Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HEADLAMP WASHERS ISSUE

Cheers Man ,I'm learning loads anyway . :thumb:

Crikey this is like watching the entire series of 'Roots' :D .

Three pages and still no ending....... :eek:

Pip

Ok it continues lol.
I did a continuity check from terminal 87 at the relay along the wire to the pump and found all was good until i got real close to the pump so i removed the tape from the wires and found they had been cut both the earth and the power. The headlight washer pump wires had been spliced into the windscreen washers lol. I have now wired everything up correctly but still the headlight washers don't work using the correct button headlights on ,however if i link/bridge the relay they work so at least i am getting somewhere i hope .
The picture shows the windscreen pump still connected the headlight pump connection lower down and the other is low fluid connection.Obviously this is before i sorted it but like i said everything works apart from the headlight washers.

What do you reckon Demort .

:worship:

Attachments

• img_0398_146.jpg
    img_0398_146.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 3,694
You have more patience than I could ever muster up. I've been reading this thread with admiration as I would have given this the McQueen salute and paid someone to sort it out long ago. Look forward to hearing that you've sorted it

OH DEAR GOD .. what some people do to cars to fix them .. not you i might hasten to add .. the relay is not switched when the button is pressed so they jury rigged the headlight washer pump into the washer system .. :duh:

If the feed wire from the relay is now connected to the pump and the pump has an earth then the headlight washer switch is not activateing the relay ..

This is the can bus bit i spoke about earlier , the steering colum control unit gets a signal from the headlight washer switch .. it then passes it to the vehicle electrical control unit which activates the relay .. so one of these is busted !

This is why is was jury rigged .. outside chance .. its a codeing issue .. ie something has been told this system is not fitted .. need a tester to confirm this ..

My guess ... its the steering control module that has failed and this was a cheap fix to get it working .

A bit of a brutal post by me im afraid , im normally so quiet and retireing ! but i do hate bodges .

I :salut: your patience on this one .. good work young man :thumb:

Pm sent
Thank you for calling me young ,if only lol.

You have done very well on this and to be honest i know a few mechanics that would have given up on this and shouted for me ! .. mind you theres plenty of mechanical jobs that i give up on and shout for them lol

As mentioned in the pm though .. its down to 3 items really and not easy to prove which one :(

Just to update if anyone is interested.
Im gona solder and heat shrink all the wires to make a nice job of it as I've just used crimped connections for now then tape up the wiring and replace back in the fixing points as s factory as poss. I can safely say the wiring is now sorted or will be and the pump works .
Ive done everything i can do so it will have get it plugged into a PIWIS by some guru who can hopefully either do a vehicle handover reset or narrow it down as to whats failing be it codeing ,switch, or one of two modules which i am told can be quite difficult to pinpoint .

Im in Oxfordshire and finding it difficult to find an indie garage that has a guru on piwis diagnostics. Any recomendations welcome,

Ok I wrang round a load of Indies to see if any would do a diagnostic on a Saturday morning and in the end Precision Porsche said yes miles away but a good excuse to go for a drive. I went there expecting the worst and also expecting to have to fork out for a control module or two, however they plugged it in done a vehicle handover reset and behold they started working . Doing this knocked out the sunroof code so they recoded that and done a complete check of all systems which was fine.
I can't believe someone re wired them the way they did and all they needed was a handover reset, Morons.
Never been to Precision Porsche before buy they were awesome I even got a quick tour of their engine rebuild workshop, probably use them from now on.
They also have a Ducati Panigale in the waiting room with was nice as i have one myself.
£39 an a tank of fuel happy days.
I will not be using my usual indie anymore as they didn't seem to know what a handover reset was .
Thanks to you guys for your guidance if i hadn't of found the wiring fault myself with your help the price would have been somewhat different . :thumb:
Tandem oil pump cover next lol.

Attachments

• img_1768_290.jpg
    img_1768_290.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 3,557

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back