Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Project - A few weekend jobs...

Ghengis said:
Mine is slowly being covered in overspray! Not long now :thumb:

Bit by bit Thomas, it'll get there :)

It'll be next to new once you get it back :thumbs:

Mine is still sat in the garage with the rear bumper off, waiting for me to strip the wheels off!

Chris

Don't worry mate I've done sod all to the cars for ages, to cold! But I'm determined to do something this Sunday, need to get the 944 back on its wheel and clean the 964 from the run out in Yorkshire :oops:

I've given myself a few jobs to sort on the 964 over winter. Its taking time, as I seem to be doing all of them at once!

First up is replacement of the rear lights. These deteriorate over time, due to heat from the engine bay discolouring and cracking the lenses.

A full set of replacements from Porsche is c. £350. I noticed with interest that replacement lenses have now hit the market, priced at only £100 for the pair. The only problem is, you have to dismantle the lights!

I needed practice. Ian and Steve came to the rescue with old lights that they had in their parts bins. Time to get to work.

Step 1. Wait for the missus to leave the house a warm the light lens in the oven to weaken the original glue / mastic. 100oC for about 9 minutes does it. Too much and you'll melt / distort the internals. Not enough and the lens will come away breaking some of the backing plastic.

Step 2. Once it's out of the oven use a knife to cut around the glue / mastic and then separate as carefully as you can. I found a flat blade screwdriver helped.
Practice needed though. The first lens wasn't heated enough and the plastic of the actual lens unit was damaged. After three attempts I had a usable pair of lights.

Step 3. Trim off the residual lens glass using a dremmel. First a cutting disc and then a sanding disc.

Step 4. Apply glue to the original glue marks and clamp closed.

Step 5. Think I may apply a neat bead of silicone to ensure that they are sealed and don't steam-up.

While all of the above was in progress I've removed the LMs from the car for refurb. Ian has kindly lent me some D90s to sit the car on.

Centres have been cleaned-up, etch primed and primed. Centres are in progress, with Porsche Agate Grey the new colour. Im busy re-polishing the lips as I go...

Hi Chris
Nice work with the lenses, I'm planning on doing the same to mine.
It sounds as though the temperature is quite crucial, if it doesn't come off with gentle pressure put it back in the oven for a few minutes more.
Do they come with instructions? I noticed on another post you were looking for later lenses, mine's a 91 but I think it was built in 90 are these different or harder to do?
Logan

AVI_8 said:
Hi Chris
It sounds as though the temperature is quite crucial, if it doesn't come off with gentle pressure put it back in the oven for a few minutes more.
Do they come with instructions? I noticed on another post you were looking for later lenses, mine's a 91 but I think it was built in 90 are these different or harder to do?
Logan

Hi Logan,

Putting them back in the oven does help. They seem to start splitting at the corners, where pressure must be greatest, due to the curve on the lens. You can work in sections to prise them away.

A post on Rennlist suggested that the darker coloured lights (maybe the older ones?) were harder to split. These were the older ones, and it wasn't too hard. Cant confirm either way i'm afraid.

When I bought the lenses from Design 911 you didn't get instructions or glue, you now do and they're an extra £5 I think?

Hope that helps :)

Chris

Nice work as usual Chris. Not sure I fancy popping car parts in the oven, Gill would kill me :grin:
I guess another thing to put on my list of things to eventually get around too...

Chief said:
Nice work as usual Chris. Not sure I fancy popping car parts in the oven, Gill would kill me :grin:
I guess another thing to put on my list of things to eventually get around too...

Its all about timing Chiefy. Not timing the light in the oven, just timing that the misses is down the shops for the afternoon (and you have plenty time to clean-up the evidence). :puh:

Chris

Great stuff Chris :thumbs:

What did it taste like? :wack:

Cheers,
Paul

paul284pt said:
Great stuff Chris :thumbs:

What did it taste like? :wack:

Cheers,
Paul

Tastes better than most of my efforts :food:

Brilliant!!
You two kill me :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Have you noticed that you pair are just doing 'tarty glam' jobs now...
About time new projects are undertaken boyz 8)

Paul, how about another 924 Turbo?

Hi Chief,

Yeah, but Chris is always ahead of the game, just look at his trophy cabinet :eek: A gentleman would have edited that out of the photo to spare our blushes :grin: You're right, we're just a couple of tarts anyway :friends:

I do need a new project but just had Edward's Karmann Ghia's engine and gearbox rebuilt and while it's been away he's filled the rest of the garage with gaming machines which he's doing up and selling :pc: Good for him but frustrating for me.

I have been very tempted recently with a couple but I might just hang out and get what I really want, a 924 Carrera GT, if they take a dip but I have stuff to do on the house too, sigh! Maybe next year.

Anyway a few pics of the KG just to prove I haven't exactly been idle. Apologies Chris for the hi-jack :thumbs:

Cheers,
Paul

deutschland-dobson said:
AVI_8 said:
Hi Chris
Logan

Hi Logan,

Putting them back in the oven does help. They seem to start splitting at the corners, where pressure must be greatest, due to the curve on the lens. You can work in sections to prise them away.

A post on Rennlist suggested that the darker coloured lights (maybe the older ones?) were harder to split. These were the older ones, and it wasn't too hard. Cant confirm either way i'm afraid.

When I bought the lenses from Design 911 you didn't get instructions or glue, you now do and they're an extra £5 I think?

Hope that helps :)

Chris

Hi, yes it does, thanks for the tip, I'll get them with the glue, pity the same can't be done with the centre reflector!
Logan

Nice one Chris, I've herd your lass haven't used the oven yet anyway so you should be ok!

My end game will be my current 964 and a light blue 924 turbo. When the 928 goes this year and I've finished the 944 I'll be on the look out for a suitable project, probably next year though, I want to use the 944 for a while. Wouldn't mind someone taking me for a spin in one first though, to see what there like? Something about a 924 shape I've always really liked!

AVI_8 said:
deutschland-dobson said:
AVI_8 said:
Hi, yes it does, thanks for the tip, I'll get them with the glue, pity the same can't be done with the centre reflector!
Logan

Any time :)

A guy on German eBay was selling the centre reflector, but it looks to be removed from sale. I'd struggle to fit that in an oven and would have to try with a heat gun though! :?:

paul284pt said:
Apologies Chris for the hi-jack :thumbs:

No worries Paul, i've always had a soft spot for that KG :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back