Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OBD 1 hand held diag tool....

Lig

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi all,

Does anyone know of a good OBD1 tool? I have done a search and cant really find what I am after.

There are loads on eBay but all seem to be for OBD2. My car is a 95 but with a OBD2 plug.

I have seen some where you use your Windows laptop, but am a mac man and dont want to buy a laptop for this (but may do if this is the best option), so would rather get a hand held device...

I have an issue at the moment where my ABD and ABS lights keep coming on and think it will be a speed sensor but would like a tool to confirm before I start changing anything...

Any help appreciated...

Ta Lig.

Do your lights stay on or do they flicker?

My ABD and ABS lights flickered especially after hitting bumps and it turned out to be a corroded earth strap.

I'm missing something as you're looking for an OBD1 tool but have an OBD2 port.

Hi Sutton,

My lights stay on. They just came on yesterday whilst driving. I have just removed / checked and re-seated the relays as research found that this could be the issue so I will see when I next go drive..... but figure I could do with one of these tools anyhow....

Apparently all 95 cars have OBD1 but later ones have the OBD2 port?! But happy to be corrected... my port is like a parallel port not the round port...

Cheers Lig.

Thanks Lig - I've learnt something today!

If you're wanting your own tool, maybe the cheapest way is to buy a secondhand windows laptop plus Tore's lead and download the free software. Brand new diagnostic kit looks to be big £££.

Yes that's the lead. It looks like Tore has tested his software on a Mac using a Windows emulator? If so you might not need a windows pc.

Best to have a chat with Tore. I'm a Luddite when it comes to most things.

First of all, the ultimate handheld diagnostic tool for the '95 993 is the Bosch Hammer. However, these come at a fairly high price. I have several in stock, all fullly tested and refurbished.

The generic OBD scanners/software can normally only connect to the engine management, and not the other OBD-enabled units in the Porsche 964/993. Generic tools probably also cannot connect to all functions available in the engine management.

There's only a handful of systems that can do all the units in our cars. (Motronic, ABS, air bag, alarm and climate control)
*The Bosch Porsche "hammer" (KTS 301)or later Bosch Porsche tools as PST2, KTS500 or PIWIS
*Freeware Rennlist Scantool Windows software (serial port adapter, as my T-OBD)
*Durametric Windows software with a proper serial cable
*928-diag/PDT999 from jenniskens

I've gathered all needed software for Scantool and this can be downloaded on my product page.

I haven't personally tried to run Scantool in a virtual Windows environment on a Mac, but have several customers that have done this successfully. I have no details on how.

Cheers,
Tore

Can't you get leads that connect to a Smart Phone and use an app? Anyone tried?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back