Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 GT3, DP says yes....Update

Footnote - anyone else noticed that the configurator doesn't yet actually allow you to pick manual?

And that (for the first time) LHD markets that want the (LHD only) 90 litre fuel tank is now have to pay extra for it.

Disco said:
nick w said:
Aargh......no, no no !...it needs the manual transmission, you need that interaction !

We all kind of called this one long before the announcement though didn't we : even if manual were made available (which it now has) the profile of the typical customer that would get the UK allocations was always likely to be such that non-PDK cars were likely to be right up there with unicorn tears for rarity. They will be like the Clubsport situation - far more of the used market wants them than the proportion of the first owner market that specced the supply of cars... :nooo:

Totally agree. That's my fear too. Me doing a track day a month makes me a whole lot less desirable than someone who bought 5 Panameras say (understandably from a commercial perspective). Hence the enthusiast spec will be the unicorn car.

Best of luck to the OP. It's his car which he should spec as he likes.
Personally not for me. I'd get a 991RS if I wanted PDK or a bargain 991.1 on the used market :)

LaSource said:
Disco said:
nick w said:
Aargh......no, no no !...it needs the manual transmission, you need that interaction !

We all kind of called this one long before the announcement though didn't we : even if manual were made available (which it now has) the profile of the typical customer that would get the UK allocations was always likely to be such that non-PDK cars were likely to be right up there with unicorn tears for rarity. They will be like the Clubsport situation - far more of the used market wants them than the proportion of the first owner market that specced the supply of cars... :nooo:

Totally agree. That's my fear too. Me doing a track day a month makes me a whole lot less desirable than someone who bought 5 Panameras say (understandably from a commercial perspective). Hence the enthusiast spec will be the unicorn car.

Best of luck to the OP. It's his car which he should spec as he likes.
Personally not for me. I'd get a 991RS if I wanted PDK or a bargain 991.1 on the used market :)

This ^^

If Porsche had let me buy one ( I didn't ask btw as i have no desire to play that rather odd knob measuring game with a car dealer) then i would tick the manual box before anything else.

On the road there really aint that much of a gap between a pdk GT3 and a pdk GTS. In fact for a road car i think the GTS would be a far better bet. For a track car, if you want to be the fastest Jonny out there then pdk all day long. If you want to get out of the car with a sense of achievement then you need a clutch and a pudding stirrer. Used market will crave the manual too. I still think the main reason Porsche advocate the pdk for GT cars is to mitigate warranty claims :D

I think the "R Spec" will be as desirable as the track day spec

i.e.

PCCB's, Full Buckets, Manual

or

Cage, PDK, Steels, Buckets

They'll be the two most popular choices

Your spec of

PCCB's, Buckets, Cage, Manual

Will be uber rare I think as most people that do track days as much as you want Steel Brakes (because of cost) and PDK because it shines on track ?

If the deposit I was invited to place last week does turn into an allocation I'll be going "R Spec" though am tempted to go with the Cage because on 991.1 and 997.2 it makes such a huge difference to prices...although I think a lot of that is because non CS cars tend to have normal seats and I think the thing people really like/want are the Buckets. And when my kids are a bit older I might actually have the time to do some track days...if that does happen I'd swap the PCCB's for Steel discs.

I really am not intending to sell this car ever though...had no interest in buying a PDK car and think this could be the pinnacle of naturally aspirated manual gearbox 911's that I will ever be able to afford.

Cheib said:

i.e.

or

Your spec of

Will be uber rare I think as most people that do track days as much as you want Steel Brakes (because of cost) and PDK because it shines on track ?

If the deposit I was invited to place last week does turn into an allocation I'll be going "R Spec" though am tempted to go with the Cage because on 991.1 and 997.2 it makes such a huge difference to prices...although I think a lot of that is because non CS cars tend to have normal seats and I think the thing people really like/want are the Buckets. And when my kids are a bit older I might actually have the time to do some track days...if that does happen I'd swap the PCCB's for Steel discs.

