Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CLR Project Leichtbau: adding lightness to the tune of 250kg

Just taken a little video of the problem

ELA said:
GT4 said:
Re: logo, I'd simplify by dropping all the lower accents (ie leaving just top surface hints, as if seeing light glinting off bonnet, windscreen, roof, and decklid/ducktail)

Thanks for the feedback Paul. There is a bit of a cryptic reason why I designed it like this. All will be revealed soon :thumb:

Does the car also double as a boat?

You are James May and I claim my five pounds!

32aa1bc2c897dd0e128573b20712597d.jpg

Still looks like a vacuum/aos pipe leak to me bud.

You don't need to always get smoke for it to be an aos issue either. In fact only a few weeks ago I was doing a little service on my boxster and took the AOS pipe off to check it whilst the engine was running. Engine started doing exactly what yours is doing, but no smoke.

Obvious observation but did you re-check the vac pipe you sealed up when you removed the power steering?

Interested to hear what the eventual cause is when you track it down. :?:

ELA said:
Sorry guys been in hospital; was working on the car when this sudden pain put a halt on proceedings, thought I'd have some sort of heart attack, so been on EGC, blood tests, xray... Turns out it is just some muscle tear near the heart so back on it again now :)

Had the same thing a few years ago and I can testify to A. How painful it is B. How scary it is!! All sorts go through your mind... I was in A&E at 2am on my knees and no one seemed to believe me.. just kept giving me Gaviscon!!

Good to hear you're ok and the car is coming along.

Just a thought: I recently removed the PSE exhaust. There was a vacuum reservoir and check valve that I removed as they were requested to be sent as parts of the PSE system. Are these not needed on a stock car? I disconnected the vacuum pipe and plugged it closed, but just wondering if this canister/reservoir + checkvalve are actually needed?

Ok .. no, 30 here is the carbon canister valve i was talking about ..
No. 6 will be the brake pedal servo connection from the engine.

http://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?MAK=3&MDL=25&TBL=2535&SMA=&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

No.6 here is the vacumnn containor i was talking about and some of the pipes ..

http://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?MAK=3&MDL=25&TBL=2536&SMA=&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

I had a thought that the throttle angle is wrong and so the tps ( under the iav ) is saying the throttle is open to the dme , you would need to back off the throttle plate to closed position and see what that does .. i think you mentioned it had an adjuster screw.

Replace the maf as this may all be just down to its got dirty whilst off the car but either way i dont like the maf readings as they are wrong.

90% of the problems I've ever had with my car have been down to the MAF failing (something they seem to do with great rapidity).

This is in no way a suggestion that this is what has gone wrong here, of course, merely an observation.

Gents thank you all for the contributions :thumb:
Looks like I have found the problem :D

Well done Ragpicker :worship:
Found a vacuum pipe under the LH bank disconnected, looks like it was one that goes to the AOS. Very small vacuum line probably only 3mm internal diameter but enough to cause this issue. I basically connected it up then started the car. Idle (cold) was very high 2500rpm but stable; I will adjust idle tomorrow, I had to shut it back down again as it is very loud at this time of night on a Sunday. Looking back now I see how this was caused. I recently decided to remove the rear power feed line that attaches to the RH bank, from where you can jump start the car. This removed about 0.5kg of heavy cable and I connected it directly to the starter motor. In re-routing this fairly rigid heavy cable it must have pulled this vacuum line out. Here is the offending vacuum line (picture taken from under the inlet manifold:

Shame to have now bought 2x Lambda sensors, a MAF sensor and ICV for nothing :grin: I'll give myself a massive :wack:

Turns out it wasn't the complete fix. Today I checked to see if last nights find had finally resolved this issue. Idled perfect for about 40sec then a check light came on and started with the pops and bangs again, but stable idle this time. At least I had a fault code this time though, well 4 of them to be precise:

-P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
-P0304 - misfire is detected in cylinder 4
-P0305 - misfire is detected in cylinder 5
-P0306 - misfire is detected in cylinder 6

So it was clearly something relating to the RH bank. After a further check, I found another hose disconnected underneath a wiring loom at the rear of cylinder 4 near the MAF plug. (I've moved the loom out of the way in this pic, as you can't see this hose when the loom is correctly located):

Once connected all problems now sorted :)

A bit of a behind the scenes video warts n all, including quick exhaust test.

Top work Richie. Mind you if your lass lives with you I can see why she maybe doesn't share your enthusiasm. It's like a Royal Mail sorting office in there. :grin:

I've just re read the thread in its entirety. It's funny looking back at your first post where you were pondering how far to go. I also noticed you're using an Odyssey 680 battery. How is it holding up? I've just bought the Rennline bracket so will be buying a 680 and AGM suitable charger.

Also you mentioned you may fit a shallower steering wheel at some point. I may well be interested in your cup wheel if you part with it. Just ping me a message please if you ever do.

As ever, it's brilliant watching the development of this car. I can't believe how much gubbins you've managed to delete from that engine bay.

Stop it with those pretendy heart attacks though. They eat into valuable tinkering time. :D
On a serious note though, I'm glad it turned out to be minor.

Anyhow, as you were ....

Marky911, you poor thing having to read all this, is it a cry for help/some form of self-harming :grin:
With so many things on right now, the steering wheel is not something I've had a chance to look into just yet. Once I've finished the car, it may be an area I revisit and of course I'll give you a shout :thumb:
Thank you for the well wishes, too much to sort out with this project to worry about other problems, so rest assured I'm not losing any time from the mancave :thumb:

Finally a meaningful update. Wheels on, well two of them at least:

Now onto perhaps something a little more controversial, having given this much thought and considered all the options one could imagine, I've done something a bit crazy. Bear with me, there is at least some reason behind this. I always intended on producing a wolf in sheep's clothing but in the final hour, I've come up with this. Now I've stuck as best I can to original Porsche heritage and historically significant styles with this build. Well here is my inspiration for this latest idea:

Well here we are then:

I did consider a complete colour change, Gulf Blue, Gelb Grun... but this has all been done before so decided to try something a little different. Wont be to everyone's taste I'm sure, but it is certainly not something you see everyday or may want to for that matter :grin: I mean come on; this fried egged beast has a hard enough time without me going all Joseph's technicoloured dream coat on it's @ss

WOW! Love the colour.

996 Outlaw.... Magnus Walker watch out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back