Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3.4L Engine Rebuild Cost

I think that looks a very good car for 10k..Definitely worthy of further investigation!!

Sorry to jump in, but I've just taken a bit of a punt on a 2000 996 Carrera for £10k; bought as a trade vehicle with "expected wear and tear."
99,500 miles on the clock, decent service history with HR Owen for 10 years and then independents since.
So far I've had to fit a new battery (car has had very little use for last 3 years), the A/C is no longer working (I think the dealer re-gassed it just before I picked it up), and the drivers door handle has a fault (the window doesn't drop when closing door).
It was supplied with a brand new MOT, it had front disks/pads, rear pads, an exhaust repair (??) and some pipes changed on power steering (paid for by dealer).
I'd like to think I've bought a usable car for decent money.... :eek:

Welcome Pugwash! And welcome Indy Singh, I forgot to say that in my last post.

Pugwash that sounds like a fair deal, especially if it's a manual.
Your aircon condensers are most likely leaking. Have a look in each side of your front bumper and see if they look old. Same goes for rads (which the condensers mount in front of).

I'll be doing all 4 of mine (2 rads, 2 condensers) in a couple of months.
Easy diy job and doing it yourself means you have time to do it right, doing things like powder coating the mounting brackets and renewing all bolts etc.
Then you can just get your Indy, or anywhere actually, to re gas it. Loads of how to guides online and on YouTube.

The parts are only £210.

Condensers-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181516317166

Rads-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291077287526

Ask the seller of the condensers to throw in bolts and o rings and they usually do.

Anyway sorry for veering of topic slightly.

So who's gonna buy that aerokitted car then?
I think now, any straight 996 with no hidden horrors is worth £10k so a manual C2 with Aerokit for £10k is a good buy. It's only the mileage on that engine that throws a bit of a question mark over it, but who knows, it could have another 30,000 trouble free miles left in it. Or more...

Good luck with yours Pugwash and good luck with your search Indy Singh.

Just to add my story of a cheap 996. I bought mine last spring time for 7K looked like a clean car to me but had 150k miles on it, no real shock that after a few month I was having oil pressure problems.

Moving on 6 month or so I'm now ready to pick the car up after having it rebuilt at Hartech, car was clean enough I thought with low owners that it was worth fixing instead of breaking.

Glad you got there in the end Loco.

If it's any consolation lower mileage cars can suffer from dropped valves, D chunk, IMS failure etc. Very much the luck of the draw.

I went for lower miles to avoid the fault you had which is worn big end shells or crankshaft bearings, as these are known to wear relative to mileage, but that still doesn't necessarily mean I won't have issues like the ones listed.

At least you've got a bullet proof engine now so you can enjoy the ownership experience that it should be.

Have fun :thumb:

Cheers Mark, I'm looking forward to getting it back, I don't think it ever went right as there were a few electrical issues found with it that would certainly affected it performance wise, as you say, should be a pretty strong engine now and a relatively tidy car so eventually win win

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertcloftus
Back