Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Knock sensor fault

Drew1209

Spa-Francorchamps
I'm getting a knock sensor fault code, I've tried a new knock sensor but still the problem persists. The car doesn't feel all that quick at all, will the knock sensor fault affect performance I.E. retard timing

When you say changed sensor do you mean both? There's two of them.

I would expect the timing to be retarded if the ECU is seeing a fault or 'knock'

Do you have a fault code reader?

I just changed the sensor in bank 2 as that's the one that my code reader keeps picking up there's a problem with. My car always felt quite lacklustre but I just thought this was the normal but if there's a fault and it's retarding the timing I assume this will have an affect on the performance

So the fault remains with the new sensor?

Suggests to me either the wires for bank 1 & 2 sensors are reversed (if that's possible so maybe you have changed the bank 1 instead of bank 2) or possibly there's a break in the wire.

I will try have a look at my loom for you (which is out of my car on the shelf) and see if it's possible to reverse them, the plugs are identical from memory.

The plug has a notch in it so the wiring can't be reversed and the length of the wiring for both sides isn't long enough to swap over so as Harv says it may be a break in the wiring. PITA to get to though.

Find out what voltage you need to be seeing and measure the wiring at the plug and also check the ohms of the old sensor to see if it is actually faulty.

Welcome back Demort,
hope you're feeling ok now
Best wishes
Mike

maldren said:
Welcome back Demort,
hope you're feeling ok now
Best wishes
Mike

Cheers young man :D

Signed off for 4 weeks .. very bored and hopeing to go back to work sooner lol

Thanks guys, well I've traced this today to a broken wire, thanks Dermot for the heads up

Would this have the DME thinking there is an issue therefore retarding the timing effecting performance

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back