Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Running without wheel centre caps - implications?

ch3tman

Hi all,

Another potentially silly question :lol:

What are the implications of running a road car without centre caps?

Could the exposure to the elements accelerate any potential corrosion to the wheel?
Could there be any adverse impact to the wheel bearings?

Track/race cars seem to run like this, but the question is with respect to a road car only, used across the year.

Thoughts welcomed...

You`ll get laughed at by fellow Porsche owners :dont know:

Plus, it'll freak Chris W out - no lock nut, valve badge to line up :D

None at all. It's just cosmetic.

Thanks for the input.

GT4 said:
Loss of concours points
kurlykris said:
You`ll get laughed at by fellow Porsche owners :dont know:
I think I can handle this... and in any case they'll be too busy laughing at the lack of wiper widget anyway :D.

It was more from a technical perspective, potential damage to the wheel and or bearings... or anything else.

MaxA said:
None at all. It's just cosmetic.
Thank you. I have also found via our helpful Rennlist friends that the bearings on all post-'89 cats are sealed so there is no danger in that respect.

I know.

That's why I only facetiously listed the (irrelevant) concours impact :grin:

Caveat : the answer is different if you have centre locks as on those the cap is sealed with an O ring and stops crud and moisture from getting into the spring loaded locking bolt in the centre of the assembly.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back