Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Learner Driver Policy

mikeluke

Our lad will be 17 on Sunday and we have been through the rigmarole of getting car/Insurance sorted for him. Can't claim that this is the 'best' answer, as I am sure that there are loads of different combinations out there - however, Adrian Flux seem to have a good approach to this:

We've got granny's old Fiesta - worth about £250 but went through the MOT with a couple of really minor issues (about £100 to sort) - registered in his name, with him as the policy holder - came in at just under £400 for the year. Just to point out that this is a specific policy for learners - invalid after 12 months or as soon as he passes his test, whichever comes sooner - partial refund available up to 8 months in.

Understand that this would not work for everyone, but seemed like a good option for us and may be of interest to others out there.

We found a massive difference on the price comparison sites - tried 3 major ones - cheapest result varied from £400 to £1200! In the end we called Adrian Flux directly and got a slighter better deal than via the comparison site.

Mike

That seems incredibly good value, when you hear the horror stories of ££££ premiums for new drivers.

Scary to think in 3 yrs time my older daughter will be old enough to be on the road

:drive:

Sounds great value.

We did it slightly different in that i added my 17 year old with her Mini onto our multicar policy in her own name as a learner with Admiral. Cost about £800 with my wife as a named driver (tip it would have been £100 more with both of us as named drivers)

The plus for doing the above was that she earned a NCB. So now that she has passed her test the premium is less 1 year discount (can't tell you what the year cost is atm as the policy doesn't renew until middle of this month)

Good info. Nice to know there is a cheap(er) way in for new and learner drivers. Now... I've got to go and add a new car to my existing AVIVA policy. With all the combinations and variations there's another four hours of my time gone.... :grin:

mikeluke said:
We've got granny's old Fiesta - worth about £250 but went through the MOT with a couple of really minor issues (about £100 to sort) - registered in his name, with him as the policy holder - came in at just under £400 for the year.

That's a very good deal.

With the advice of many on here, I insure my 17-year old with the L-Driver policy which is about £300 for 4 months. But...I have to insure the car in my name too on a separate policy which is another £300 pa.

Adrian Flux seemed quite good when I spoke to them about insuring my son when he passed his test. I want to get him a Jeep or something large. Seems crazy that insurers only want new drivers to drive around in little 1.1 cars.

Well, he isn't going anywhere near the Porsche for a while!

:)

Similar here. Our daughter is 17. Got her an 06 plate clio for a grand or so in her name.

Flux Direct (adrian flux i presume) charged her (us) £400 for a learner policy with my wife and I as named drivers.

Sounds like the exact same policy as the OP. The rub is that my wife and I could drive it as our own car if we wanted, but then is £400 for this a good deal?

Anyway, first lesson out with me in passenger seat and she narrowly avoids taking the back end off a new C class merc which was parked up. There was a car approaching her, she flapped but froze and I yanked on the handbrake! I think she was about 3mm from her first accident :eek:

Her mother has been taking her out since.... Apparently she is getting much better :floor:

My daughter has a Citroen C2 and that was about £400 to insure her as she learnt but, I was amazed that when she passed her test it went up to £1200! The car is worth £800 and they even loaded the policy with £850 excess but, I guess they calculated the risk and that's the cost. I just hope it goes down next year...

rocket_richard said:
My daughter has a Citroen C2 and that was about £400 to insure her as she learnt but, I was amazed that when she passed her test it went up to £1200!

Why is that a surprise? Previously she was only insured to drive while supervised by an experienced driver able to tell her what to do in any unfamiliar situation and never on a motorway. As soon as she has a licence she can drive a car load of inebriated friends on unfamiliar roads anywhere she chooses, this despite the fact that she will be no better a driver than she was the day that she passed the test. Surely it is simple logic that the insurable risk just increased...
:?:

Benjs said:
Just got the renewal notice. £1200 + £650 excess, which for a 2005 mini one 1.6 i'm happy with

I got Admiral down to £650 for a 2003 Mini 1.6 petrol - 2nd yr driving but no NCD :roll: . Unfortunately when I upgraded the car after the chocolate gearbox failed to a 2011 diesel One model it went to £1200 :pc:

Zingari said:
Benjs said:
Just got the renewal notice. £1200 + £650 excess, which for a 2005 mini one 1.6 i'm happy with

I got Admiral down to £650 for a 2003 Mini 1.6 petrol - 2nd yr driving but no NCD :roll: . Unfortunately when I upgraded the car after the chocolate gearbox failed to a 2011 diesel One model it went to £1200 :pc:

Interesting. I may use that as a negotiating point. That said she has only passed her test two weeks ago so i may struggle (however the three other cars pushing the overall premium up to £2800 will need to come down)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back