I really am not intending to sell this car ever though...had no interest in buying a PDK car and think this could be the pinnacle of naturally aspirated manual gearbox 911's that I will ever be able to afford.

Why do you think pdk = track spec?

I think that I'm just an old fart....I just don't get PDK for 'fun driving'. I totally
get the town/urban driving advantages of PDK...but when i'm either on a
cross country road or on the Nordshliefe, I want to test myself and get that
huge satisfaction when it all works. :wink:

...and I don't have an axe to grind.

Senoj said:
Cheib said:

i.e.

or

Your spec of

Why do you think pdk = track spec?

Because most people that do track days want ultimate lap times apparently and that means PDK. Personally I get more satisfaction from clipping an apex and getting my gear change right etc than letting the gearbox take away part of the fun!

I'd say it's not just my opinion but a pretty widely held one. Pretty sure AP has said somewhere in the last ten days that the RS will remain PDK only because its the right gearbox for track.

Cheib said:
If the deposit I was invited to place last week does turn into an allocation I'll be going "R Spec" though am tempted to go with the Cage because on 991.1 and 997.2 it makes such a huge difference to prices.

Objectively, if you have bucket seats then you have to be pretty insane not to specify Clubsport in my opinion. The reason is of course because it is one of very few things that Porsche do not charge you extra for and because the cage bolts in. If you don't want a cage : spec it, tell them to unbolt it before handover then store it along with the harness and extinguisher (which arrive at the OPC in boxes anyway). Should you resell : you have a Clubsport (which is important as a non-CS doesn't have the mounting plates for the cage) for the premium residual and it has cost you nothing more than a corner of your garage. Or you can sell the cage, harness and extinguisher on eBay for free money and your car still has the option code and cage mounting points if you subsequently sell.

Cheib said:
Because most people that do track days want ultimate lap times apparently and that means PDK. Personally I get more satisfaction from clipping an apex and getting my gear change right etc than letting the gearbox take away part of the fun!

I'd say it's not just my opinion but a pretty widely held one. Pretty sure AP has said somewhere in the last ten days that the RS will remain PDK only because its the right gearbox for track.

Not sure where you get that idea from but its bollox. I know a lot of people who do track days and none of them are interested in lap time over enjoyment. Not a single one.

Senoj said:
Cheib said:

Not sure where you get that idea from but its bollox. I know a lot of people who do track days and none of them are interested in lap time over enjoyment. Not a single one.

+1 :thumb:

And as a footnote I've not met anyone either who holds
an opinion that they want an 'ultimate lap time'..

Senoj said:
Cheib said:

+2!!!

nick w said:
Senoj said:
Cheib said:

To be fair there are some who do. Some can be the racer type.

Cheib said:

i.e.

or

Your spec of

My experience (and preference):

Clubsport is a must for resale value to the enthusiast.
PCCB - Porsche latest spec ones are fantastic. I had them on the GT4. Drove my friends identical but steel car back to back at Spa. You can feel the lighter rolling masses and quicker change of direction. Yes actual retardation (and laptimes) probably not much different.
After 4000 miles of road and track, zero noticeable wear. Of course the GT4 is a slower car than GT3 so maybe kinder to brakes. But same feedback from friends with 991RS cars.

I would spec pccbs if I had another go 100%. It's a high value car where the used buyer likes them.

If one has an issue with cage and PCCB, they can be removed with steels for the brakes after purchase. Cost when new is a proportion of aftermarket cost.

That's my view - for the investor/flipper among the slot holders, my view is that the car fetching the highest premiums will be manual clubsport with pccbs. It will be differentiated from the 991GT3 and 991RS....and will fetch a higher price.

There....my crystal ball has been working overtime :)

LaSource said:
nick w said:
Senoj said:
Cheib said:

To be fair there are some who do. Some can be the racer type.

Apples to apples lap times are fun but a self shifter being fast r than a manual is kind of academic really as all things being equal it just will be.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back