Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 GT3, DP says yes....Update

Yep. There are no prizes on track days and no racing.
A faster driver in a manual will drive circles around a slower driver with PDK. But that was ever thus.

Senoj said:
Cheib said:
Because most people that do track days want ultimate lap times apparently and that means PDK. Personally I get more satisfaction from clipping an apex and getting my gear change right etc than letting the gearbox take away part of the fun!

I'd say it's not just my opinion but a pretty widely held one. Pretty sure AP has said somewhere in the last ten days that the RS will remain PDK only because its the right gearbox for track.

Not sure where you get that idea from but its bollox. I know a lot of people who do track days and none of them are interested in lap time over enjoyment. Not a single one.

Read what I said...."apparently". I've got that idea from people saying they prefer PDK for track. As you can read it's not what I get satisfaction from on the rare occasions I do take my car on a track.

Feel free to shove your bollocks where the sun doesn't shine.

Cheib said:
Senoj said:
Cheib said:
Because most people that do track days want ultimate lap times apparently and that means PDK. Personally I get more satisfaction from clipping an apex and getting my gear change right etc than letting the gearbox take away part of the fun!

I'd say it's not just my opinion but a pretty widely held one. Pretty sure AP has said somewhere in the last ten days that the RS will remain PDK only because its the right gearbox for track.

Not sure where you get that idea from but its bollox. I know a lot of people who do track days and none of them are interested in lap time over enjoyment. Not a single one.

Read what I said...."apparently". I've got that idea from people saying they prefer PDK for track. As you can read it's not what I get satisfaction from on the rare occasions I do take my car on a track.

Feel free to shove your bollocks where the sun doesn't shine.

So, myself, all the people i know, plus yourself do not prefer pdk for track. Apparently we are wrong because "people" are saying they do..

Ill leave mine out in the sun but thanks for the option :D

Hey we're all friends. Even if some of us are well jell :)

Hope you get and enjoy whatever config you go for.

Re: 991.2 GT3, DP says yes....

Norfolk & Idea said:
Kryton said:
I'm on the list for one with my OPC but I reckon I've more chance of a threesome with Liz Hurley and Lucy Pinder tbh.

Just kicked them out of my place a couple of hours ago....... they said you have no chance! :D

Cheib said:
Because most people that do track days want ultimate lap times apparently and that means PDK.

In my experience, that part of the market are the first owners who do 3 or 4 track days then sell the car and move to the next toy (they also tend to be the ones who ask "why would anyone need a cage in a road car"). And they are nothing whatsoever like "most". Most of the keyboard warriors on Pistonheads perhaps, but not most of the on track regulars unless things have changed completely in the year since I stopped being one of them. That isn't the resale market. This brings us back to the discrepancy between the cars specified by the people who get build slots and the people who end up having to buy in the aftermarket.

Think about it : why are Clubsports more valuable in the used market? Supply and demand - the proportion of people who want them used does not match supply from the cars originally delivered.

Every time Porsche launch a GT3 there are threads about specs, the same advice is offered, it is largely ignored and there ends up a shortage of cars in enthusiast spec.

For resale you want the spec that most will want and few slot holders will order, and all current indications are that this will be a manual Clubsport in black, white, red or a paint-to-sample colour. Spec ceramics if you want, but while likely to be desirable for resale they equally aren't likely to recoup your £6.5k premium.

But that is just market advice based on the history of the GT3 over the last dozen years. It is your money, so buy what you want to drive and leave what it will be worth if you want to get out of it to another day. :judge:

Disco said:
Cheib said:
Think about it : why are Clubsports more valuable in the used market? Supply and demand - the proportion of people who want them used does not match supply from the cars originally delivered.

This is a good point, my 996 wasn't a CS and although it did have buckets and cage I regretted not getting one. The 991 was an impulse buy when I saw it in the dealer but I wouldn't have had that impluse if it wasn't a CS.

Regards
Fred

Disco said:
Cheib said:
If the deposit I was invited to place last week does turn into an allocation I'll be going "R Spec" though am tempted to go with the Cage because on 991.1 and 997.2 it makes such a huge difference to prices.

Objectively, if you have bucket seats then you have to be pretty insane not to specify Clubsport in my opinion. The reason is of course because it is one of very few things that Porsche do not charge you extra for and because the cage bolts in. If you don't want a cage : spec it, tell them to unbolt it before handover then store it along with the harness and extinguisher (which arrive at the OPC in boxes anyway). Should you resell : you have a Clubsport (which is important as a non-CS doesn't have the mounting plates for the cage) for the premium residual and it has cost you nothing more than a corner of your garage. Or you can sell the cage, harness and extinguisher on eBay for free money and your car still has the option code and cage mounting points if you subsequently sell.

That's a good point and certainly worth considering if my deposit turns into an firm allocation.

Main decision will be

Cage/No Cage
Folding/Full Buckets
Colour

First world problems!

Interesting my OPC sales chap said everyone who either has an allocation or is in with a shout wants a manual car.

Cheib said:
Disco said:
Cheib said:
If the deposit I was invited to place last week does turn into an allocation I'll be going "R Spec" though am tempted to go with the Cage because on 991.1 and 997.2 it makes such a huge difference to prices.

Objectively, if you have bucket seats then you have to be pretty insane not to specify Clubsport in my opinion. The reason is of course because it is one of very few things that Porsche do not charge you extra for and because the cage bolts in. If you don't want a cage : spec it, tell them to unbolt it before handover then store it along with the harness and extinguisher (which arrive at the OPC in boxes anyway). Should you resell : you have a Clubsport (which is important as a non-CS doesn't have the mounting plates for the cage) for the premium residual and it has cost you nothing more than a corner of your garage. Or you can sell the cage, harness and extinguisher on eBay for free money and your car still has the option code and cage mounting points if you subsequently sell.

That's a good point and certainly worth considering if my deposit turns into an firm allocation.

Main decision will be

Cage/No Cage
Folding/Full Buckets
Colour

First world problems!

Interesting my OPC sales chap said everyone who either has an allocation or is in with a shout wants a manual car.

Lol - if that is strictly true then perhaps the rare PDK version will be worth more on the used market :)

...I agree overall though. Every forum I look at seems to be leading on the manual option. For me its the clear differentiator Porsche have at the moment over the rest of the market.

Evening chaps,

Can you spec parking sensors on the Gen 2? Trivial as it may sound but backing a GT3 into a tight space whilst peering through a cage and spoiler isn't much fun!

Oh and for what it's worth despite having an OPC 991.1 GT3 both my letters of intent fell on deaf ears. And yes, I would go manual if I had the choice! :thumb:

TheGT3ofDC said:
Evening chaps,

Oh and for what it's worth despite having an OPC 991.1 GT3 both my letters of intent fell on deaf ears. And yes, I would go manual if I had the choice! :thumb:

If rumours are to be believed, that is exactly why it fell on deaf ears - supposedly they are 'sharing the love'! Assuming you got your 991.1 GT3 new that is.

I have a build slot now for July and collection Sept 1st/ish, going to be a loooong wait :sad:

Kryton said:
I have a build slot now for July and collection Sept 1st/ish, going to be a loooong wait :sad:

Congratulations ! Might be a long wait but nobody will getting one any quicker.

Production date from P is now 15 Sept :weed: :sad:

But looking on the bright side at least I'm getting a car :yes:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back