Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 / 997 owners beware

chriscoates81 said:
I'm guessing the crap only builds up along the rear of the arches. I'm surprised that much has got on.

When I cleaned out behind the liners on my 996.1 last year, the most muck was behind the small liner section at the lower, outer forward section of the rear arches - first pic above.

Exactly Griffter, have now finished mine so there'll be no further issues here ;)

Tackled my liners and sills today (C4S) and can say this is most definitely a worthwhile task.

The C4S/Turbo uses a different sill due to the wide body config which features plastic sill extensions that run the length of the body along the side. These where removed and I found practically nothing in those seams (they are very narrow) but at the sill ends where there are return lips it was the same story as ELA.

On my car there's also quite a bit of debris buildup behind the wheel arch liners on the wheel well walls.

I did find a small patch of rust drivers side, 12 o'clock on the double skin section where the outer rear wing and inner wheel arch meet and are spot welded together so this will get special attention, anti rust, seam sealer before clear waxoyl.

:thumb:

Is it worth drilling a small hole in the bottom of the liner for any moisture to drain out? Also I had the task of swapping from winters to summers this weekend, and I just can see how anything can get behind the wheel arch liners, all the joints I could see were overlapping and tight against each other.

Thanks for this tip, i just cleared a truly sobering amount of crud out of these areas. The drivers side was much worse than the LHS. Fortunately no rust, maybe the dark blue colour helps it keep dry by getting warmer than white / silver...

Thanks for the heads up on this.... Not as much muck as others have reported but nonetheless much happier now in the knowledge that it is now cleared out....

Attachments

• wheel_arch_2_202.jpg
    wheel_arch_2_202.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 654
  • wheel_arch_1_187.jpg
    wheel_arch_1_187.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 654

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member