Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCM 2.1 Replacement

Terrorv

Hi all, Currently have PCM 2.1 in my 2007 997s cab. As you all know it is horrendously out of date and at times annoying. I would really like to replace it with something more modern that does not look out of place in the car.

I have the Bose, CD multichanger and steering wheel control options.

The system I would like to replace it with must have a good European sat nav as I use the car on euro trips. It must also connect with my phone via Bluetooth so I can play my music and ideally make calls. I would also want it to integrate with my steering wheel controls. Another must is a digital radio so I can listen to Radio 6

I know there has been threads previously on here regarding this but any up to date information would be appreciated. I am in Leicester so would like it to be fitted fairly local to me.

Pioneer Avic-F88dab is current flagship, fit with the x2 Connects2 boxes to hook up the bose and retain the steering wheel controls (as well as give Canbus switched live, illumination, handbrake and speed signal etc).
Integrated Nav as well as Apple Carplay and Android Auto.

Its plug and play, I fitted mine. You might want to hang on and find out who is announcing wireless Carplay support as that is next thing imo.

The cheaper options is a pioneer SPH DA120. Search the forum and you will find the discussions.

The leads are around £250 to make steering wheel controls.

It's perfectly easy to get something else in, and yes, the PCM2.1 is useless. I have an SPH DA120 and very pleased. What it doesn't have is DAB support but otherwise easy to use, works well, sound quality is great.

If you can hang on to the weekend i'll have a Alpine w925r with silver 997 surround and Rainbow amp for sale. I think it has an optical lead from memory too, but not sure if it's the correct one for steering wheel controls. It also comes with an Alpine reversing camera. Whole set up is less than a year old

How do these units retain the functionality for things like headlight options (daytime running / 'Home' duration settings), automatic door locking etc? :?:

Or do they not? :dont know:

No, no further interaction is available (but final states should be preservered)

(although the DME would be reconfigurable using PIWIS etc)

I have the Alpine W925R like Ben is about to sell . it links to my iphone for spotify streaming calls,3d mapping, DAB ,I have an old ipod in the armrest cubby and that holds all my music , films etc also it plays DVD has a nice porsche splash screen , mine doesnt have the alpine reversing camera as it cost extra but a nice feature. you will need a MOST optical interface unless Ben already has one with it . this unit is an Alpine flagship model and expensive new . A few members have fitted this unit and as me are very pleased with it . the only thing they dont do is carplay internet . but I understand you can get a mirrorplay devise to bring it all together if you need that function.

Attachments

• img_1009_137.jpg
    img_1009_137.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 11,698
  • img_0354_213.jpg
    img_0354_213.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 11,698
  • img_0953_167.jpg
    img_0953_167.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 11,698
Hi, thanks for all your replies so far. It is much appreciated.

Ben, do you have the MOST optical interface and is it the Dab version you have?

SPH DA120 has Mirrorlink and Apple carplay, but not android auto.

To be honest, I just use my phone as my sat nav for google maps or waze anyway as its far easier!

Terrorv said:
Hi, thanks for all your replies so far. It is much appreciated.

Ben, do you have the MOST optical interface and is it the Dab version you have?

I'll check with my installer, but i'm not sure on the optical cable. It is DAB though and the reverse camera gets tied in to the gearbox so comes on automatically

I went for the Dynavin N6 PS. It was genuinely plug and play, and looks OEM in the dash. It came with more cables than I required; including CANBUS and MOST. Took 10 minutes to fit - most of that was getting the cables to fit in the tiny space behind the dashboard! The details are on the website below, but I found it cheaper on eBay.

http://www.dynavinstore.com/store/shop/porsche-series/dynavin-n6-ps-black-108.html

I leaning slightly towards the Dynavin N6 PS now. Partly due to the fact that my 997 has the cocoa interior and I think it would look better as the car does not have a great deal of black to tie in with the black surround of the alpine unit. Quite like the pioneer as it is very minimal in the button department.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!

GT4 said:
No, no further interaction is available (but final states should be preservered)

(although the DME would be reconfigurable using PIWIS etc)

:thumbs:

Rob325114 said:
I went for the Dynavin N6 PS. It was genuinely plug and play, and looks OEM in the dash. It came with more cables than I required; including CANBUS and MOST. Took 10 minutes to fit - most of that was getting the cables to fit in the tiny space behind the dashboard! The details are on the website below, but I found it cheaper on eBay.

http://www.dynavinstore.com/store/shop/porsche-series/dynavin-n6-ps-black-108.html

I'm feeling slightly sick at what the Dension BT500 + fitting cost me :frustrated:

That Dynavin looks great, and would definitely go for the DAB radio. When are they turning FM off ??!! :dont know:

Another advantage is getting rid of the worn porsche PCM knobs :puh:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back