Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How low can you go... on Koni FSDs

wilsonny said:
Barryn said:
Not sure how low you can go, but they are a very good

I have (or will have) some FSD's with MO33 springs up for sale soon, but I guess you would want new.

Barry
how much work have they done ?

Hello Wilsonny

Around twenty thousand.

Only being taken off to fit à–hlins.

Barry,

Ohlins is a serious step up the performance ladder. I'd love to hear further details and your thoughts on them.

Thanks

Cameltoe & Heel said:
Be very careful about going too low on the 993 with any spring/damper combo unless you intend to go the whole 9 yards of the RS setup, which means modified hub carriers, drop links, ARB, etc etc.

You will suffer a case of rather bad bump steer otherwise. Trev

I had new Bilstein HD's and H@R springs set to 10+ RS and it was a ghastly,
crashy ride.

I then went with Bilstein HD's and MO33 Springs and it was nicer, but much higher up. Still too firm.

I then went with Koni FSD's and M033's and that was the best compromise between ride and ride height. I still wanted it lower.

If I were to rob a bank and do it again, I'd plump for Koni FSD's with Eibach Sport lowering springs as I believe they are a touch lower than M033's and they ride nicely.

My opinion is that you can't get a 993 to look low enough and ride comfortably. It can't and won't happen. Low=Hard.

Bear in mind when you start fiddling, that a garage will charge you around £600 labour for experimenting with springs and shocks. There's no cheap way of doing it unless you can do it yourself, and if you can, maybe you should be working in a Porsche garage.

To answer Matty's original post, this hasn't been much help, sorry. You need to find someone who has fitted lower springs like H@R Reds with Koni FSD's. Someone must have done it and I'll bet the ride was hard.

Looked the business but was not good for the fillings.

Cheers Kim. I read your original post on Piston Heads back from 2012. That pic is exactly what I want. But as you say be prepared to lose some fillings.

I've actually just purchased the H&R Cup Sport Kit which will lower the car by 40mm :grin: The chaps from the USA seem to go this route quite often so I guess we'll see if I need the aforementioned dental work soon!

Correct me if I'm wrong but in my experience aftermarket lower suspension is always a harder ride regardless of make or model, I've never driven or been in a lowered car that wasn't a harder ride.

The best my car has ever handled was on KW V3s. However the springs they supply are just not suited to UK road use. When i switched to FSDs and the cars factory springs the ride quality and compliance came back, but at the expense of high speed stability (or at least the feeling of that). I can see myself going through at least two other options at some point in the next ten years - the factory sport chassis kit (once it's off back order) and perhaps the recently released Porsche classic dampers. Or maybe i'll get some custom springs made up for the KWs :don't know: Or I'll probably do nothing, enjoy it as it is and hop in the Boxster to get that perfect-chassis-feeling.

[anyhow, ignore that ramble]. Back with the KWs - i had those set to a lower ride height and whilst it looked good, the only winner was Gert as I had to fit one of his protection bars so the car could navigate petrol station ramps (even gentle ones) without scraping the PU. Personally I'd avoid going low with a 993 or 964 in this country.

Cheers Tim. The Porsche Classic shocks were on my radar too. I'm with you in that once I have this 'low stance' thing out of my system I'll probably lament not going for a more practical set-up to begin with. Spensive.

But a 993 looks spectacular with a little drop! :sad:

I too saw the front PU protector. I was also eyeing up the GT2 bump steer kit but we'll see how bad things get first :thumb:

MattyR said:
I've actually just purchased the H&R Cup Sport Kit which will lower the car by 40mm :grin: The chaps from the USA seem to go this route quite often so I guess we'll see if I need the aforementioned dental work soon!

I guess the FSD's will be as good as any. A 40mm drop is going to hurt, whatever shocks you use.

Critical to replace ANY tired suspension components when you make the switch. Everything has to be 100%.

Oh don't worry, I have a bill of 2.5k to sort everything else :thumb:

ride height

I was thinking of going koni fsd and eibach lowering springs but on an advert for the koni's it said 'Do not fit with lowering springs'. Anybody care to comment as I see others seem to have done just that.

Sutton said:
Barry,

Ohlins is a serious step up the performance ladder. I'd love to hear further details and your thoughts on them.

Thanks

Hello Sutton
Apologies for the thread hijack MattyR

I will be doing a full thread about this, images and and review separately.

Sourcing the parts, the set up (at Centre of gravity) and the final driving experience.

I have used à–hlins for over 30 years in various formats, motorbikes, bicycles and cars so trust them on this for my car

Looking to be a happy early adopter.

I look forward to reading your write up. :thumb:

I believe Tuthills use them too albeit in somewhat earlier chassis. However you can't deny their effectiveness.

My mistake: they partner with EXE-TC.

MattyR said:
Oh don't worry, I have a bill of 2.5k to sort everything else :thumb:

Mine was around £7.5k and if I hadnt have sourced most the parts myself would have been nearer £9K.

You see the sale ads for 993s that state 'total suspension refurb carried out at a cost 2.5k'.

So that's new mounts springs and dampers only then. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back