Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

RS suspension alignment

Sutton

Spa-Francorchamps
For those whose suspension has been changed to RS spec (camber, castor, toe), or indeed run an RS, what sort of tyre wear do you experience and what's the longevity of front tyre life? ( I'm aware I can't get RS levels of camber but can get reasonably close).

By this, I mean do your tyres wear evenly across their width, or more on the shoulders.

Tyre life depends on how they are used as well as alignment, but if the wear is particularly heavy on one side, that may be a useful indicator.

I'm currently in the middle of standard / RS spec so am looking at options, hence the question.

Thanks.

Hi, not had chance yet to put that many miles on my Michelin PS2's to get any meaningful data but after a couple of K they still look absolutely fine, with no excessive wear or edge feathering. Chris Franklin set it up with a bit extra -ve camber too.

HTH, let me know if there are any other specific settings you need.

James :thumb:

Thanks James.

That's really useful. There really doesn't appear to be a downside with RS alignment. Chris worked his magic on my C4 and brought lightness and more feel to the steering but it can be sharpened further. The extra camber you have over the standard RS setting must be great.

I'm running a front strut brace, steering rack brace and welded tie rods which have all helped with structural rigidity and improved the turn in and feedback.

I don't have or plan to fit the RS carriers, tie rods, monoball mounts, or camber plates at this stage. My fear is greatly increased NVH, particularly from the monoball set up in a car that sees normal road driving as well as the odd foray on track ( if I can keep it off the grass) :wink:

If you're able to share your thoughts on suspension NVH of your RS on normal roads, that would be great. Is it particularly intrusive?

Sutton said:
If you're able to share your thoughts on suspension NVH of your RS on normal roads, that would be great. Is it particularly intrusive?

The ride is very compliant with no excessive Noise, Vibrations or Harshness.

I'm running the standard RS Bilstein's (rebuilt in 2004) which performed well when Chris tested, inverted B6 mono tubes on the front and non inverted B6 on the rear. It's definately a tighter, sharper set up in comparison to my previous 993. Only increase in cabin noise comes from road roar and engine due to the reduced insulation, but not too intrusive. Nothing to report with extra noise from the RS suspension set up. :thumbs:

Appreciate your feedback James.

I'm leaning even further towards RS geometry and am resisting the siren call of those other parts for now....

MattyR is looking to organise a meeting at Brands Hatch so if I see you there, let me get you a coffee! :thumbs:

:thumbs: You're welcome. If Brands was a bit nearer (300 mile round trip) I would take you up on your offer 8)

Good luck resisting the siren :grin:

CoG set mine up and I have not had any problems with tyre wear. The handling is spot on with the possbility to increase negative front camber at the top mounts if neccessary but I won't be tracking it. I'm using the S2. All the settings are book RS with PSS10's set at 3 front and 5 rear. Ride height is within RS range and corner balanced. Front and rears are approx half worn with even wear on PS2's. I have found that with the Evo tie rods and RS uprights the steering ratio has changed with the std 993 rack, feels odd at first, a bit twitchy and nervous til you get used to it, much greater feedback.
My old wheels went on the S2.

Attachments

• oulton_park_152.jpg
    oulton_park_152.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 2,744
That's a beautiful S2. She's running quite a bit lower than standard?

Thanks for the feedback on the RS geometry. I've heard that for road use PSS10 at 4 and 6 are good starting points so it looks like you're moving it to a setting that suits you better. That's the beauty of that system. I've also seen recommendations to set KT at 3-3.5 although I don't know if that's suitable for pure road use.

There's no point having a car that oversteers into the shrubbery at the first opportunity!

The S2 is running at 968CS ride height, it looks slightly compressed in the pic especially at the rear. She has a hard life as occasional track day car and daily winter car. Again set up at CoG. Chris and Pete really know their Porsches and will set the car up to the drivers intended use. I did have the rear toe on the 993 reset at 9m after a local garage forgot to tighten the kinetic arm adjustment bolt when replacing a UJ boot.

They certainly do know their onions. I'm doing some other bits and pieces which will need having corner weights resetting so will have a think about alignment settings and discuss with them also.

Hopefully the handling wasn't too evil if the arm was moving around on that side.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back