Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

coolant light and fans

queenmonkey

Trainee
I took my 996 for a trip out today 50 miles with some hard driving at times. Toward the end of the trip my coolant light started flashing. My 996 has an insatiable thirst for coolant but the light never usually comes on as i keep it topped up (i even keep a diary to check amounts/ duration and miles!).

I had a look at the manual and it suggests that the light may flash if the engine fan is defective? It struck me that in the 9 months I've had this car i've never seen of heard that fan run? Is there any way of checking if the fan works? I've checked the fuse (number 4 on row B) and it's fine.

At the end of run a front fan was going when i parked up - nearside front. Is there one or two fans up front. Wouldn't both rads have a fan and them come on together?

Both fans should work so one is not working , resistor on the rad case is the usual.

To check from cold then start the car and turn on the a/c .. after a few mins then both fans should run at slow speed .

Btw the car shouldn,t use any coolant unless theres a leak so if you are regulary topping it up then it needs investigateing .

2 fans upfront buddy

At a guess your resistors are needing replacing luckily it's a cheap fix
But have a check ie switch the aircon on and see if both fans come on if not the resistor likely is the culprit :thumb:

Beat me to it demort :thumb:
Need to work on my typing speed lol

hi guys and thanks for your advice. Unfortunately my aircon doesn't work and never has done. But how do i check the engine fan?

Yes i'm aware of the coolant issue and am going to run and investigate until it either goes bang or the cause becomes more apparent.
QM

Get your aircon fixed, mine didn't work either, the condensors were totally shot but they're quite cheap and easy to replace (with aftermarket parts). I then had another leak near the OSF jacking point which apparently is quite common with careless servicing catching the pipes while jacking. 9E found and fixed it for me.

A coupe is no fun in summer without A/C.

Provideing the a/c button still shows the symbol in the display when pressed then i think the fans will still come on at slow speed after a few mins .. try it anyways .

You already have a problem with one fan as both sides should have been blowing when you checked them .. resistors are the norm .

Engine fan is different , that depends on engine cabin temp ( sensor pushed into the side of the inlet mainifold ) but i would expect it will be running most of the time when the engine is at operateing temp .

Thanks for your helpful replies guys. Demort is there any way of testing that the engine fan works? i've never seen or heard it run.

With a tester then easily , you just drive link it .. without then just drive the car so its at operating temp then listen or open the boot and see .. it should run most of the time .

Its not for cooling the engine as such though , the front rad fans are what does that , its more to keep the engine bay temp down a bit .

Thanks Demort, i shall try and fathom how my multi tester works as I've yet to see the fan in operation.
ps - put the aircon on and only one fan up front works so i will add that to me 'to do' list
QM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back