Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Window position memory?

Sukh-C4S said:
MMT said:
Does this link help.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1603795

I have my old one somewhere I could dig out if it helps

This is great, thanks! :thumb:
I leaning towards opening it up and look for dry joints, the satisfaction of repairing it will be immense! ..may have to ask my nephew to borrow his magnifying glass though!

Have your old what lying around?

If you're planning this, take plenty of photos as you take it apart, especially of the springs and linkages on the outside!

maldren said:
If you're planning this, take plenty of photos as you take it apart, especially of the springs and linkages on the outside!

Update: I gave this a go on the weekend, stripped out the lock and latch assembly and soldered MS1, 2 & 3 (http://thumbsnap.com/f/KI2LlowR). Put it all back together and no luck :dont know:

Before it was only the outside door handle that wasn't working (window goes back up when door is open), but now it happens on both inside and outside handles. Its not that the replacement part is expensive, i just wanted the satisfaction of fixing it ...back to plan A and buying a new lock :frustrated:

Sukh-C4S said:
MMT said:
Does this link help.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1603795

I have my old one somewhere I could dig out if it helps

This is great, thanks! :thumb:
I leaning towards opening it up and look for dry joints, the satisfaction of repairing it will be immense! ..may have to ask my nephew to borrow his magnifying glass though!

Have your old what lying around?

My old drivers side handle.
I bought the new one from Porsche Sheffield and it was about £100.

MMT said:
My old drivers side handle.
I bought the new one from Porsche Sheffield and it was about £100.

Ahh thanks mate, i'm banking on the lock microswitches being faulty following a couple comments earlier in this thread. Bought the lock today and will update on the weekend to whether its fixed my issues.
Will drop you a message if I find its the handle switch that needs changing out :thumb: much appreciated, thank you

Bit of a Hijack, apologies...

My drivers door won't open, not sure if its this door lock, or the window winder. Symptoms are:

Pull the outside door handle, no resistance, but the glass drops a very small amount (not enough to clear the gutters though) and door won't open. Works fine using the inside door handle.

Before it did this, when I opened from the outside, same thing would happen, but if I pushed the door slightly I heard a click, and the door handle operated OK. Glass still didn't drop properly though, but just enough to clear the gutters.

Door lock or micro switch or window winder do we reckon?

Cheers James

I expect the handle rod has become disconnected from the lock .. need the door panel off , membrain carefully cut back with a blade on the glue and youll see it .. the rod has serations that clips into a bit of plastic and then a cover slides over it to lock in place ..

Basically have a look and it will be obvious !

Window will drop as the handle is still operateing the micro switch .

Edit ..

im also still waiting to see if i have to pay Sukh-C4S £10 for my bet :D

So I gave my door another go this weekend, bought a lock assembly which consists of the latch and electrics module. Took them both apart so i could use my original latch with the new electrics module only, fitted it all including airbag and door cards ...closed the door, all seemed okay but went to open the door and it didn't open!!! Tried the inside handle and it still didn't open!!
All sorts went through my head from having a costly repair to cutting the door open :what: decided to take it apart again whilst the door was closed so snapped all the door card clips and got the door card off, battery disconnected, airbag out and all the rest and managed to pull the leaver on the latch and open the door! :thumbs: I can't express the relief and happiness I felt :D
Anyway, ended up just switching the latch and electrics module back and put all the new assembly back in the car and it works perfect.

Not sure what caused the door not to open but looking at the parts I removed from the car, there is a microswitch that connects the latch and module. There's a circular wheel that looks like it triggers the switch and it was a little chewed up so I'm guessing it's what was causing my original issues with window coming back up while the door was opened.
Anyone know what the switch that connects the two parts does so I can put the issue to rest in my mind?

Jamesx19 said:
Bit of a Hijack, apologies...

My drivers door won't open, not sure if its this door lock, or the window winder. Symptoms are:

Pull the outside door handle, no resistance, but the glass drops a very small amount (not enough to clear the gutters though) and door won't open. Works fine using the inside door handle.

Before it did this, when I opened from the outside, same thing would happen, but if I pushed the door slightly I heard a click, and the door handle operated OK. Glass still didn't drop properly though, but just enough to clear the gutters.

Door lock or micro switch or window winder do we reckon?

Cheers James

There is a plastic thing on the latch that the outside door handle links to to trigger the opening of the door. It looks like the weakest link and I imagine it's what may have broken in yours. I'll take a look if I have any photos of mine to give you an idea of what I mean.
The window will still come down as there is a microswitch on the handle that triggers the window independently from what actually unlatches the door.

Demort said:
Edit ..

im also still waiting to see if i have to pay Sukh-C4S £10 for my bet :D

I didn't notice you had replied too :) sounds like we're talking about the same thing

:floor: so your bet... technically you were right about the door lock needing to be changed but it wasn't the switches you were talking about :puh:
...I'm really grateful for your help mate, as I previously mentioned I did give resoldering a go and it just so happens I got in a mess trying to get clever keeping my original latch that I think I came across the culprit of a chewed up switch trigger. Am struggling to upload a photo from my phone :x

Many thanks Guys. I was thinking about buying a door lock in preparation before disassembling the door, but I will have a look first as per your advice. Certainly I thought I could here a distinct rattle coming from inside the door while was driving today, so that adds more weight to what both of you have said.

I will have a look and come back to you.

Cheers James

Jamesx19 said:
Many thanks Guys. I was thinking about buying a door lock in preparation before disassembling the door, but I will have a look first as per your advice. Certainly I thought I could here a distinct rattle coming from inside the door while was driving today, so that adds more weight to what both of you have said.

I will have a look and come back to you.

Cheers James

The thing on the right hand side of this photo is the threaded bar that is on the exterior handle. Is on the outer side of the door on the same side as the manual lock

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=9...AUICCgC&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=okyIHggxZxpEeM:

The part below is what we think is broken, the right hand side of it slides into the latch and that threaded bar from the exterior handle goes into the left hand side, it's like a U shape tube. The bulky thing then slides to the left over the threaded bar to secure it.

https://www.design911.co.uk/mobile/#part;id=126639

This in turn connects the outside handle to the latch. There's a couple links further up here that will help take it apart. If not give me a should and i'll point you to them. Helped me get an understanding and take mine apart :thumb:

Brilliant, thanks V. much. Worth buying just in case at that price....

Demort and Sukh-c4s

You were both entirely right. The clip had come detached from the threaded rod. Just pushed it back on and slid the retaining collar in place again.

Free fix! Many thanks chaps

Jamesx19 said:
Demort and Sukh-c4s

You were both entirely right. The clip had come detached from the threaded rod. Just pushed it back on and slid the retaining collar in place again.

Well done mate, love the satisfaction of a free fix 8)

@demort has gone into hiding as he only half won the bet :puh:

Jamesx19 said:
Demort and Sukh-c4s

Well done mate, love the satisfaction of a free fix 8)

@demort has gone into hiding as he only half won the bet :puh:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back