Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Itchy feet

AP90 said:
plynchy said:
Personally I don't mind it, although it comes in for a lot of criticism.

But compared to a '93? It's like Nokia 3310 vs iPhone.

C'mon the 3310 was a great bit of kit........it even looks like a 996 centre console :wink:

and about a fortnight battery life. Still have one in a drawer somewhere.

plynchy said:
It's like Nokia 3310 vs iPhone.
Over-priced shiny shiny that'll be practically worthless in 18 months time? :grin:

ETA - just powered up the ol' 3310, and it still seems to work - I wonder if an iPhone will still be serviceable in 16 years from now :D

I love my 993 but I have to admit, being inside a 986/996 generation interior is a much more comfortable experience... better ergonomics (hell, some ergonomics!), better heating, aircon that just works as opposed to barely works, windows that don't steam up if you dare to start with any rain within a 100 miles...

Yes, there are a thousands things that are better on the 993 - that's why I drive one - but the interior is not one of them!

(IMHO with 7 years experience of 986 and 3 years of 993)

Funnily enough, I prefer the interior on the 993.

Classic rather than just dated.

plynchy said:
Interior? :dont know:

I've always liked the interior of the 996s... swoopy curves, nicely leather trimmed, alcantara roof lining, and a nod to its heritage. Very colour sensitive though, looks best in darker colours IMHO.

It all works well too- the climate control is among the most effective I've had in any car.

That said, I do miss the 'safe door' thunk of my 993 door closing and the rifle bolt gear shift feel.

I never really got the ergonomics argument, I always found the 993 interior very functional and it all works.

It's a bit like an aircraft cockpit, quirky rather than unergonomic

What aspects of it are unergonomic?

I agree about the steaming up in the rain, that is crap, this piss poor headlights and wipers and asthmatic air con.

In all seriousness I have heard the 996 interior is well put together but I think it has already dated, as some may agree, which is surprising for Porsche design, I have had a little drive in a 996 and it seemed pretty solid but the dash seems more Japanese than German??

I also never had an issue with the offset pedals or seating position, found it very comfortable on long drives and not bad at all.

Feet still itchy, but now for this...

porsche-boxster-roadster-special-edition-spyder-2dr-200155551-5.jpg

That ^ is the Porsche I'd want most from the post-air-cooled era. In white please 8)...
...but not at the cost of a 993 :nooo:.

What are the main reasons for even contemplating letting the 993 go?

I think it's Porsche's nicest (obtainable) design since the 993, like a mini carerra GT. Looks best in black or silver to my eyes.

A few reasons for considering the change:

1) Occasional yearning for modern creature comforts like proper aircon (yes, I know I could just have mine fixed) and sat NAV.

2) Wind in the hair motoring (I don't like the 993 convertible).

3) I'm obviously fickle.

I made the move from a 993C4 over 10 years ago to a 996 turbo which I still have to this day. In fact, I will never sell it

It wasn't that I didn't like the 993 (midnight blue/sports seats/manual/RSR's/M030/hollow spokes etc) and it sure was good looking in my view but...nearly every time I drove it I thought it needed more oomph to have that real sense of performance. it wasn't helped by my having an Audi RS4 (B5) as my DD at the time I suppose!

After approx. 6 months of agonising whether to go for a 993 turbo or 996 turbo (back then they were similar money)
:hammer: , I then went to see a few 996T's as I figured, same money for a newer car. Not as good looking but inside they are less cramped (or do I mean cosey?)

Anyway, the deal was done to buy the 996T and the 993 took maybe a fortnight to sell (maybe 30K miles on the dash by then so it was still very low )

But the first few months I had the same 'what have I done?' feeling as when I sold the 928 and bought the 993: the steering was very light and it was sooo quiet (after the 993). these 'issues' were immediately fixed by a KWv3 kit and Milltek (later swapped for a Europipe) and the car was transformed from benign GT tourer into something of how I felt it should have been from the start. I was now starting to really enjoy it and the looks had grown on me !

Since then, the 'tweaks' have continued (GT3 style alloys in correct turbo sizes are a nice cosmetic change), Techart SSK to address the laughably long gearshift, engine updates and mods etc and I still love it. so much so that it was treated to a glass out respray and PPF early last year

It seems to me (flamesuit on :cop: ) that the turbo is rather unfairly overshadowed by the GT3. they are amazingly good value for their potential and huge fun can be had in their ownership and tinkering

'Kettle' ownership can be very rewarding indeed :D

I found my 993 tip Targa heavy and underpowered, certainly compared to a Boxster, 996 or even a manual 993.

All depends massively on what driving you do. I would have gone for the 996 Turbo next, but worry about losing the licence as a daily driver.

I had a Boxster S tip and it felt way faster and more responsive than the 993.

Of course you sacrifice the looks and nostalgic feel of the 993.

To me the 993 is one of the best looking Porsches ever made but I don't find them exciting to drive in the same way that a 996, Boxster or Cayman is.

I'll get a Turbo one day. I need to experience that mental speed before I can't get in it any more.

The 996 shape grows on you, I hated it when it came out.

I drove a 996 GT3 RS not long ago.

Mental. Totally mental.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back