Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HID fitting advice needed

pietrzj

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi, i have just ordered a set of HID lights from bergvillfx. I noticed in one of their videos you have to drill out the bulb hole as the new bulb must be slightly larger than the original. Has anyone fitted these and know what sized hole is needed? I hope there will be some instructions that come with them, but to be fore warned is to be fore armed.

Jan P

Thanks, i just watched the video again and you are right, they don't drill anything they just use a dremel to grond off "high points" if needed.

Thanks for the advice on the plastic dust.

Jan P

Has the kit changed in the last few years? I fitted some 3 or so years ago and no drilling was required.

i paid sylwester a small fee to fit, got it all sorted no issues.

would've taken stab myself if i had the time :-/

If you do need to drill anything, remember to have the headlight lens facing upwards - so that you drill in vertically from underneath. That way, any debris falls downwards and out of the headlight - and not into it :thumb:

Dream911 said:
Has the kit changed in the last few years? I fitted some 3 or so years ago and no drilling was required.

The drilling advice is contingent on the need.

Some units (AFAIK MY dependent) don't require.

+1 on the (obvious) upside down drilling, to avoid any more involved clean up (although at least with the 993, the front lens is removable, should you wish to dust or wipe)

When I did mine a just used a small round file. This seemed to work well as you can just go at it steady to avoid any damage.

Thanks for the trust in my stuff guys!
Some bulbs holders are narrow and needs drilling/filing, and some don't. There seems to have been tolerances in the production of these parts, not linked to production year or model.
The metal is very soft, and a quick round with a small file will do. Please note, the bulb flange keeps it correctly positioned, not the hole in the bulb holder.
As mentioned both here and in the installation manual, keep the headlight bucket upright so the debris falls out of the headlight.

Cheers,
Tore

I think the requirement to drill was dependent on OEM supplier, which correlates closely with MY (although not perfectly, as the 993 was not a JIT production product)

Thanks all i will update this post when i have fitted them

Did you fit them?

I had a bulb go and was planning to replace with HID kit last night but ended up just replacing the bulb as I didn't have time for drilling.

The bulb holder is very soft metal. 3-4 rounds with a round file is usually sufficient to widen the opening. Be sure to hold the headlight bucket upside down when you do this so all debris falls out of the light.
Cheers,
Tore

must admit i was relieved when i discovered i did not need to drill mine.
Made fitting Tore's HIDS very easy. I did need to buy new headlight caps with the holes to mount the igniter, which at £10 must be the cheapest porsche part you can buy!
J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back