Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ben's Blue 993 Targa

What have you decided to get done-rear bulk head or going the whole hog? Will be interested to see what you think, when complete.

I've gone for somewhere in between. To be honest I was very impressed with the work done on the other 993 he had in and that is what pushed me further up the scale than I initially intended!

Haha, mission creep as they say.

Exactly!!
Will report back once I get some updates then collection :D

collected my targa on Monday morning - the sound deadening has made a significant difference and really cut the cabin noise down at motorway speeds which is exactly what I wanted.
I also had them move the SATNAV receiver thing from the dash to out of sight under the trim, relocate the phone mic to between the sunvisors, fit new rear speakers, remove an old Alpine amp from under the drivers seat and fit a slimline sub and I now have DAB which is crystal clear. The DAB controller is fixed with a sticky pad to the underneath of the ashtray - means I can still open it and put my phone in there. I had planned to fit the control unit actually in the ashtray so you could open it to access then close to hide, but couldn't quite make it fit. but that little project isn't over as I think it's going to bug me so fairly sure I'll revisit it later on and hide it away somewhere.

so all in all a good job done.
I can hear a bit more targa creak, but with the child seat fitted in the back (which is creaky anyway) I don't notice it.

Attachments

• img_0290_732.jpg
    img_0290_732.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 11,004
  • img_0289_213.jpg
    img_0289_213.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 11,004
  • img_0293_309.jpg
    img_0293_309.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 11,004
got me wondering - do tyres have a 'road noise rating'??

tried to upload a few more pics, but must have hit some sort of upload limit, so will try later :)

Nice work Ben, may have to consider something like this for next winter.

Looks great Ben :thumb:

I'm collecting my E46 M3 from Sylwester tonight - I saw your car on Monday when I dropped it off, parked next to Nik's :D

I've got to pop back to load all the images they took of the work in progress, but I'm pretty happy with it all so far :)

thanks very much KS - will have a read through the link

can't believe it's been over a year since I added anything to this! I still use the car daily and still love it.

few jobs done recently:
installed a new Becker Cascade head unit along with the updated NAV disc (thanks very much Jonttt!)

took the door cards off and fitted some felt around the opener mechanism as there was a fair amount of wind coming through - considerably improved now :)
(picture still reminds me of an old drunk bloke with an upside-down pipe in his mouth!)

and fitted another rear screen heater relay, hopefully that will get it working again.

also been in touch with Chris at Excell who is going to refurb my Cup 2s
and I finally fitted the heat elements to the hard back seats, so I might actually get those fitted in the car at some point!

If anyone fancies the Indi Pro head unit then please drop me a message.

Attachments

• beckers_163.jpg
    beckers_163.jpg
    992 KB · Views: 9,634
  • door_felt_196.jpg
    door_felt_196.jpg
    633.8 KB · Views: 9,634
so it's only been 4 years since my last post!

Having driven the targa daily for years and loved it my company grew so needed a larger car for all the kit and also had another kid.
So my daily became a Landrover Discovery - it's been great but it meant I didn't get into the 993 as much as a I used to, especially as Porsche track days were taken care of in the '79 SC :D

So - finally happened and I sold it this weekend.
I'd already lined up another project, but very much on a budget as a bit of fun with the family - a 1972 VW Bay Window camper!

So with that, having returned it to a more standard spec before sale I now have a few bits to sell on. I'll post in the correct section for those.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has offered advice and help throughout my 993 ownership - I loved that car and this community and I will miss both.
This thread has had around 60,000 views so at least a few of you were kind enough to pop along to see what I was up to!!!

Best wishes to all

Ben

Sad to see you go Ben, and the car too.
Let me know if you ever swing by the Oslo area, especially if you bring the VW camper!
Cheers,
Tore

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back