Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Turbo grinding noise on cold startup

graemeho

Nurburgring
Had to move car out the garage this morning. On startup metallic grinding noise which lasted about 2 secs then stopped. I'm thinking maybe alternator bearing issue? Temp was very cold (-4deg) may have caused this to show up now. Starter motor is brand new (4 weeks old) so isn't that

Anyone had similar happen?

Thanks
Graeme

I've had the same matey,

happens once in a blue moon, lasts less than 2s - tends to happen mainly in a morning but its happened in the summer as well as the winter.

OPC never found anything untoward on any services, even when I mentioned this to them and tried to do it in front of them ( I failed as its so rare).

maybe its a feature of the Mezger engine, much like bore scoring on 997.1 and now 997.2 engines

:floor:

Mine does the same very occasionally. First time it did it I nearly shat myself, but I did some googling and from what I read its perfectly normal to do it occasionally.

My 996 turbo always sounds well rough for the first couple of seconds if I have not started it for a week or so. I presume it is just where the oil has settled to the bottom of the engine. Quite normal I guess and the engine is under no load. I do make a point of letting it run for a minute or so before setting off. Again only if it has been sat for a week or so.

Thanks everyone, good to hear I'm not alone. Will monitor and see if it happens again.

Also not alone as also Shat myself when it happened , just not a nice thing to hear :eek:

Not a feature on your previous car Graham. 😉

Some follow up on this. I've noticed that this still seems to occur went starting from cold after the car has been standing for a couple of days. Asked my Indy for advise who said they've seen this a lot. Odds on it's the chain tensioner which is dry of oil for a couple of seconds until oil pressure rises when cold. Not serious just very annoying. I wondered about changing grade of oil from 0w-40 to 5w-40 to see if might help?

Thicker oil might take longer de coat the bearing when stood but may take longer to circulate and generate pressure when cold. Grasping at straws

Anyone :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back