Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

On March 1st...

Norfolk & Idea said:
rossman999 said:
kurlykris said:
You don`t start your Porsche for 3 months :?:

Mine ( both SORN`d ) are started and run up to temp at least once per week, moved around a bit ( to make sure the brake discs dont get too rusty ) and then put back to bed :grin:

No use is just as bad as abuse in my book :sad:

My understanding is that weekly starts are actually the worst things you can do for a laid up engine. Its common practice in the motorcycle world to lay up bikes over the salty period and the accepted wisdom is to change the oil before storage and either fill or drain the fuel tank and dont touch it.

This is my understanding too. All I've done during the lay up is pumped the tyres up to circa 60psi. All fluid levels are checked/new and correct and a full tank of petrol. Come the time I'll adjust tyre pressure down and away I'll go. Gently warming as usual... Can't bloody wait, feels like I'm getting it again!! Woooo!!

I've wondered this... if you start a car up, leave it idling and switch it off when its warm then its just spent 10 mins with the bores being washed with petrol, running relatively cold. Added up over the course of a winter lay up that is a lot of low temp running.

I suppose there may be merit in pulling a fuse so you can spin the engine on the starter for a bit longer to get oil swished about a bit before you start the car.

easternjets said:
Have you got a conditioner on, or do you have a battery charger you can hook up this weekend?
I use one of those cheapy Lidl conditioners and it takes a good over night charge to get it up to full but then it starts on the button.
If you do put a normal batt charger on put it on it's lowest setting.

Yes it sits on a ctek when in the garage. i also dont lock it. so it has no alarm set and nothing drawing current. it can go a month without any conditioning and still be at full capacity.

rossman999 said:
My understanding is that weekly starts are actually the worst things you can do for a laid up engine. Its common practice in the motorcycle world to lay up bikes over the salty period and the accepted wisdom is to change the oil before storage and either fill or drain the fuel tank and dont touch it.

I honestly don`t think that there is a "right" way to lay a vehicle up for a long period of time :dont know:

From experience as an engineer, I`d rather keep all the oil seals from drying out/cracking by keeping them doused in oil, similarly in cold/damp conditions I`d rather that condensation didn`t form on any bearings and run to the bottom of an oil free bearing causing them to pit or rust ( which is what we`ve found with spindle bearings sitting on a storage rack, then failing when fitted to a machine tool, in fact we make sure that they are rotated every week while on the rack )
I also like to keep the heating/cooling systems working and not rotting away unnoticed, while also airing the car out :grin:

Personal preference I suppose :thumb:

Jcx said:
Rob325114 said:
Do you live anywhere near London? I would be happy to pop over every two weeks to take the turbo out for a drive. I promise it will be fully warmed up and legs stretched appropriately. No payment required.

Closer to Cambridge... but thanks anyway :thumbs: You are a selfless man to be so giving with your time.

Yes, I am MUCH closer.. Happy to assist.

toobusy said:
Jcx said:
Rob325114 said:
Do you live anywhere near London? I would be happy to pop over every two weeks to take the turbo out for a drive. I promise it will be fully warmed up and legs stretched appropriately. No payment required.

Closer to Cambridge... but thanks anyway :thumbs: You are a selfless man to be so giving with your time.

Yes, I am MUCH closer.. Happy to assist.

Ah you guys... blush.

kurlykris said:
From experience as an engineer, I`d rather keep all the oil seals from drying out/cracking by keeping them doused in oil, similarly in cold/damp conditions I`d rather that condensation didn`t form on any bearings and run to the bottom of an oil free bearing causing them to pit or rust ( which is what we`ve found with spindle bearings sitting on a storage rack, then failing when fitted to a machine tool, in fact we make sure that they are rotated every week while on the rack )
I also like to keep the heating/cooling systems working and not rotting away unnoticed, while also airing the car out :grin:

Personal preference I suppose :thumb:

My thoughts exactly !

When we do a rebuild we will take the fuel pump fuse out or just generally disable the car from starting , then spin it over for a bit to get oil pressure then start it .. i think you are after this sort of advise :dont know:

Not really needed if its just not been used for a while but its an option i guess :D

Pretty much just read the first post here so if already covered then ignore .

Demort said:
When we do a rebuild we will take the fuel pump fuse out or just generally disable the car from starting , then spin it over for a bit to get oil pressure then start it .. i think you are after this sort of advise :dont know:

Not really needed if its just not been used for a while but its an option i guess :D

Pretty much just read the first post here so if already covered then ignore .

Perfect thx D!

I'm guessing JCx is out and about...mine is in the OPC service bay for a new moll battery..apparently this one is "modified to last longer" whatever that means :dont know:

I think the most important thing is to put clean oil in it befor you put it away. I personally wouldnt start it up every week unless that involved getting the oil up to temperature for some time, as the worst thing you want is condensation. I have been monitoring the condensation build up in the oil filler cap over the last few months, its definitely worse on cold days, and thats with a run. Back in the day I swapped a running Lambretta Li 125 for a
Royal Enfield Constellation non runner. After warming the magneto in the oven I got it started and ran it for a week until the main bearings started rumbling. On removal most of the ball bearings had no case hardening left, they had sat in acidic old oil for a year or so. Now I'm not for one minute comparing that old bike with a 997 but its worth considering especially as the IMS bearing sits in oil when the engine isn't running. As for seals drying out and cracking, not sure about that with modern day materials, but happy to learn.

G2 said:
I'm guessing JCx is out and about...mine is in the OPC service bay for a new moll battery..apparently this one is "modified to last longer" whatever that means :dont know:

Oh i was, yes! 8)

Robertb said:
Norfolk & Idea said:
rossman999 said:
kurlykris said:
You don`t start your Porsche for 3 months :?:

Mine ( both SORN`d ) are started and run up to temp at least once per week, moved around a bit ( to make sure the brake discs dont get too rusty ) and then put back to bed :grin:

No use is just as bad as abuse in my book :sad:

This is my understanding too. All I've done during the lay up is pumped the tyres up to circa 60psi. All fluid levels are checked/new and correct and a full tank of petrol. Come the time I'll adjust tyre pressure down and away I'll go. Gently warming as usual... Can't bloody wait, feels like I'm getting it again!! Woooo!!

I've wondered this... if you start a car up, leave it idling and switch it off when its warm then its just spent 10 mins with the bores being washed with petrol, running relatively cold. Added up over the course of a winter lay up that is a lot of low temp running.

I suppose there may be merit in pulling a fuse so you can spin the engine on the starter for a bit longer to get oil swished about a bit before you start the car.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this, my bike gets laid up from around mid October to about April, it doesn't need to be started every week but gets a good warm up about once a month, put in gear and moved around a bit and then stored again making sure the front tire is resting in a different place to avoid any flat spots (much softer tires than cars).

Things can get gummed up and stuck if they are left for too long, especially if the garage is damp and cold. My Ducati lives in a heated space in the winter months because just like the 997 bits will just rot if not treated with care. Also gets a good coat of ACF 50, WD40 and Silicone Spray on various bits and pieces!

Easiest thing for the car is just keep driving it and clean as much salt spray off regularly!

Just taxed my car, £515! :sad:

Tyre pressures and fluid levels all checked. It hasn't been started since October, hopefully the CTEK has done its job!

Look out for me 'making progress' around Saarfark and Naarfark this weekend!

:driving:

1st March 2007 took delivery of then new 997 turbo. Driven her every year since. :D

I don't think I could go 48h without driving a 911.
I'd get withdraw symptoms and probably start stamping my right foot all the time whist making funny broom broom noises.

I'm one miserable git when we are on holiday which is why this year I'm taking the car 😜

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back