Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCM 2.1 Replacement

I'be fitted a Dynavin in my 987.2, excellent piece of kit and does the whole safety camera thing as well which is useful

:wink:

this is how the pioneer SPH DA120 looks like when fitted with the right colour surround, which is easy to get.

20160720_161932.jpg

Does the Dynavin have things like Apple Carplay, Android Auto etc because if you are doing this, you want to be getting those sort of things without a doubt.

For me, the Dynavin looks a bit old fashioned now, is it due an update?

Surely the best bet is the latest model from pioneer with the right surround? The SPH DA120 is at least 2 years old now, probably more, and you should be getting DAB radio. Though saying that, depends where you live. I live in Hertford, so just outside London, and the wife's DAB radio in her brand new BMW clicks around and loses connection if we venture much further into the countryside, for example, when we were north or Saffron Walden the other day. Hardly in the middle of nowhere!

Seems the DAB signal is still pretty rubbish in places, dread to think what it will be like in deepest Exmoor!

resigner said:
this is how the pioneer SPH DA120 looks like when fitted with the right colour surround, which is easy to get.

Does the Dynavin have things like Apple Carplay, Android Auto etc because if you are doing this, you want to be getting those sort of things without a doubt.

Your Pioneer looks well integrated - nice work. Regarding the Dynavin - I think it's slightly dated look is intentional; to better suit the slightly dated look of the 997. You need to remember the rest of your dash was designed well over a decade ago - and I think the Dynavin is just trying to reflect that.

The absence of Android Auto was the biggest toss up for me between choosing the Dynavin, or an alternative branded provider like Alpine/Pioneer/etc. I settled on the Dynavin for two reasons:

1. I found the reviews of Android Auto on the cheaper media units to be average, at best. Going for a higher end version started to blow the budget I had in mind for something that I essentially just wanted to stream my spotify through. Moreover, the Dynavin allows you to skip songs on Spotify via the normal A2DP Bluetooth functionality - so beyong screen mirroring, the additional outlay seemed wasted.

2. Ease. I found never-ending articles explaining what cables/adapters you needed depending on whether you car has Bose, 8 speakers, 10 speakers, optical loop, etc etc. Then this seemed to change again when you looked at the player you were buying. Halford's told me I needed a £250 CANBUS adapter, or something! The Dynavin promised to replicate the existing PCM2.1 set up in a plug-and-play fashion. It delivered on that promise.

Rob325114 said:
resigner said:

Your Pioneer looks well integrated - nice work. Regarding the Dynavin - I think it's slightly dated look is intentional; to better suit the slightly dated look of the 997. You need to remember the rest of your dash was designed well over a decade ago - and I think the Dynavin is just trying to reflect that.

The absence of Android Auto was the biggest toss up for me between choosing the Dynavin, or an alternative branded provider like Alpine/Pioneer/etc. I settled on the Dynavin for two reasons:

1. I found the reviews of Android Auto on the cheaper media units to be average, at best. Going for a higher end version started to blow the budget I had in mind for something that I essentially just wanted to stream my spotify through. Moreover, the Dynavin allows you to skip songs on Spotify via the normal A2DP Bluetooth functionality - so beyong screen mirroring, the additional outlay seemed wasted.

2. Ease. I found never-ending articles explaining what cables/adapters you needed depending on whether you car has Bose, 8 speakers, 10 speakers, optical loop, etc etc. Then this seemed to change again when you looked at the player you were buying. Halford's told me I needed a £250 CANBUS adapter, or something! The Dynavin promised to replicate the existing PCM2.1 set up in a plug-and-play fashion. It delivered on that promise.

Not sure how a unit itself can effect Android Auto - all the processing is done on the phone isnt it? Which head units got a bad Android-Auto review?

You want a Canbus adapter as this converts the Can signal for 'stereo on' into a switched 12v live to switch the aftermarket stereo on. This is pretty much standard on most cars since 00's - I just did same thing on my Alfa 159.
The Connects2 adapter ALSO converts other signals you want to use in your stereo like headlights on, reverse gear selected (for camera), speed signal (for GPS dropout in tunnels etc). It is basically plug and play.

If you have Bose Amp you have Optical connection from Stereo to Amplifier , for this reason you need a 2nd adapter box to convert the Stereo RCA Output into an Optical signal for the OEM Bose Amp.

2nd box for Bose / Optical is approx £180 I think, for this reason some people just ditch the Optical amp and re-wire a replacement direct to speakers.
You only need an optical loop back if you are breaking the circuit somewhere , the Connects2 kit I used meant I didnt need an optical loop etc.

Pioneer f960 dab

Attachments

• img_0214_172.jpg
    img_0214_172.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 3,951
resigner said:

20160720_161932.jpg

Surely the best bet is the latest model from pioneer with the right surround? The SPH DA120 is at least 2 years old now, probably more, and you should be getting DAB radio. Though saying that, depends where you live. I live in Hertford, so just outside London, and the wife's DAB radio in her brand new BMW clicks around and loses connection if we venture much further into the countryside, for example, when we were north or Saffron Walden the other day. Hardly in the middle of nowhere!

Seems the DAB signal is still pretty rubbish in places, dread to think what it will be like in deepest Exmoor!

I recently bought the same unit to replace my pcm2.1 its great to see how it looks thanks for the picture. Out of interest, where did you mount the gps antenna and mic?

My mic is on steering column and gps antenna is n/s corner of dash where the tax disc used to be :thumb:

my mic is fitted to one of the unused oval covers in the interior light mount. the dab Ariel runs up the inside of the passenger windscreen pillar :thumb:
and the ipod lead runs to the centre console under the armrest. :thumb:

Darn this thread and GT4 with his helpful input. I'm about to be several hundred pounds poorer....... :sad: :pc:

New997buyer said:
Darn this thread and GT4 with his helpful input. I'm about to be several hundred pounds poorer....... :sad: :pc:

Which set up have you decided on Paul :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
New997buyer said:

Mine yet. The disaster is I've decided on on one at all...... :damn:

:thumbs:

New997buyer said:
Phil 997 said:
New997buyer said:

Mine yet. The disaster is I've decided on on one at all...... :damn:

:thumbs:

:floor: :floor: :thumb: you will love being in the 21st century mate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back