Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Collected my 997.1 GT3 today!

NLW73 said:
seconded superb.

am thinking of changing the gloss black wheels on my 6.2 GT3 from black to a light gold or light anthracite this year maybe.

still like the black and suits with red but change always good ;-)

Have a think about the default 997.2/991 GT3 colour (I think that they call it satin platinum or something like that, but basically it is a darker smoked silver and it looks good IMHO with pretty much any colour that you could paint a car).

Same comment to Roro about a possible colour change on his black OE wheels for when he feels like something to alternate the new ones with.

Senoj said:
Keep them. You will definitely get the back to std itch at some point.

Yes probably, i do have a short attention span after all ... :grin:

infrasilver said:
Roro said:
Must be because I've had invisible black wheels for such a long time....

They suit the car well and your statement above is something I've tried to understand with the trend of black wheels, you may as well have black plastic hub caps on a car as you can't tell what they are anyway, lighter coloured wheels look sooooo much better and make any colour car look better.

The reason I had the OEM wheels painted black was because I didn't like the design (in fact I still don't, I've always thought they're quite ugly). Porsche only fixed that with the 7.2 which are very pretty. So basically my reason for painting black was essentially to hide them .... and also ease of maintenance as they hide brake dust and road grime very well :grin:

kas750 said:
That looks fantastic! :thumbs:

:thumb:

NLW73 said:
seconded superb.

am thinking of changing the gloss black wheels on my 6.2 GT3 from black to a light gold or light anthracite this year maybe.

I decided to go with gold in part after seeing how good Stuart's GT3 looked with good wheels (makes a change, normally I just copy everything Cunno does :)

6C0F20B7-09BC-4171-B15F-9E139F938C84.jpg

Mikee Quickstep said:
Stuart said:
Mikee Quickstep said:
Roro said:
Big thank you to Nick R @ Uber9s for the bedding in masterclass on the RS29's

Can you share? Just bought some RS29s for my 997 C2S for track day use, be good to get any tips on bedding in...

Loved reading this post by the way! I will own a GT3 one day!! :)

https://uber9s.com/Pagid_bedding_in_procedure.pdf

:thumb:

I'm a little confused... guidance says:

" MOUNTING NEW PADS ON USED DISCS (rotors)
We do not recommend using discs, which are pre-bedded, or have been used with friction material other than PAGID....

and then..

"If possible, pads should be bedded on used but NOT worn out brake discs"

I'm switching from OEM pads to RS29s. My rotors aren't too bad so probably don't need replacing just yet, but do I bed my pads in on my current rotors or should I look to change rotors at the same time I change my discs?"

Hmm... might be best to PM Nick direct (NXI20) to check :thumb:

freddie44 said:
Looking good Roro :thumb:

Def keep the standard wheels for the future (or for slicks 8))

Cheers bud :thumb: yes I'll keep them - not sure about slicks though I'd need to do all sorts of suspension upgrades first ...

Just noticed you have a C63? I'm starting the hunt for a new daily, I'm thinking an old RS4 Avant (or S4 as they're auto :D) or C63 wagon if I decide to spend a bit more. Is yours the 6.2 or the newer turbo model? If the former, anything you don't like about it?

Disco said:
NLW73 said:
seconded superb.

Have a think about the default 997.2/991 GT3 colour (I think that they call it satin platinum or something like that, but basically it is a darker smoked silver and it looks good IMHO with pretty much any colour that you could paint a car).

Same comment to Roro about a possible colour change on his black OE wheels for when he feels like something to alternate the new ones with.

I think I'd need to see those colours in the flesh, as I mentioned earlier I just don't like the wheel design itself hence painting them black. Also these wheels are very heavy too (I saw your 944 wheel linky in another thread), so I'm in 2 minds whether to keep them, or get another set of OZ and put the Super Sport tyres on them... not sure the man maths could justify that right now though given I've just bought a new set of wheels :)

Nice one Roro think those wheels look great, tempted for the Turbo :thumb:

Gold & Black, reminds me of John Player Specials!

Yeah good shout colin and they do look good in that smoked silver.

Will have a look at some options.

Roro said:
Just noticed you have a C63? I'm starting the hunt for a new daily, I'm thinking an old RS4 Avant (or S4 as they're auto :D) or C63 wagon if I decide to spend a bit more. Is yours the 6.2 or the newer turbo model? If the former, anything you don't like about it?

Loving the C63. It's the original NA 6.3L V8 which is what drew me to it. To put the power into some kind of perspective it has 450 ft lbs our GT3's have 298 ft lbs (and I never thought they were particularly slow :)) They'll never release a car like it again.. it was a nuts idea and I love Merc for it. Also looks like a taxi to most people..

Bad points: it has a very small tank and drinks like a fish but its power delivery is brutal (especially at the moments temps :puh:) and all feels very solid. Describe the whole experience as very very "beefy"

Mikee Quickstep said:

We do not recommend using discs, which are pre-bedded, or have been used with friction material other than PAGID....

and then..

I'm switching from OEM pads to RS29s. My rotors aren't too bad so probably don't need replacing just yet, but do I bed my pads in on my current rotors or should I look to change rotors at the same time I change my discs?"

In short I think that that procedure is the perfect situation ie buy new Pagid RS29s AND new discs but it depends on how big your pockets are. I stick Pagid RS-29s in for track and then put the OEM pads back in on returning home without any adverse effects.

