Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayman - Does the key fob central locking go into sleep mode

The return of Marty Wild

Just went out to the car after basically 2 weeks of no use. The central locking wouldn't unlock from the fob despite the alarm lights on the centre console flashing.

Managed to open the old fashioned way from the driver's side. Alarm went off but starting the car fixed that. Then ran the car for 10 mins with all non necessary functions disengaged fearing I may have an unhappy battery.

Did a google search and seemed to come across info pointing towards there perhaps being a sleep function in order to save battery life for cranking the engine. Is this true?!

Is it only on the Cayman?! Does it happen after a set amount of time or does it mean after 2 weeks in the cold, the battery has got low?!

Figured I'd start a thread in this section to provide help to other noobs.

All 996 (986) Porsche onwards have a sleep function after 5-7 days to preserve the battery.

You may wake it by simply lifting the door handle (and then use fob as normal)

Alternatively, if the fob is dead, open the door lock manually with the key and insert key in ignition to position "1" (ie ignition on) within 30 secs to prevent alarm sounding.

Your owner's manual/handbook will have more detailed info.

That's very interesting. Thanks for the heads up!

The door handle lifting does not work on 986's. On the early Boxster insert key into door lock, unlock the door, but do not open. With key still in lock, press the lock/unlock button on fob, and all should be working again.

This method also works on later cars, and I got so used to it on our first 986, that when our 997.2 'went to sleep' I used the same method to wake it up, until someone told me about lifting the door handle :roll:

Not sure quite when the door handle lift came in.

My reply may have been slightly unclear.

All modern (9x6 onwards) sleep (5 days for 9x6, 7 days for 9x7+)

But TROMW (the OP) has a Cayman - ie 9x7 onwards, so he can use the door handle wake.

The alternative (for 9x7) is the key lock (there is no alternative for the 9x6 as it has only the key lock method)

Had I been replying in the 9x6 forum I would have quoted myself:

GT4 said:
You can lock how you like (blade or remote fob)

But to unlock after sleep you need the key blade.

You can either:

1) unlock door using the key and put the key in ignition before 10 seconds to avoid the alarm triggering

OR BETTER

2) "lock" the car again using the key, but as the car is already locked, this action wakes the alarm receiver circuits.

Now unlock the car (and disable the alarm) as normal using the remote fob with no risk of the alarm going off :thumb:

You're a Gent, GT4. Thanks for your wisdom, I sh4t a brick at first.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back