Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dash Cams Front & Rear - Hard Wired

for interest I hardwired mine by the following:
Removed interior light, could not find a switched lived, so ran a wire by removing pass side side windscreen trim.
Starting at the top of the side trim, Pushed wire under headlining past pass vanity mirror, so it poked out the interior light gap.,, then ran other end past air vent, then under dash, just above the foam cover on the footwell, popped off the centre console carpet trim and then used a switch live from the radio to power the 12v to 5v adaptor.
so now a hidden wire than pops put just above the mirror. Quite neat really.
Ive bought a couple of 10 quid dashcams from ebay, they have worked faultlessly. Looking at the video they arent bad, good enough for me. If you are into tech and want bluetooth phone link uploads, then I can see that you want better, but Ive had theses in other cars for years and never needed them. They will catch a crash , of course if you want to spend hours on youtube uploading high def videos then spend more, but my life isnt that dull that I have time.

I bought the Lukas LK-7950 about 18 months ago with a second rear camera and had them installed in both cars. Which means that I simply swap the front camera into whichever car I'm using. The total from car camera shop.co.uk including both installations was just over £700. A single front/rear kit plus installation would have been about £470
I chose the Lukas over Blackvue on the basis of better reviews at the time and I've been very pleased with it. The camera transmits it's own WiFi hotspot so that I can connect my iPhone to review footage and whilst I haven't needed to use it for an Insurance claim, I did have a nutter in Range Rover go the wrong side of a keep left bollard to overtake me in a 20 limit road outside a school. I submitted the footage to police witness.com and got an email from the Bill 3 months later saying that he had opted for an awareness course to avoid prosecution.

:judge:

Cheers gentlemen - I will get it fitted and mention your remarks

:thumb:

I went for Thinkware F770 that has a built in voltage detector in the same ilk as the power magic pro. The Thinkware does not broadcast to cloud but it does act as a hotspot for you to configure the device and offload footage.

The front and rear cameras are very discreet and footage of Full HD quality with little noise even at night. At night, if a car is tailgating too close, their number plate can be seen every time I brake. The red brake lights reflect off the front white number plate and quite visible on the footage.

Wiring is relatively straight forward, using A10 and C6 as others have.

Only issue I have seen is where I placed the bundled up excess rear camera cable in the right side A pillar trim. The wiring is fitted next to what appears to be a module for the windscreen aerial and affects certain FM radio stations. So I will open up the A pillar trim and move the bundle higher or lower to see if this improves the radio reception.

I have two Mini 805's, the front one with the GPS module. I have a double USB (Griffin) charger plug in the centre console and have run 2 mini USB cables from there under the carpet and up to the headlining to power these at the front and rear screens.

Hi,

I am also looking into potentially getting a reverse camera fitten in my 997.1, however i am not very good when it comes to wires and electronics...

Can anyone recommend any good car electronics/audio shop around London area? would be looking for a new headunit (to replace pcm2) and reverse camera...

thanks and i hope i am not hijacking this thread!

This evening just collected my Bkackvue HD650 front and rear cameras from Halfords. Should have been £329 but paid £237 after discount and vouchers.

Hopefully will fit tomorrow afternoon

Bikeracer1098 said:
I've got one in my car, however be careful if you get pulled over as the Police with sieze it as evidence, the recordings could be far more severe than the original offence.

I know of individuals who have been given custodial sentences based on evidence captured on camera footage.

So be careful whichever set up you decide upon.

As mentioned blackvue are one of the most descreat and compact forward facing cameras.

Lots of people are being summoned by their very own footage. Work for the owner and driver and against.

A very well known case was the Ferrari driver on the M1 motorway and a motor bike rider both separate incidents & not involved in any crash but lost their licenses by their own recordings. I'm not saying they're a bad idea, just be very careful and remember it's recording you 100% of the time and the idiots maybe 1%. Unless you are a complete angel I'd keep the money in the bank.
Though I wouldn't mind one filming the rear, just so I can shame tailgaters :grin:

MNC911 said:
Bikeracer1098 said:
I've got one in my car, however be careful if you get pulled over as the Police with sieze it as evidence, the recordings could be far more severe than the original offence.

I know of individuals who have been given custodial sentences based on evidence captured on camera footage.

As mentioned blackvue are one of the most descreat and compact forward facing cameras.

Lots of people are being summoned by their very own footage. Work for the owner and driver and against.

A very well known case was the Ferrari driver on the M1 motorway and a motor bike rider both separate incidents & not involved in any crash but lost their licenses by their own recordings. I'm not saying they're a bad idea, just be very careful and remember it's recording you 100% of the time and the idiots maybe 1%. Unless you are a complete angel I'd keep the money in the bank.
Though I wouldn't mind one filming the rear, just so I can shame tailgaters :grin:

Surely you could refuse to give the video evidence showing you breaking the law, as they will have no proof (and therefore no power to order you to release the footage).

I'd counter your comment, as sensible as it is, with an anecdote from my father.

He was on a roundabout when someone on the inside of him decided to turn right on the roundabout whilst he was using the middle lane to go straight over. The driver at fault claimed he was in the middle lane and that my father was in the right hand lane, which would then cause a 50/50 claim. My dad promptly showed the footage to the driver (& his lawyer) and they quickly agreed that it was their fault and would accept responsibility.

JT888 said:
I went for Thinkware F770 that has a built in voltage detector in the same ilk as the power magic pro. The Thinkware does not broadcast to cloud but it does act as a hotspot for you to configure the device and offload footage.

The front and rear cameras are very discreet and footage of Full HD quality with little noise even at night. At night, if a car is tailgating too close, their number plate can be seen every time I brake. The red brake lights reflect off the front white number plate and quite visible on the footage.

Wiring is relatively straight forward, using A10 and C6 as others have.

Only issue I have seen is where I placed the bundled up excess rear camera cable in the right side A pillar trim. The wiring is fitted next to what appears to be a module for the windscreen aerial and affects certain FM radio stations. So I will open up the A pillar trim and move the bundle higher or lower to see if this improves the radio reception.

Sorry for the thread revival. I've just bought a thinkware F800 which i'm looking to hardwire in. I'm trying to find what fuse to use for permanent live, for my car A10 is listed as cigarette socket and C6 as rear wiper (997.2 C2S). Is one of these a permanent live?.

thanks

MNC911 said:
Bikeracer1098 said:

Get a camera with an easily removable sd card and lose it if required.

ignore my question above, i've discovered the cigarette lighter in permanent live (still learning all the time having only had the car a week). I'm managed to hardwire it in now.
The Thinkware F800 is a great little camera btw.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back