Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Project - A few weekend jobs...

igaffz said:
Nice one Chris, I've herd your lass haven't used the oven yet anyway so you should be ok!

My end game will be my current 964 and a light blue 924 turbo. When the 928 goes this year and I've finished the 944 I'll be on the look out for a suitable project, probably next year though, I want to use the 944 for a while. Wouldn't mind someone taking me for a spin in one first though, to see what there like? Something about a 924 shape I've always really liked!

Nice to know where you're headed bud. Im sure the 928 will make the correct money in the summer :thumbs:

Two light blue Porsche's sounds cracking, and the 964 and 924 will be totally different to drive :)

Chris

MarkGolf said:
Ohh, I need to pull my finger out and sort my lights out! I have the lenses but it's a job I keep putting off.

What is the fitment like now you've glued the new ones one? I heard that they can bow outward..

Im yet to re-fit them Mark, as the back bumper is off the car at the moment. Will keep you posted :)

The shape of the lights means that they are under tension and want to bend out. The key is the clamping. For the first light I only had two clamps, so had to glue and clamp and then re-glue and clamp once the first section was dry.

Second time round was easier, as I borrowed a couple of extra clamps, so could apply tension to all surfaces at once :)

Chris

Thanks!

You inspired me to make a start on them rather than sitting in front of Netflix last night. I got as far as bringing them inside and stripping everything off, I plan on putting 1 of them in the oven and see how I get on. 100 degrees / 9mins is what I will do. Takes me back to my Golf days and splitting lights to paint the inners black :)

Thankfully I've got 6 of those clamps although I just realised, I have no glue so I'll have to get some. Did you specifically buy the glue pictured above?

I bet these lenses make my centre look old. :?

MarkGolf said:
Thanks!

You inspired me to make a start on them rather than sitting in front of Netflix last night. I got as far as bringing them inside and stripping everything off, I plan on putting 1 of them in the oven and see how I get on. 100 degrees / 9mins is what I will do. Takes me back to my Golf days and splitting lights to paint the inners black :)

Thankfully I've got 6 of those clamps although I just realised, I have no glue so I'll have to get some. Did you specifically buy the glue pictured above?

I bet these lenses make my centre look old. :?

No worries Mark,

I just trawled ebay for a glue specific to hard plastics. This glue had a car rear light on the packet, so it convinced me (!)

The Rennlist guys use a different glue, but in not sure how easy it is to get over here?

http://www.selleys.co.nz/adhesives/household-adhesive/quick-fix-adhesive/plastics-glue/

I've re-read their thread and they think the older model lights with gasket all the way round (like the ones I did) are harder to separate then the newer ones. With heat and careful prising apart, it'll be OK

Good luck and take your time :)

Chris

Wheel update!

LMs centres are painted and lacquered. Porsche Agate Grey is looking to be as good as I hoped. Heavy pearl means that it changes from dark grey to almost non-metallic slate grey in direct sunlight. Thought I'd drag them out into the sun to show you what I mean!

Just need a wet-sand with 3000 grit or a polishing compound to be perfect.

The wheel lips are proving less successful. Even with Britemax easy Cut im struggling to get rid of all of the marks. Annoying, as I kept my wheels in good order, but failed to fully clean them after the run-back form the bodyshop on salty roads

Im going to have to resort to hand drill with sisal mops and polishing compounds. Lets see how this weekend goes...

They look totally mint mate :thumbs: I'm going to have to call round for a butchers.

That's lovely colour Chris, I'm looking forward to seeing them built up :worship:

Thanks guys :)

Got the split rim bolts soaking in Coke to clean them up a bit.

Managed to polish two wheels yesterday, with a combination of polishing soaps and Britemax with sisal mops. Not looking too bad, just a bit more hand polishing with Final Shine should do the trick.

Good job on the wheels! I don't miss playing with split rims! At least you dont have to worry about resealing them!

Thanks to you, I removed my lenses! I just need to order the glue now :thumb:

Time consuming but easy enough!

32747504335_6587f8bdf4_z.jpg

Looking good Mark, pleased to see they came out well :)

Know what you mean about polishing. Years ago I was doing a set every few months. Its been ages now and I forgot how boring it was! :sleepy:

Chris

Following Fueled Society @ Harewood Hillclimb, Leeds this weekend I've finally had a chance to take a few photos of the 964 with the refurbed rear lights and wheels fitted. Only just got the car back together for the show.

Apologies for iPhone photos. Will look for some better ones!

Wheels just need more sunlight for the colour to brighten

Looks the dogs mate :thumb:

Did you not get time to polish yours then Ian doesn't look very shiny next to Chris :D

These fancy expensive metallic colours cant beat good old red in the leeds drizzle :puh:

Time for a rubystone respray...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back