Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 turbo struggling to start

Gazc2

Over the last while the car has been a bit of a struggle to start at times turning the key and just ckick or sometimes fails to fire so are the key culprits the clutch switch ? battery not sure how old it is, I leave it sitting on the conditioner . I have had a look at the earth lead to the chassis which looks absolutely fine so do we think clutch switch first then battery as a plan of attack?

Id be leaning towards the battery cos if pressing the clutch and the car tries to start then the switch is ok !!

J

what he said....

My input FWIW is that your problem could very well be a lazy starter motor.
I had similar issues with my .1 Turb even though my battery was brand new.
Another forum member (Kam) was also having trouble and suggested i changed my starter as he'd already done with his.

BINGO....It solved two problems in one!! Not only does my car now startup everytime like it is on steroids but it's also cured my longstanding 'cold startup' rev flair issue which was incredibly annoying and not uncommon on Metzger engined 997tt's

Cheers Boys for the replies I will get a new battery first see how we go , I will also have a shufty at the starter motor when I get a chance mine also suffers from the rev flare up at start up occasionaly factory blurb attached about the pulse sender measurments causing the revs to raise for info

Attachments

• wm_287315_adjusting_pulse_sender_1_129.pdf
    172.8 KB · Views: 139
Gazc2 said:
Cheers Boys for the replies I will get a new battery first see how we go , I will also have a shufty at the starter motor when I get a chance mine also suffers from the rev flare up at start up occasionaly factory blurb attached about the pulse sender measurments causing the revs to raise for info

Yes new battery 1st if your current one is unhealthy.
Forget the idea of adjusting the pulse sender Gaz, it's major hassle to get to and has been proved not to work. Porsche were receiving a lot of complaints about Rev flair and rushed this one out somewhat in an attempt to find a fix.
For apprx £150 and 20 mins fitting i really would try a new starter after replacing the battery .

Well - it isn't the clutch switch as there would be a message telling you to depress the clutch in the instrument cluster (even though you were already so doing) if the switch had failed.

The symptoms point to battery - I'll be surprised if a new one doesn't resolve it so another vote for that from me.

New starter motor , common on 997 , both my son and I have replaced ours. Also the new starter motors failed within days of fitting so replaced.

We both shorted clutch switch out to isolate problem, that's fun upside down in the footwell :D

Sound like starter motor I'm afraid.

Same symptoms as a problem I had a few months ago.

The give away is the click, my indy said if you hear the click (when it doesn't start or is slow) and otherwise when it does start the car is fine, then the battery is most probably fine and its the starter motor.

Mins was a starter motor problem.

Had a bosch fitted as apparently some of the others are troublesome and unreliable. Part was £370 +VAT. Job was £587 all in fitted at an indy.

J

Wow James you know how to cheer a guy up on a Monday morning, now I`m a bit old school when it comes to starter motors and Alternators and remember the days of the wee man in the workshop in the corner of the street who used to repair such things sadly they are very hard to find these days however all parts are readily available and being an electrical engineer quite enjoy working on these things so will probably strip the starter and give it a once over before spending copious amounts on a new one.

however how easy/accessable is it to pull it out hopefully easier than changing a spark plug on a turbo :mechanic:

Well I've done plugs and coil packs but not a starter motor and from what I can see you don't need to dismantle the rear of the car to get the starter out.
It sits on the top of the engine so you'll need to remove airboxes etc to get to it, part number is 99660410700 or if your not needing the car get yours sent away for a refurb.

My car does the odd 'no catch' start and occasionally an over rev on start up. Just had the starter motor changed as per the recommendations on here and it has made no difference whatsoever! Other than me being quite a bit poorer that is! It may solve some problems, but not in all cases. My car had done 48,000 miles on the original starter motor.

Sorry about that Gazc

I believe it is a fairly straight forward DIY job though. I've changed a fair few starters over years on older cars.

Not sure how serviceable they are. I've replaced brushes on them before but those were 60's and 70's made starters, whether our disposable society has eradicated this option on new ones I don't know.

It did cure my car. From time to time, it just didn't catch, you'd her the click but no starter motor action. I thought it was dodgy switch or something. It wasn't that bad theta the car never started. It was at the Indy for a service and they noticed it and they said straight away its the starter which was a shock. they have seen a few that go this way and eventually it'll just fail.

J

James4444 said:
Had a bosch fitted as apparently some of the others are troublesome and unreliable. Part was £370 +VAT. Job was £587 all in fitted at an indy.J

Mine was Bosch too but only £150 on a core exchange basis!!
Whilst raised on a lift, it is possible to wiggle the old starter out and new starter in without the need to do anything else. Even easier you unbolt and lower the half shaft slightly. I managed without doing the latter.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back