Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 GT3 who's getting one ?

A bloke on Facebook porsche owners page has a slot.
Just so happens he is the first owner on the logbook of my 4s.
Obviously spends a lot of ££ , so is one of the "special" customers OPC look after !

I think he picked up a new 'R' when they came out as well ! :eek:

He is asking Manual or PDK :?:

He is asking Manual or PDK

why is this even a question ?
Its just got to be a manual , like "everybody" asked for :eek: !!!!!

here are the facts
PDK is as used in race cars... so its tested and proven to be faster
PDK is faster on acceleration
PDK will always change gears quicker than you can throw a stick
every single test I have read or watched has said "wow this PDK box
is staggering".
The revised software .2 box is apparently faster, a few milli seconds probably.

Personally I do not feel "involved" whilst going round the M25 or getting stuck in traffic or using the car on a normal daily basis.

PDK will always be the choice, I really would like to know how many people actually order manual.

When I bought my C4s I wanted manual , tiptronic is just not as good, however PDK is the dogs.

askgeez said:

For driving enjoyment or resale purposes?

Frankly, if he doesn't know, Porsche should take back the allocation.

GT4 said:
askgeez said:

For driving enjoyment or resale purposes?

Frankly, if he doesn't know, Porsche should take back the allocation.

That's the most sensible thing I have seen written about the 991.2 in the last 72 hours!

The tool that wrote it is probably just using his "dilemma" as an excuse to tell the world he has a slot!!!!!

Exactly.

Can we confirm he isn't actually living in his Nan's back bedroom and is currently studying for his Media Studies A-Level?

pslot said:
here are the facts
PDK is as used in race cars...

Only the Cayman Clubsport and a couple of independently developed Carreras... That doesn't really count for much. The sequentials in full fat racing Porsches have nothing in common with PDK.

Senoj said:
pslot said:
cheapest .2 GT3 in Europe/USA is in the UK

USA - USD 144,650 .approx. £118,585
Europe - EUR 152,416. approx. £132,489
UK - £ 111 k

I can understand the US pricing, however the delta between uk and Europe is staggering.
Maybe there was more flipping in Europe than anywhere else in the world.

rates from xe.com at 18.31 on 08/03/2017

If I was Porsche the smallest allocation goes to the UK
.1 prices should remain firm because nobody will get a .2 ! :)

That looks like a massive bollock drop. Is it the same on the other models? Maybe Porsche uk hasn't caught up with post Brexit sterling yet and are just making less margin. The costs must be the same and in euro you'd assume.

Porsche engage in extensive multi-year currency hedging (all of which came out when the Volkswagen takeover thing was going on) so that is a major factor. As presumably is the different tax treatment of motoring around the world.

That said - prices are sure to go up eventually.

pslot said:
here are the facts
PDK is as used in race cars...

Depends if you want to go quick or go fun. FACT.

GT4 said:
Can we confirm he isn't actually living in his Nan's back bedroom and is currently studying for his Media Studies A-Level?
:floor:

Well...2 knock backs on the 991.2 GT3 so far.

I did send the "LOI" with "tongue in cheek" as I have only ever purchased one 911 from an OPC.

I have resigned myself to maybe owning a 4-5-year-old 991.2 GT3 with 20K miles for 150K in 2022!

The backup plan was the 991.1 GT3, however, all the engine business and warranty requirements put me off a little. Although these are fantastic cars, IMHO the 991.1 story has not been played out in full.

*IMHO Porsche haven't endorsed the .1 engine as they have binned it off for a totally reworked version with "rigid valve train" and improved lubrication design. In my mind, this is almost an admission that there are premature wear problems in the .1 design? If not, why didn't the .1 engine evolve to give more power in the .2 car??

*Disclaimer

My hypothesis is purely based on internet/forum speak. I am no expert, so if any experts can enlighten me I would be grateful.

The warranty can be bought until the car is 15 years old. Its well worth while regardless.

Porsche have not abandoned owners of 991.1 GT3, not every car has had problems with the E1 engines.

I'm on an E1 engine (original engine replaced prior to delivery) and am not worried personally. Its like the 996/Boxster IMS issue, if the cars were as unreliable as it seems from the internet the roads on our fair island would be littered with broken Porsche's.

I do regularly hit 9k with mine.

Regards
Fred

FredGT3 said:
The warranty can be bought until the car is 15 years old. Its well worth while regardless.

Porsche have not abandoned owners of 991.1 GT3, not every car has had problems with the E1 engines.

I'm on an E1 engine (original engine replaced prior to delivery) and am not worried personally. Its like the 996/Boxster IMS issue, if the cars were as unreliable as it seems from the internet the roads on our fair island would be littered with broken Porsche's.

Regards
Fred

Must be time to meet up again Fred. I really would like to hear that engine from the inside :)

FredGT3 said:

Regards
Fred

But how many miles have you put on it? 30000+ ? More?

I fancy a rant, so here goes....

I've been a loyal, though not the most prolific Porsche customer, buying only new, and spending several hundred thousand pounds on their products and services, over the years..

Despite following my dealers advice about to apply for a GT3 I've been told that they're sold out.. For the second time..

This is utter tosh and BS imo, there's no reason that the mighty Porsche/VAG can't produce these cars in unlimited numbers should they so desire, and hence this is restrictive practice, and I'm sure that a decent lawyer could form a case on a EU level against them..

Anyway my pockets aren't that deep, but I bet a class action suit could be very interesting...?

So I can't even beg to own a brand new car, which I'll keep and cherish, yet it appears that serial flippers and bloggers, can get their hands on these things, and profit out of them when they move them on. Thus allowing the dealers to make at least twice the profit on the same vehicle!

Despite my love for the brand, ( I refuse to pay overs for something that's not actually rare) I suspect my relationship with Porsche might be coming to an end, and that there might be better places to spend my £150K with...
Perhaps somewhere that might treat me as a customer and not an irritation, any ideas?

When the interest rates start rising, and sales of these trinkets start to falter, I trust all of you who are affected in a similar matter, remind the dealers who are now chasing you for some business, of how things used to be?

Trust me, what goes round comes round.....

Good luck all... :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back