Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MaxA's ''Mr White'' long termer

My first track day of the year is coming up at the Dubai Autodrome Club Circuit. I need to get the car in for fresh brake fluid, realignment (more negative camber at the front), those RS29 pads and Goodridge lines. :thumb:

And I'm thinking about some new lightweight rims from OZ Racing. I can then get the OEM Carrera Sports fixed (they're all bent) and repainted at my leisure - despite not actually being kerbed, some the lacquer seems to be peeling ...

I've now ordered 19" OZ Racing Ultraleggeras in matt graphite, some Rennline studs, and also a set of new Huf Beru 433Mhz OEM TPMS valves and sensors (@USD342 from oewheels in the US) so I should be all safe and legit going forward. :grin:

Max - you need a set of those black headlight surrounds I've got.

They'd look spanking on Mr W.

Let me know if you want a set.

I went to see Terry Hilton Automotive in Dubai Investment Park for the latest nano-tech ceramic coating from Feynlab:

Attachments

• 16245025_249440572161154_1228716357_o_150.jpg
    16245025_249440572161154_1228716357_o_150.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 8,650
The 'money shot' - not bad for a seven year old car...

Attachments

• img_20170126_50percent_276.jpg
    img_20170126_50percent_276.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 8,606
apollokre1d said:
Ouch all four wheels need work? I know it's your daily and you use it on track.... but all four wheels?

Terry has a theory, and I'm rather hoping he's right; he reckons that the non standard McGard locking bolt is lighter than the standard wheel bolts and could be throwing the wheel out of balance. I'll need to source some bolts and test the theory.

Car is looking good :thumb:
That will be interesting to see if the weight difference (which surely can't be that much lighter?) is causing it.

Still footling around, looking for wheel bolts. But when my new rims and studs come, then presumably this issue will go away.

In the meantime, last Friday night, we went up to the Dubai Autodrome for a Track Night on the Club Circuit. Usually track events are held in the evenings as the temperatures are lower (and the tracks are floodlit) but right now, it's cold for Dubai, and ambient temperature was around 13c... I was colder than I have ever been in Dubai...

Anyway, we gathered an electic collection of cars: a Maserati GT, an M5, a V6S Jaguar F type, a couple of GT86s (one modified, one stock), a Hayabusa engined Radical, a MINI JCW GP2 on very sticky tyres, a box fresh Cayman GT4 and a 997.2 C4S. Amongst other stuff.

We had to run as novices as it was first time on the track. The sighting lap didn't go too well as most of the field didn't understand that the Autodrome Driver Experience TT was actually demonstrating the racing line... hey ho.

The track, as some of you may know, is a full FIA spec track with lots of run off in most places, and quite some elevation changes. in this configuration, the pit exit is at the end of the main straight, with a long right hand double apex corner down from a slight hill. Then there is a quick sequence of a 90 left, 90 right and an uphill hairpin with a tricky exit (you just drift off the circuit if you take it early), and a negative camber 90 right into the main straight. We could hit 215-220kmh before the 100m board - you just feel you have to brake early for the down hill corner, but it was still easy to outbrake people at this point.

We had 3x full 20 minute sessions, with overtaking allowed on the straights only (before the 50m boards). And that was great, as it wasn't too busy, as it's always fun to compare the 'high horsepower cars' with the 'fast-in-a-corner cars'. As such the GP2 could pretty much outbrake and outcorner everyone but there were a couple of all round quick cars. My first session was pretty lame as it was just about finding the line, and it was hard to get any front end bite until the last session, as it was so cold (the track wasn't heated by the sun at all that day, and it was pretty dusty - especially off line). No issues with traction in a 4S though. And braking was OK even though I was running some pretty knackered pads and discs (the Pagid RS29s are still in the cupboard, more fule me!). The instructors said it was like ice, and I have to agree: too much understeer, and a couple of corners were taken with the wheels straddling the rubbing strips...

I'd love to go back, on a warmer night, now that I've some idea which way the track goes. I suppose the good thing was that my new Michelins were fine, not chunked or worn. Unlike the guy in the GP2, who needs a new left front Nitto NT01! (He's my brother by the way).

Are the lock nuts positioned opposite the valve stem ? not sure if this is old wife`s tale or fact but have heard it mentioned regularly both for balance and so you know where to find it when changing a wheel :?: also thread here that goes with the theory the lock nuts are the problem albeit an 944/968

http://forums.tipec.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1137

I know the Autodrome very well, have done hundreds of laps.....on my push bike. Only one major straight on the start finish but I guess they let you over take in the far side too? Good elevation change on the S bend too, pretty frightening I bet when going full chatter.

What always stunned me was how much rubber was on the track, millions of pieces especially off the racing line.

Gazc2 said:
Are the lock nuts positioned opposite the valve stem ? not sure if this is old wife`s tale or fact but have heard it mentioned regularly both for balance and so you know where to find it when changing a wheel :?: also thread here that goes with the theory the lock nuts are the problem albeit an 944/968

http://forums.tipec.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1137

Thanks for that, I'll have a look at the locking bolts. The irony is that there is no need here in the Emirates ... who's going to bother stealing some rims?

Bonners1 said:
I know the Autodrome very well, have done hundreds of laps.....on my push bike. Only one major straight on the start finish but I guess they let you over take in the far side too? Good elevation change on the S bend too, pretty frightening I bet when going full chatter.

What always stunned me was how much rubber was on the track, millions of pieces especially off the racing line.

The Track Nights are run on the shortish Club Circuit, so only one straight. I don't mind the S bend, as it's uphill - I'm less certain about heavy braking on downhill sections as I'm always aware of the 3.8 behind me (the classic 911 phobia I suppose).

There is a lot of rubber, as well as dust, off the racing line. You can pick up a lot of crap and it really compromises your lap if you run wide...

I finally had the chance to drive the C4S in the rain, on wet roads! It was merely damp in the morning but by mid afternoon enough rain water had collected for the drive home to be a bit of a worry: our offices in DIP2 are subject to some pretty local flooding, so I ended up navigating some 10-25cm "puddles"... just to get out of the Investment Park.

Once I'd got through the deeper bits, I found the car to be pretty benign at speed, on normal wet roads, all very predictable. I only got a wiggle on once, and could feel the front end pull the car straight. This is going to be a great all-weather machine (except perhaps for deep snow, deep slush for obvious reasons).

:thumb:

I hear they are great on the correct snow tires so you might find it will be just fine :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back