Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Leather dash care?

I use LTT leathercare products from forum member Judyb who is the technical director for this company and very knowledgeable drop her a PM she is always happy to help. and offer advice on what , how etc.

http://lttleathercare.com/

Ursa911 said:
Ordered some Gliptone cleaner GT12 today whic comes with a free cloth but wondered what is best to apply it with? I've read women's make up sponges over a cloth.....thoughts?
Best way to apply and remove the excess or do I let it absorb?

I dab little bits on with a soft brush dipped in water and gently work into the grain of the leather.

I have purchased some Gliptone cleaner and conditioner, as well as a leather cleaning brush and a sponge for the conditioner. Will give this a go at the weekend.

A friend of mine at work has mentioned that you shouldn't do the clean/condition whilst the leather is cold... Any truth in this? How cold is cold?!

Rob325114 said:
I have purchased some Gliptone cleaner and conditioner, as well as a leather cleaning brush and a sponge for the conditioner. Will give this a go at the weekend.

A friend of mine at work has mentioned that you shouldn't do the clean/condition whilst the leather is cold... Any truth in this? How cold is cold?!

The idea is that its best done on warm leather as the surface opens up a bit, making it easier to clean in the surface imperfections. It won't do any harm on cold leather, but IME it works best warmed up. I use a little steam cleaner from Aldi!

Robertb said:
Rob325114 said:

The idea is that its best done on warm leather as the surface opens up a bit, making it easier to clean in the surface imperfections. It won't do any harm on cold leather, but IME it works best warmed up. I use a little steam cleaner from Aldi!

Thanks - i guess it makes snese as warm leather feels more pliable and likely to let more of the cleaner/conditioner get inside the porous material. Presumably a morning drive with the seat heaters on would provide a similar heating effect to your steam cleaner!

Gliptone is fine when the dash is dirty, which it seldom is. I use chemical guys inner clean or silk shine which is fine for leather and also does plastics vinyl and sat nav screens etc. A lot easier with one product for the whole interior. Its a matt non sticky finish.

Thanks for the replies all, dash is clean (just dusty) and seats don't look too bad although I'm sure must be grubby. I mostly bought this for the steering wheel which looks shiny caused by oil from hands on the leather at 3 and 9 o'clock 113k of miles for you and also to freshen up the gear knob.

So yea, my interior really needed a clean...

The bucket I was rinsing my cloth in went very grubby, to the extent I started to panic that I was washing off the colour from the leather!

@Ursa911- for cleaning steering wheels/gearknob, try the leather cleaner neat onto the wheel with a lightly wet soft brush to work it in. Do this a couple of times, comes up a treat. I've been very impressed with the Zymol leather cleaner of the various ones I've tried, you can get it from Halfords.

Robertb said:
The bucket I was rinsing my cloth in went very grubby, to the extent I started to panic that I was washing off the colour from the leather!

Oh same! I was inspecting the cloth with some scrutiny to check it was just dirt from my ar$e over a couple of years!

The steering wheel in particular has come out really well. I had a mega shine at 2 o'clock. It's lovely, matt and soft now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back