Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New numberplates - get from OPC or not?

martinspain

One of the many small things on my cosmetic todo list for my 996T this year is a set of new numberplates, and I thought I'd canvass the good people of 911uk for their opinions on plate origin and style, since I can't decide!

Is it worth it to get the plates from my local OPC, just to have official dealer plates? I've had the car for three years on non-dealer ones and every now and then it's bothered me that the tiny text under the registration says 'Knobber & Sons Motor Traders', but not enough to get new ones made. However, now they're a bit tatty and need replacing I'm not sure whether to just order some replacements online or venture into OPC Cambridge for a set of 'proper' ones.

I appreciate this is very silly stuff to be asking about, but I'm a little OCD about my car as I'm sure a few of you know!

You could get blank surround plates from eBay in official font etc. :dont know:

The Illuminati of course have theirs made at a Skoda dealership :grin:

plain ones off ebay with nothing but your reg on. Give the car a cleaner fresher look IMHO.

have a look at Demon plates on line they do a legal domed 3D type in black or carbon and you can put what you like on the bottom of it . have a look and play on there plate maker . :thumb:

I always fit dealer plates, even on my £700 Volvo. The price difference is ten or fifteen quid.
It just looks proper. I was the same with tax disc holders before tax discs became defunct.

If you're feeling flush though have a look on here. -

https://www.fourdotdesignerplates.co.uk/

I like the black surround with martini stripe through middle. I still can't quite decide if they're cool or chav though. :?:

Had mine made at Porsche Mayfair just for the hell of it - no dearer and they even have specially made Jiffy bags so they can mail them out.

With all the other stuff we do to our cars why not finish it off.....

alex yates said:
plain ones off ebay with nothing but your reg on. Give the car a cleaner fresher look IMHO.

I agree with Alex, sometimes less is more and why should we be expected to drive round carrying free advertising for a dealership :hand:

160dmb said:
Had mine made at Porsche Mayfair just for the hell of it - no dearer and they even have specially made Jiffy bags so they can mail them out.

With all the other stuff we do to our cars why not finish it off.....

I tried to get replacement plates from Mayfair, but they said they didn't have a parts department and referred me to West London! Was your car originally purchased from Mayfair?

I think OPC plates indicate it hasn't been smashed front or back - and that it is in the network, and not been bought and sold through Joe Blogg Cars Ltd.

I think dealers insist on seeing reg docs for proof of ownership.

Legally, a numberplate must have the postcode of where the plate was made or the car will fail its MOT.

I get mine from the likes of fancyplates.com. You could just add the text porsche.com/yourdealername which I think is what the OPCs would do.

Not displaying who made it or post code is not an MOT failure

The plate maker is legally obliged to put their post code on - hence them listing them as 'show plates' when they don't.

Robertb said:
I think dealers insist on seeing reg docs for proof of ownership.

Legally, a numberplate must have the postcode of where the plate was made or the car will fail its MOT.

I get mine from the likes of fancyplates.com. You could just add the text porsche.com/yourdealername which I think is what the OPCs would do.

The backing plates also have the dealer name, and the number plates have the dealer name and postcode. Anything fancyplates.com offer will look wrong!

I had some pressed aluminium ones made off ebay, no dearer than plastic and they bend for a better fit / easier to stick on

Had mine done at dealership beginning of last year for £20 including VAT. Dealership logo to my mind is better than 'Joe Bloggs Motors' or Halfrauds

Zingari said:
You could get blank surround plates from eBay in official font etc. :dont know:

The Illuminati of course have theirs made at a Skoda dealership :grin:

Now I have dropped out of the 993 illuminati (or was I pushed :?: ), the 997 wears OPC Cambridge aluminium plates

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back