Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First Porsche Help

Kev M

Hi everyone im new to the site and Porsches, ive had several quick cars and been in tarmac rallying for many years but im hanging the rally boots up so its time for a Porsche or dare i say Nissan GTR.

I really would like a 997 C4S got a budget around 40k but im concerned about the bore score problems, is there any that dont suffer this problem?

Any pointers ref 997 C4S would be appreciated :thumb:

The 997 variant has a Gen 1 and Gen 2 - go for a gen 2 which started mid 2008 onwards - gen 2 do not seem to have the bore score issues.

Do you want manual or auto (PDK)?

A coupe of cab?

You should be able to pick up a really nice 4S Manual coupe for around £45K.

Not sure about manual or PDK but defo not a convertible.

Would be nice to get PDK i like the idea of flat shift, im used to it on the rally car :)

A 997 C4S is a cracking car! I might be biased though!

A tidy 997.2 C4S is going to set you back between £43k & £53K depending on miles, spec and age. That said there are always deals to be had. OPC ain't cheap but it certainly takes some of the worry out of the process.

My question would be do you really need a C4S? If it's because you HAVE to have the wide body then fine if that's what you want but if it is anything else I would suggest you take a C2S out for a decent drive and compare them if you can. I just bought a C4S and while I love it I can't help looking at other well equipped C2S for significantly less money and wonder if the premium is really worth it. I don't regret my purchase at all, I am merely illustrating that doing your homework is one thing but you have to get into these cars and drive them to really appreciate them fully.

There are of course significant differences between the 2 generations of 997 C4S with the biggest being the price of course but some of the differences may or may not be deal breakers. So again, be clear with yourself about what it is that you want from you purchase. These are still big money even at 6+ years old and there isn't a cheap way of maintaining or running them.

A full PPI with scope etc, reputable dealer and a good warranty should remove most of the fears you might have about ownership but that would be the same for any used performance car purchase.

Oh and enjoy the experience, it really is as good as everyone says it is. 3 months on and I smile every time I look at it. As for driving it though, well there really is nothing else like it for putting a smile on your face without taking your trousers off :)

This might be a daft question but which is the better drive C4S or C2S i assume the 2 will have more power due to less transmission loss

Kev M said:
Hi everyone im new to the site and Porsches, ive had several quick cars and been in tarmac rallying for many years but im hanging the rally boots up so its time for a Porsche or dare i say Nissan GTR.

I really would like a 997 C4S got a budget around 40k but im concerned about the bore score problems, is there any that dont suffer this problem?

Any pointers ref 997 C4S would be appreciated :thumb:

Good evening and welcome, hope you're finding the info on here useful, with that budget, concerns about bore score and considering a GTR - you could get yourself a 996 turbo. I say this as I was considering the same options as yourself when buying and upon researching discovered that the turbo has the mezger engine which isn't prone to these problems. The 997 C4S is still a great car though.

Let us all know what happens.

Cheers NH

Hi OP top gear did a back to back C4s vs C2S in Cardiff in the Rally GB super special indoor track the Stig said the C2S was the better driver even though it was a fraction slower you may find it on YouTube
good luck :thumb:

Kev M said:
This might be a daft question but which is the better drive C4S or C2S i assume the 2 will have more power due to less transmission loss

I don't think there is much in it power wise. Some youtube vids will help you though as there are plenty of comparisons to 4WD and 2WD. Most will tell you that the 2WD is the better and 'purer' driving experience and I have no reason to doubt it. IMHO I would go for a 997.2 C2S over a 997.1 C4S if it was purely about bang for buck etc.

Also worth adding that if you can get a flappy paddle sport design steering wheel (about £1K retro fitted) along with Sports Chrono etc it will significantly enhance the driving experience unless you really like the older design.

Thanks for all the info lads, its good to get feedback from owners instead of Google :)

Im not a fan of the 996 just cant get away with those headlights (sorry)

Two reasons i prefer the C4
1 Wide body
2 Most of my fast driving experience is FWD so i have in my head the 4 wheel drive will suit me better, maybe im not experienced enough to drive RWD

Thats me being honest dont laugh :)

Great excuse to try both :floor:

Kev M said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-911-Carrera-4S-3-8-PDK-Gen-2-with-over-9k-Factory-Options-/262792527714?hash=item3d2fa7bf62:g:QYIAAOSwal5YJcNI
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-9...527714?hash=item3d2fa7bf62:g:QYIAAOSwal5YJcNI

Looks cheap-ish. I might be wrong but those front radiators look like they have been ignored for a while so I would start digging at the receipts of previous works and see whats been done. The front hood pic also looks tatty. With those miles I would expect to see some decent money spent on it. Also worth asking any dealer to send it in for an 111 point OPC check which you can wrangle into the deal but that car I wouldn't go near without some investment in PPI etc. Belts and braces. Arguably being picky but for £40k I think one should be.

Kev M said:
Thanks for all the info lads, its good to get feedback from owners instead of Google :)

Im not a fan of the 996 just cant get away with those headlights (sorry)

Two reasons i prefer the C4
1 Wide body
2 Most of my fast driving experience is FWD so i have in my head the 4 wheel drive will suit me better, maybe im not experienced enough to drive RWD

Thats me being honest dont laugh :)

No laughing here! It's your car and to be honest I wimped out at the thought of a C2S initially but both will do damage in the wrong hands or if not given the respect they deserve ;)

I drove my mates GT2 and GT3 and they were a handful :)

111 OPC check how do you get the check done? Take it to a Porsche dealer?

Kev M said:
I drove my mates GT2 and GT3 and they were a handful :)

111 OPC check how do you get the check done? Take it to a Porsche dealer?

In my limited experience I would say very different animals to a C2S.

And yes 111 OPC can be done at a dealer although a decent PPI would cover the same areas, if not more. Many of the reputable dealers offer to put it through their own 111 check or send it down the road to the nearest OPC although you can't use it to apply a warranty until after 3 months ownership I think.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back