Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Xenon headlight query

Drew1209

Spa-Francorchamps
I've just bought xenon headlights for my C4, am I correct in saying this should be a simple plug and play, I notice the xenon lights have a pin connector on the lights for connecting into the existing loom as per the original lights but they also have a pin connector on the metal box (is this the driver ?) what should plug into this, do I need to buy something else or is this connection already on the car. I can't check the car just now as it's not with me

Drew do you have headlight washers if not then it might fail the next MOT so dont make the same mistake as me and let the opc MOT it, go to someone who wont notice they are Zenon most small non Porsche places wont notice but the law changed a year or so ago and you need a washer . Sorry it I am teaching you to suck eggs just wanted you to have a heads up , I am running zenon and no washers but dont let the opc MOT it now ps it wasnt an issue earlier this year when I used a small place to MOT it :thumb: :thumb:

Yeah Phil's right (again!)

A lot of people got caught out with this on Touareg's when they upgraded them post purchase, ended up costing them thousands due to the washer problem, it was only a £500 upgrade from the factory!
I even heard that some failed if the washer bottle wasn't the high capacity due to the extra water needed to wash the lights, PITA!

Drew1209 said:
I've just bought xenon headlights for my C4, am I correct in saying this should be a simple plug and play, I notice the xenon lights have a pin connector on the lights for connecting into the existing loom as per the original lights but they also have a pin connector on the metal box (is this the driver ?) what should plug into this, do I need to buy something else or is this connection already on the car. I can't check the car just now as it's not with me

It's pretty simple really: you will have 4 wires coming out the back of the headlight cover once you've cut the hole in the cover for the grommet to pass the cables through.

One pair is the power feed to the box that generates the high voltage & they connect to the H7 connector that used to plug into the halogen bulb.

The second pair is for the high voltage feed to the new H7 HID bulb.

I've had HIDs on my 996 for 9 years & never had any problems with the MOT or blinding anyone. Go to an indie that has a good relationship with friendly MOT station is my advice!

PS. I've just put LED main beam bulbs in mine & they are the future, no question. Incredibly bright 6000K, instant on & only 35W.

I've not got headlight washers on mine but the garage that would mot the car is not Porsche specific so hopefully no issue there.

I bought the complete assembly hoping I could just remove the existing head light units and replace with these but not quite as simple then

Ah, I hadn't realised you'd bought the whole light units. My comments only apply to retrofitting aftermarket HIDs into the standard halogen units. My memory of the proper lights is that they incorporate a self-levelling motor but that's all I know!

Far easier to retrofit HID into halogen units.

I've just popped out for another look at the lights, I think the other plug I'm referring to is in fact for the self levelling motors, so hopefully it could just be a case of removing my existing units and plugging these in ? Can it be that simple !!

Drew1209 said:
I've just popped out for another look at the lights, I think the other plug I'm referring to is in fact for the self levelling motors, so hopefully it could just be a case of removing my existing units and plugging these in ? Can it be that simple !!

Sadly not.

You will need the level sensors that connect to the N/S front and rear lower suspension arms and associated wiring. When the ignition is turned on and the car is fired up the 'up and down' motion of the lights is these level sensors measuring the stance of the car and setting the light levels. It's not simply about the bulbs unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back