Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cheapie Fleabay Borescope

DucatiRob

As I want to check my cylinder bores for myself before the car goes off for a rebuild I ordered a cheap borescope off ebay which arrived yesterday! Quite impressed for £8 :eek: The images are not exactly Canon 5D quality but plenty good enough for what I need!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201501815...49&var=500736856929&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Some sample images taken in low light, images have been minimised for upload from about 2mb.

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Doh! meant to post this in the gadgets forum :eek: Could someone move it please!

MOD EDIT: Done. :thumb:

Good spot, I just purchased one 8)

tordofm said:
Good spot, I just purchased one 8)

Check it all works ok... came to use mine at the weekend and there is a dodgy connection somewhere so it's not working properly! Hopefully will get a replacement soon! Guess the quality is not the best at £8 :?:

Thanks for the heads up, hopefully mine should arrive later on this week.

Marc

tordofm said:
Thanks for the heads up, hopefully mine should arrive later on this week.

Marc

Hi Marc, did you receive your borescope? I eventually got a second one sent from the ebay shop, they seemed reluctant to send a replacement as they said they hadn't had problems before. Unfortunately the new one they sent had the same problem, intermittent connection!! However, not as bad as the first spat least I could use it.

Used it today whilst I has the spark plugs out, not great.. in fact pretty useless. It's a a shame because the camera itself is ok, the problem it both the LED lights and the angled mirror attachment. The LED's aren't bright enough unless the camera lens is very close to the surface you want to look at, and when you are poking the thing into the cylinders there is no way to get the thing close enough to the cylinder wall! The other problem is the angled mirror attachment being so close to the lens and the LEDs creates too much light being reflected back and not enough directed to the surface, plus even the slightest specks of duct on the mirror really impair the image.

What it really needs is a different light source poked into the cylinder at the same time, something very bright but not directed at the lens, I think then it might be much better!

Hi Rob,

Yes I got mine through ok and so far so good. I have only tested it whilst connected to the PC and I thought the LED's were reasonably bright (when turned up), what device are you connecting yours to?

I have not tried the mirrored attachment as yet, just waiting for a job to come up on the car or house that I could use it on :D

Marc

tordofm said:
Hi Rob,

Yes I got mine through ok and so far so good. I have only tested it whilst connected to the PC and I thought the LED's were reasonably bright (when turned up), what device are you connecting yours to?

I have not tried the mirrored attachment as yet, just waiting for a job to come up on the car or house that I could use it on :D

Marc

Hi Marc, I have used it with both an android tablet and a laptop. The image is much better with a laptop as you get a higher resolution image. The LEDs are bright enough without the mirror attachment which. I guess the problem for me is I want to inspect my cylinder bores so the mirror attachment is necessary and you are limited by how close to the cylinder wall you can get!

Have just bought a few superbright 3mm LEDsfrom Maplins to wire up and poke into the cylinder and light it up a bit more, hoping this will do the job!

Without the mirror attachment the image quality is pretty good!

Is the lead flexible? Use a bit of fishing line to tie to the end, and pull on that to get it to kink inside and look at the walls.

I just paid £450 to have mine checked, wish Id have seen this thread earlier!!

:pc: :frustrated: :nooo:

v8fettler said:
Is the lead flexible? Use a bit of fishing line to tie to the end, and pull on that to get it to kink inside and look at the walls.

I just paid £450 to have mine checked, wish Id have seen this thread earlier!!

:pc: :frustrated: :nooo:

Hi, yes the lead is flexible but the camera is at the end of a tube about 75mm long so difficult to manoeuvre, I didn't have much time when I was using but the best prion is to use a small bright LED poked into the bore and turn the LED's on the camera off!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back