Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Good progress today

decgraham

Hi All,

Carrying on form my "A bit of a strip down" thread I had a good day to day and made good progress. I couldn't undo the bolt on the crankshaft pulley to remove the A/C carrier and get to the one cam chain cover bolt that sits behind it :evil: Fortunately with the carrier bolts removed there was enough space to enable me to get the one bolt with cap and rubber seal back into position and tighten it up. I think if I'd had a impact wrench I probably would of got the pulley off, for Porsche not a good design. If they had just machined back the carrier a small amount you would be able to remove it with out removing the pulley.

I also checked my chassis legs, inside and out and........ no rust anywhere :D

I now await receipt of the lower cam cover gaskets and once received will tackle that job. I did have a go at a few of the hex head bolts but boy were they tight. I was afraid of shearing them off so I'll need to have a re think of how I go about this job.

ATB :)

Attachments

• no_rust_906.jpg
    no_rust_906.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 3,118
  • bumber_braket_hole_105.jpg
    bumber_braket_hole_105.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 3,118
  • cam_covers_back_on_578.jpg
    cam_covers_back_on_578.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 3,118
  • cam_covers_off_166.jpg
    cam_covers_off_166.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 3,118
  • good_progress_674.jpg
    good_progress_674.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 3,118
wilsonny said:
good stuff...has it lived all it's life in the dry ? chassis legs in amazing condition.

Yes, the first 15 years in Q8 where we would get summer temperatures of 52C :eek: and the last 7 years here in Spain. It has never been driven on a salty or gritted road and I think that has made all the difference. I have seen pictures where some have had rear PU stays that have rusted completely away where as mine are still like new :D

Yes but it still won't be painted behind the support panels. I would whip those off whist in there and if all good paint behind then wax to prevent future issues.

dommorton said:
Yes but it still won't be painted behind the support panels. I would whip those off whist in there and if all good paint behind then wax to prevent future issues.

Hi dom,

Thanks for the information, could you identify the areas which you call the "support panels for me?

decgraham said:
dommorton said:

Hi dom,

Thanks for the information, could you identify the areas which you call the "support panels for me?

He means those little "winglets" which are bolted to the rear most part of the chassis and joined onto the loose parts of the wing. On yours, they look really good from the outside, but under there, you'll find that there's no paint - horror of horrors, Porsche attached those plates with only primer behind, so if the cars ever been/will be somewhere there's a bit of moisture, it's a breeding ground for tin worm....for any of us in the UK, you can bet there's at least a bit of surface corrosion under there.

There you go. What he said :thumb:

Thanks chaps I'll address that on Monday :thumb:

If you looks on jackals site there is a detailed write up with photos

graemeho said:
If you looks on jackals site there is a detailed write with photos

Thanks for that, I actually found it this morning when I Googled "Porsche 993 Chassis legs" The work he did on the back end of his car is just amazing. It's certainly prompted me to get out the wire wool and the polish :lol: not sure if I'll address as much as he did though :oops:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back