Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering rack brace

Sutton

Spa-Francorchamps
I understand that the brace is required if 18" wheels are to be fitted to the car.

I don't plan to change the current Cup 2's, but does fitting a brace help either with strengthening the rack and improving longevity and/ or improving steering feel?

It's a cheap upgrade, so little reason not to do it. Can't say you'll notice it once it's there, but better safe than sorry. The chances that you have the original steering rack after 22 years are fairly slim, anyway. If you were getting 18" wheels I'd say get it done and never worry about it again!

If you have a 95 onwards build then chances are it may already have one. Earlier 93 & 94 cars are the ones without.

Here's a pic of a shiny new one fitted for clarity:

C.

Attachments

• 993_sr_brace_188.jpg
    993_sr_brace_188.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 3,412
There are 2 types make sure you get the correct one. The one I originally got from Gert fouled the center pipe boss as the bar is at an angle. Forgotten the reason, pehaps it was a LHD one. Very early cars 18" wheels are not advised there is a bulletin on p.car and probably Jontt's list.

Thanks Guys.

My car is a Nov '94 build and doesn't have the brace. It is a cheap part so I've ordered the rhd part from Gert - hopefully it should fit without any problems.

I've seen a later tsb where 18's can be fitted to cars without a brace (except Targas) so I'm confused as to whether it's actually needed and what benefits it generates.

I think it's another example of Tuetonic thoroughness. It's a Porsche not a Lotus, no disrespect intended.

I think you're right.

I look at the rear blower motor unit and think I have yet to hear of someone who died due to exhaust fumes being sucked in as a result of lack of said unit.

What does the rear blower motor do...and why?

It's supposed to do a few things. 1. Provide cooling after the engine is switched off if the temp exceeds threshold. 2. Stop exhaust fumes being sucked into the cabin when reversing. 3. Help the front blower motors take hot air into the cabin

I've never had the fan run after turning off my engine and I think they were struggling when they wrote the second reason! Maybe in hotter climates the extra cooling is needed but even trackdays here in Summer have never activated it.

Getting more hot air into the cabin could be useful but a heated windscreen would be even better. If I knew they did these when I replaced my windscreen, I would have opted for this.

Sutton said:
It's supposed to do a few things. 1. Provide cooling after the engine is switched off if the temp exceeds threshold. 2. Stop exhaust fumes being sucked into the cabin when reversing. 3. Help the front blower motors take hot air into the cabin

I've never had the fan run after turning off my engine and I think they were struggling when they wrote the second reason! Maybe in hotter climates the extra cooling is needed but even trackdays here in Summer have never activated it.

Getting more hot air into the cabin could be useful but a heated windscreen would be even better. If I knew they did these when I replaced my windscreen, I would have opted for this.

Interesting. I've heard mine kick in many a time after leaving the car on hotter days here in the U.K., yet she never gets that hot whilst driving her (Madrid 42 degrees outside and still no higher than the 9 o'clock position on the gauge for example) generally.

If the ambient air temp is hot I will do two cool down laps to get both oil and brake temps down. After parking I open the engine lid. It seems to have worked so far.

I've had a blower bypass on for quite a while, with a simple wiring mod to fool the HVAC into thinking the blower is still there (thanks Tore) so the front fans run at normal speed. Interestingly on one very cold day I switched the screen demister on and the fan fuse blew. Quick wipe with a cloth and unable to stop to check I carried on and the heat still came in the cabin so much so I had to open a window, so the engine fan alone pushes quite a lot of air to the cabin.

Yes I've heard from a lot of others that they still get enough heat into the cabin with the bypass fitted. I ordered the reply jumper 964.610.184.00 so hopefully that will do the trick to get the front blower fans working.

I think I read somewhere that the main fan in the older 3.0 engine can push 1400 cfm of air out. I don't know what our cars manage but a fraction of that diverted down the bypass seems intuitively to be sufficient.

If the windscreen gets a bit foggy I can always turn on the a/c.

When I was in Q8 the car would always run below the 9 O'clock mark on the temperature gauge even when the summer temperatures hit 52C :eek: Here in Spain the same applies although no more 52's :lol: However the rear fan cuts in after parking up and runs on and off for about 5 minutes.

I've always thought if someone was walking by and the fan cut in what would they think was happening as the car wouldn't have an occupant :D

ATB :)

As long as my car is moving, the temp never gets above 8 o'clock. It will go to 9 if I'm stationary for about 20 minutes, and then 10 after about 30 minutes. The first time the oil cooler fan went to high speed mode gave me a surprise. It's noisy!

52C! In those conditions, I wouldn't remove any cooling capacity from the car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LB_85
Back