse said:

:?: Tell us more! On second thoughts if it is bad, perhaps not :wack:

:grin:

Not so bad I guess as I now have a new 150A alternator which will be good for some years to come but I wish I'd seen this thread before deciding it needed changing.
Live and learn eh :roll:

arry said:
This is what's currently laying my 996 up. New battery, new alternator, 13.6 at the posts when running but showing sub 12v on the instrument cluster. Disco warning lights and flickering gauges, and stalls on occasion as soon as the brake lights are illuminated, at which point it won't restart despite it having 12v+ at battery.

It seems charging issues such as this are common.

May not be related to yours. Mine was solved by changing the ignition switch. It started out very much as an intermittent drop in voltage on initial start up so there's similarities but like everything electrical it's a dark art full of guesswork half the time.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back