Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Turbo starter motor , reconditioned units not that good

Lordglenmorangie

Nurburgring
Hi, as per post title, has anyone experienced problems with replacement starter motors myself and son have had new starter motors fitted in the last few months.
On picking my sons car up after a full service and a new starter it wouldn't start to leave the garage, my car got me home but two days latter showed the same symptoms before it had a new clutch and starter.
Both cars had the new starters replaced

Both cars went to different independents who are very well respected and we have no complaints about them. It appears these Bosch reconditioned starters are frankly very poor. Anyone else experienced this problem ?

As a footnote my sons car is starting to not start again :D

Sorry but I've had no experience of that so nothing to add :)

What was the difference in price between a new and reconditioned unit?

Sorry , missed this thread ..

Recon units are old worn out starters that have a few bits chucked at them , tested then sold .. Oh they get painted as well.

new units .. are new units .. but normally a lot more expensive than the recon unit cost .

I would be a little dubious that 2 seperate cars have the same issue and its the recon starters failing , its possible one or both are seperate faults and not actually the starter .

Either way a recon unit is only as good as the company repairing it , imho they are fine but dont tend to last as long as say a new one would .. but they are a lot cheaper as far as im aware.

What is the difference ? Never offered a new unit so don't know if we have saved anything. Actually not a saving as time of road and taking back to garage .

Most places offer a recon unit as its cheaper .. i know with alternators it can be as much as 8 times the cost for a new unit , not sure on starters though .. i just fix the cars :D

Demort said:
Most places offer a recon unit as its cheaper .. i know with alternators it can be as much as 8 times the cost for a new unit , not sure on starters though .. i just fix the cars :D

I think it's the same with starter motors, our indies know we are tight wads and I am old so worried if they fit a new unit I may have a heart attack on site :D :D

Touch wood mine OK now :thumb:

Not sure of the cost of recon units, but my nw Bosch was £369+VAT from an Indy.

J

James4444 said:

J

Cheers for that, dam it , both my son and I would have thought the new motor at that price would not be too expensive :eek:

James4444 said:

J

If that if for a brand new Bosch starter motor I would be surprised? Recon OE Bosch ones seem to be around that price though. :dont know:

Just had a recon starter motor fitted to my Turbo and it was £319.95 +vat and +fitting from my Indy (exchange price).

basildon993 said:
James4444 said:

J

If that if for a brand new Bosch starter motor I would be surprised? Recon OE Bosch ones seem to be around that price though. :dont know:

Just had a recon starter motor fitted to my Turbo and it was £319.95 +vat and +fitting from my Indy (exchange price).

I was thinking that

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back