Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996T - MOT Brake Testing via Roller

shantybeater

Hockenheim
All,

I came across an article online where someone's new Xdrive BMW blew its gearbox due to running on a brake test roller. Does anyone know if this should be bypassed for the 996T? e.g. could it cause damage to the diff?

Yes it must not be tested on a roller, mine is always tested with a meter on the road / parking area at the test station.

MC

^^that's how they do mine too

ironically, it then picked up a stone chip on the 2 week old windscreen when they did last year :roll: happily it was replaced (again) :bandit:

Are you guys fine with the MOT testers taking your car for a drive. I would be fine if it was all done in front of me. If I took it to a place where they usually get high performance cars regularly I wouldn't be too worried but when I had my M3 (V8) the MOT guys would rev it pretty high straight after they started the engine. Any chance they would take me along for the brake test :D

:D yep I'm fine with it as the tester is the technician that I specially request to work on the car (who had be apprenticed to a friend of mine at the OPC). That did make it all the more ironic when the 'bullet hole' in the new windscreen happened! he was as mortified as I was :grin:

Our A8 failed its MOT on the ABS system failing during the test.

I reckon they killed it in the way you describe, but I could not prove it.

Cost us over £1k to put right for a new control unit, probably about 50% of the car's value!

I used to live in fear in my R32 (despite it being Haldex AWD) I used to make sure people MOTing it knew to road test it.

Can only imagine how many 4WD cars have been killed in MOT centres up and down this land.

Talking about disreputable types, I used to get my tyres done at my local 'F1 Autocentre' as they would let me stand over and watch proceedings and potter about under the car and in the arches etc. One day a member of staff or someone they knew well tuned up in someone else's GTR, they all took turns in burning off up the road in it. They were talking about some pretty big speeds when they got back. So you really can't be too careful, I always take note of my mileage before leaving my cars with anyone.

Same fackers lifted some lacquer on my Cayman's rims when I got a puncture on my maiden voyage. I won't be going back to them! How do we ensure we get are wheels looked after at tyre changes? Take it if you took the car to OPC and had the tyres delivered, they'd still charge you and arm and a leg. And that's before we even get into any associated 'N Rating' chatter.

Funny you mentioned F1 Autocentre, they were one of the garages that used to rev my m3 as soon as they started it and then flooring the accelerator while reversing it out of the garage - all this while I was watching from a distance. Anyway this thread has been useful, I hope other AWD owners see this and make sure their cars are road tested. I have just called around asking about the brake test. One MOT test centre will let me ride with them while they do brake test on the road so I will be booking in with them.

Does this apply to 4 wheel rollers as well as 2 wheeled ones?

Did mine at local MOT station last year without issue, but they have a full 4 wheel (i.e. front and rear axle) set of rollers.

Im guessing it should be fine as both axles can move at the same time but hopefully someone that knows better will come along

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back