Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering Wheel Creaking [video]

911_AS

Sao Paulo
Greetings all.

I noticed a strange and rather annoying sound form my steering wheel today. When turning the wheel to the left or right, it tends to make a feint 'creaking' sound.

The car drives absolutely fine and the creak doesn't seem to be causing any harm - to my knowledge. However, it was not there a few days ago and has just started in the last 24 hours. Any ideas?

Have a look at this video for a better idea. Although the creaking sounds very loud in this clip, it's not as bad in reality.

I had this after my car had been sitting for a while. After a few drives it went away. Got it checked out and they didn't find any issues...?!

Has your car been standing for a while? Otherwise could be worn bushings.

Rob325114 said:
I had this after my car had been sitting for a while. After a few drives it went away. Got it checked out and they didn't find any issues...?!

Has your car been standing for a while? Otherwise could be worn bushings.

It sits during the week and is mainly used at the weekends. That has been the case since I bought it six months ago.
I've just never come across this before, find it a bit odd that it's started doing this all of a sudden... :?

Coils springs juddering , top mounts might have dry or worn bearings is what it sounds like to me.

More of an annoyance than a problem.

Edit ..

You can remove the cover next to the battery then put your hand on the top of the shock mount and get someone to move the wheel .. you should really feel it then.

Two culprits depending where the noise is coming from, as has been said it sounds like coil springs/top mounts are dry if you can hear the noise from outside the car or if the noise is coming directly from the steering wheel it could be the clock spring behind the steering wheel dragging, mine is currently doing this but I haven't got around to taking the wheel off and greasing it a little.

Thanks for the replies gents. As above, I've been advised it's very likely to be the Front lower wishbone bushes. It will be attended to in a week or so by Heritage Auto Werks, in Langley.

HAW are the official UK Service Centre for Singers (the car, not wannabe pop stars!), so I'm hoping whilst I'm there waiting for my car repair, I get the opportunity to look around a 911 Singer up close if (IF...), they have one in the workshop. :thumbs:

Quick update:

The issue was found to be the Top Mount and Bearings. These were replaced last week and the creaky noise has completely gone.

Parts & Labour: £284 inclusive of vodka and tonic.

:thumb:

I did find it strange when you were told it could be Front lower wishbone bushes as thats not the noise they make , but i assume it was a phone conversation :)

Fixed though :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back