Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Supermarket premium fuel

Palladium said:
its all the same, tried it all in 30 years, no difference.

Most of it is, just about every brand road tanker fills from the same storage tanks.

Shell however do use their own specific additives, I'm not aware of another brand that does. (I've worked on almost every fuel depot in the UK) :D

plynchy said:
Palladium said:
its all the same, tried it all in 30 years, no difference.

Most of it is, just about every brand road tanker fills from the same storage tanks.

Shell however do use their own specific additives, I'm not aware of another brand that does. (I've worked on almost every fuel depot in the UK) :D

That very interesting coming from someone in the know. so other than vmax all the other super unleaded is the same stuff whether its murco or sainsburys :thumb: why are so many others saying the tesco momentum is better than most and how come some is 99ron and others 98 ron :?: :dont know:

I'm not 100% on the chemistry behind the high octane fuels, I do know that a lot of 95RON is bought in as off spec and blended with butane, ethanol etc to bring it up to spec.

As for SUL, Tesco's is 99 I believe whereas other suppliers quote 97 or 98, so it may just be a better blend ratio. The Tesco fuel does seem to fare well in tests etc and I've used it for years in many different 'fast' cars without issue.

Happy to be educated/corrected on any of the above by the way.

plynchy said:
I'm not 100% on the chemistry behind the high octane fuels, I do know that a lot of 95RON is bought in as off spec and blended with butane, ethanol etc to bring it up to spec.

As for SUL, Tesco's is 99 I believe whereas other suppliers quote 97 or 98, so it may just be a better blend ratio. The Tesco fuel does seem to fare well in tests etc and I've used it for years in many different 'fast' cars without issue.

Happy to be educated/corrected on any of the above by the way.

Ah so the base is all the same but some are tweaked with additives and blended to give them the extra ooomph that might explain the various views re "its all the same" as in theory it is, but then " I find ??? better " would also be factual based on the blending and additives. well that seems to have finally cleared that subject up . until the next time :floor: :floor: :floor:

I don't have a Shell garage that close to me apart from one on the A303 where the "major route premium" is applied so I mainly use Tesco Momentum. Never had any problems or noticeable performance loss. The only fuel I haven't tried is BP ultimate.

Shell Vmax or Tesco 99 for me, but only for the Porsche. I've used these in performance cars for many years without issue but can't really comment on whether they make a difference as I don't tend to use anything else so a can't tell. Tesco 99 has always received high praise both from users and those "in the know" and I wouldn't hesitate to put it in my car. Wouldn't use the 'super' stuff from other supermarkets though.

No problem in using supermarkets in case of need for normal cars though.

Just a note of caution on using supermarket diesel fuel. My 535d is devices by an indie garage, an ex McClaren mechanic who used to own a prestige performance car garage. My BM developed a lumpy tick over and eventually lost power. Turned out injectors were knackered, and needed a new set. He was adamant that the supermarket fuel was to blame, and I've not used it since. The additives for a diesel engine are important for high performance diesel cars.

placebo effect, I have tried them all, no difference. just use regular in my 911, its cheaper and no different to super...........not imagining it, 30 years behind my conclusion.

My 996 and RS Turbo run on Tesco Momentum 99, nothing else if I can help it. The Mini Cooper S I had before started out on 95ron but after switching to Momentum there was a noticeable difference in the car so I didn't go back to the regular stuff.

When I was in Italy last year in the 996 I couldn't get super at the motorway services near Milan and had to use regular. I felt a difference and got back onto super as soon as possible.

Palladium said:
placebo effect, I have tried them all, no difference. just use regular in my 911, its cheaper and no different to super...........not imagining it, 30 years behind my conclusion.

Octane isn't something intangible - it's real. Your 911 would (if the management system didn't pull timing) be detonating under high load due to the lower octane fuel that you are putting in it.

My other car is turbo-charged where this is a short road to a new engine as the ECU can't pull timing fast enough, in an NA I imagine (note: assumption) that you're just getting lower power and mpg.

This sort of thing I do find hard to understand - you buy an out and out sports car with ~300 bhp, then for the sake of a couple of quid you give it fuel that will only allow you to see ~250 of the bhp you've paid for.

To the OP's point, I use V-Power when I can, but I've found that the supermarket stuff is ok, I'm seeing ~380 out of 2.3 litres with no det on the Saino's fuel, which suggests it does what it says on the pump.

Palladium said:

That'll be why manufacturers of performance cars state 'use 97RON or higher'?

It is different to regular unleaded, it's stored and supplied from separate tanks at the depots.

As regards supermarket diesel, no different to any other in my experience. It's the bio-diesel content that can knacker seals etc. All diesel has it now by law.

Dammit said:
Palladium said:

Octane isn't something intangible - it's real. Your 911 would (if the management system didn't pull timing) be detonating under high load due to the lower octane fuel that you are putting in it.

My other car is turbo-charged where this is a short road to a new engine as the ECU can't pull timing fast enough, in an NA I imagine (note: assumption) that you're just getting lower power and mpg.

This sort of thing I do find hard to understand - you buy an out and out sports car with ~300 bhp, then for the sake of a couple of quid you give it fuel that will only allow you to see ~250 of the bhp you've paid for.

To the OP's point, I use V-Power when I can, but I've found that the supermarket stuff is ok, I'm seeing ~380 out of 2.3 litres with no det on the Saino's fuel, which suggests it does what it says on the pump.

:worship: VERY GOOD and agree totally :thumb: :thumb:

I only use Tesco 99 by choice, well that or C16 race fuel :p

Dammit said:
Palladium said:

Actually engines can pull timing incredibly quickly if set up to do so. Each spark is controlled so if knock off detected the ecu can pull timing out immediately.

Super unleaded has higher octane and better additives. This improves the performance of your car, as long as your engine ecu is set up to be able to take advantage of that higher octane.

If your car says 98, then it will be set up for 98 and make more power on super than it will on regular 95. If it only says 95 however, then 98 won't make a difference to power. Also I strongly doubt there is any significant difference between the brands for super unleaded. I'll use BP Ultimate, Shell V-power, Tesco Momentum

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back