Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Minor, Major, Minor

BlackTurbo

Silverstone
Hi All,

I am thinking ahead to my next service on the 911. Looking back at the history over the last few thousand miles this is what has been done.

Late 2013 - at 68k Major Service+Spark Plugs+Drive Belt
2015 - at 71k Yearly Maintenance + Minor Service
2016 - at 74k Yearly Maintenance + Minor Service

Now I am expecting to do a Major Service this year and this will also include the Brake Fluid change. I am just wondering whether Spark Plugs and Belts will be needed as it is the 4th year since they were done. The reason I ask is because the car has only done 6k miles in total since the last Major Service so wondering whether this is still essential?

I am ok with it either way but just want to make sure I do the right thing come service time.

Had a similar dilemma when I bought my car. My decision was easy, do everything so you know it's been done. I did a major with plugs and belt as soon as I bought it, despite the dealer stating it didn't need doing. I started my own maintenance schedule from that point on.

Shurv said:
Had a similar dilemma when I bought my car. My decision was easy, do everything so you know it's been done. I did a major with plugs and belt as soon as I bought it, despite the dealer stating it didn't need doing. I started my own maintenance schedule from that point on.

That is normally what I would do mate but with a few other pressing bits to do on the car too, its just a case of prioritising where I can at the moment.

I was wondering whether in particular the spark plugs would have definitely needed doing due to the low miles covered. I believe the spark plugs is a pretty labour intensive job on the Turbo's (I may be wrong here though!).

What car are we talking about? If a turbo as your user name suggests the plugs are on the service schedule for every major service.

Thanks for the advice guys. Yes it is a Turbo so will make sure the sparks are done as part of the Major. Seems a shame the car has done so few miles in the last 4 years!!

BlackTurbo said:
Thanks for the advice guys. Yes it is a Turbo so will make sure the sparks are done as part of the Major. Seems a shame the car has done so few miles in the last 4 years!!

I know what you mean but I always ask myself - if I was buying the car and it looked like the plugs hadn't been done on time, what would that tell me? SO I get them done - allows the coil packs to be properly checked and also replaced as necessary, which is all good preventative stuff.

lofi said:
BlackTurbo said:

I know what you mean but I always ask myself - if I was buying the car and it looked like the plugs hadn't been done on time, what would that tell me? SO I get them done - allows the coil packs to be properly checked and also replaced as necessary, which is all good preventative stuff.

Yep totally agreed. This is stuff I find myself double checking because in my previous cars which were all modern german performance (think Audi, BMW etc) the intervals between spark plugs and oil changes etc were very long!

No way would I be changing plugs that had only done 6k !!!???

As for them being a pointer to a cared for or uncared for car. It's very easy to spot a pampered car way before you get into spark plug records.

Upto you op but if the car is pampered in every other way and you're about to add a load of other parts to sort other areas then skip the plugs until next year when they'll have done what? An intergalactic 8k. :grin:

There's being thorough and there's being daft.

Just my 2p worth. :thumb:

If you do go down the new spark plug route may I suggest a full engine strip and rebuild along with a bare metal respray, you know, while you're in there an' all that. :grin:

Oh and I fully expect someone to come on explaining about condensation creeping through the intake system and chomping away on your spark plugs. Always be mindful of that pesky creepy condensation.
Reminds me of the film "The Fog".

Always good to hear an alternative view - I tend to look at the whole picture, skipped plug changes being a part of that overall view. Whether its necessary or not, in your view, it is deemed part of the service requirements set out in the service book written by Porsche.

Marky911 said:
No way would I be changing plugs that had only done 6k !!!???

As for them being a pointer to a cared for or uncared for car. It's very easy to spot a pampered car way before you get into spark plug records.

Upto you op but if the car is pampered in every other way and you're about to add a load of other parts to sort other areas then skip the plugs until next year when they'll have done what? An intergalactic 8k. :grin:

There's being thorough and there's being daft.

Just my 2p worth. :thumb:

If you do go down the new spark plug route may I suggest a full engine strip and rebuild along with a bare metal respray, you know, while you're in there an' all that. :grin:

Oh and I fully expect someone to come on explaining about condensation creeping through the intake system and chomping away on your spark plugs. Always be mindful of that pesky creepy condensation.
Reminds me of the film "The Fog".

This was my initial thinking as i have had cars before that have atleast 30-40k between any spark plug changes but I also do understand the point that Porsche state that the plugs must be done during a major service.

Hi Lofi,
Yes just a difference of opinion. I know that the plugs should be changed according to the book written by Porsche, but that book was written with the expectation that the car will cover 10k/12k miles per annum.
I'm all too aware that the service interval will state a time limit too, e.g. 12k miles or 12 months whatever comes first and whilst I agree that annual maintenance and fresh oil is essential, as these cars fall into the classic category and see limited summer use it is just money down the drain to renew parts after 6k miles that in reality even Porsche expect to only need renewing after 24k miles. Time does not wear spark plugs, use does.

I can see your logic if it were tyres etc as they are age and mileage sensitive but not plugs.

However it's BTs call. All I'll add is that my cars get everything they need and some, but I wouldn't be binning a set of spark plugs after 6k just because the Porsche clock tells me too. If the would be next owner doesn't like it that's fine but they'd be a bit silly to walk away from a pampered, sensibly maintained car because of plugs being done every 3/4 years instead of 2.

And let's not forget Porsche told M96/7 owners that 2 year intervals were fine and look what happened there. :wink:

Black Turbo it's a tough call for you as I can tell you want to maintain the car to the highest standard but also don't want to completely throw money down the drain.
It's a pity a few more people haven't chipped in as there'll be loads of people in the same boat, with cars that cover very low miles. Ask your indy what they'd do. Most of them are sensible about things.

The above is only my view. :thumb:

However the later 996 turbos had 4 year plug changes and I don't think anything about the car is different.

Mine is done every 2nd year, regardless of mileage, plugs at an Indy are only £100-150.

Thanks guys I think I will let my indy decide what he feels is needed and just go with it either way.

He will also be given a bunch of other jobs to do so depending on whether he needs to access the same area he may suggest accordingly.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back