Whilst not the perfect situation I am sure that the RS29s will bed to the disc to a lesser or greater extent. If you are going to be doing excessive speeds on road or track and perfection is sought then buy new discs otherwise I am sure you will be fine. It may just take a little longer to get them fully bedded in as the original discs will have their own minute grooves/fingerprint that the RS-29 will need to 'mould' to.

Pip

Pip1968 said:
Mikee Quickstep said:

and then..

In short I think that that procedure is the perfect situation ie buy new Pagid RS29s AND new discs but it depends on how big your pockets are. I stick Pagid RS-29s in for track and then put the OEM pads back in on returning home without any adverse effects.

Whilst not the perfect situation I am sure that the RS29s will bed to the disc to a lesser or greater extent. If you are going to be doing excessive speeds on road or track and perfection is sought then buy new discs otherwise I am sure you will be fine. It may just take a little longer to get them fully bedded in as the original discs will have their own minute grooves/fingerprint that the RS-29 will need to 'mould' to.

Pip

First, a little clarification: grooves in the disc will quickly imprint on the pads during initial use & their presence or absence affect brake efficiency far less than the pad material transfer layer on the disc itself.

Whilst it is perfectly possible to switch around pads like this, for optimal brake efficiency it's not ideal because the transfer layer of one pad material doesn't like mixing with a layer of different pad material. An actual chemical change to the surface of the disc occurs as the transfer of pad material happens; it can often be observed as a slight colour change to a very light gray.

Pad bedding in requires putting a lot of heat into the pad to cook off the resins in the material. Failure to do this correctly will mean that the pedal feels a bit spongy as the pads wear down.

Bedding the disc to the pad can be done at the same time as pad bedding if both pads & discs are new, but due to the heat required for pad bedding, it is preferable to use an old disc that already has a transfer layer of the same pad material. It's easier to bed a new disc with a pad that is already bedded.

Bedding of new discs involves getting them hot enough so that an even layer of pad material is deposited. Failure to do this correctly usually manifests as a vibration through the steering under brakes which is often interpreted as 'warped discs'. Discs almost never actually warp, particularly vented discs as used on our cars; the vibration is caused by the transfer layer only being present on some areas of the disc. If you get this situation, the best way to recover from it is either to take the discs off & use 80 grit emery cloth to remove the transfer layer or to adopt the pad bedding procedure until the brakes feel normal again (AKA, giving the brakes death!).

As I demonstrated to RoRo, you will know when the transfer layer has developed fully because the retardation suddenly increases significantly for the same pedal pressure. Most people who don't fully understand the process use insufficient speed (ie. heat) &/or stop the process too early. That will then lead to problems down the line...

Hope that clears things up :)

These wheels are amazing. The mind boggles as to what the super light Superforgiata wheels must be like. Acceleration, braking, turn in, rotation are all hugely improved. Car feels more go kart like and lighter. Best mod ever, and that's just based on road driving :thumb:

Took the car to Centre Gravity for some minor work. One of the original caster pucks had worn out, so decided to replace both sides with RSS items. They feel maybe half the weight of the OEM items and are solid compared to the rubber OEM pucks. They also look sexy which is hugely important. They've definitely (but subtly) tightened up the steering, which wasn't exactly slack previously. I thought there might be some extra noise or vibration but not noticed anything negative about them

On the drive home the suspension was noticeably softer than before. I didn't think anything of it until I remembered Chris removed a large stone that had lodged itself in one of the rear wishbones...

Previously, the car used to crash a little at the rear over poor surfaces, something I grew to think was normal over time (maybe it's been happening over the last 6 months or so). Having driven over plenty of bumpy roads since, the crashiness has pretty much gone. Top marks to CG again!

Also, bit surprised at the crap quality of the OZ centre caps. They're stuck on very poorly with crap glue. Chris told me one of my centre caps looked a bit loose, and on closer inspection it fell off when I rotated it a little... rubbish....

A summer to-do is starting to come together too, thanks mainly to that awesome "GT3 restoration" thread which I'm finding proper inspiring. Planning to remove the undertrays and steam clean/wire brush where appropriate and then spray over with Dinitrol or Tectyl... will also clean up the brakes and suspension components and other stuff that I think of...

... I think I want a scissor lift ... still...

Attachments

• 1eca94c5_2b3e_4ab6_b80e_4c178230801f_zpsqusccmn8_121.jpg
    1eca94c5_2b3e_4ab6_b80e_4c178230801f_zpsqusccmn8_121.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 7,546
  • 1366236e_b67d_45e1_9847_955b713b20c4_zpsogw8bide_148.jpg
    1366236e_b67d_45e1_9847_955b713b20c4_zpsogw8bide_148.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 7,546
freddie44 said:
Roro said:

Loving the C63. It's the original NA 6.3L V8 which is what drew me to it. To put the power into some kind of perspective it has 450 ft lbs our GT3's have 298 ft lbs (and I never thought they were particularly slow :)) They'll never release a car like it again.. it was a nuts idea and I love Merc for it. Also looks like a taxi to most people..

Bad points: it has a very small tank and drinks like a fish but its power delivery is brutal (especially at the moments temps :puh:) and all feels very solid. Describe the whole experience as very very "beefy"

Did you get a new daily ROro? I bought an e92 M at the beginning of Feb, engine is ridiculous and a lot of car for the money. :thumb:

Senoj said:
freddie44 said:
Roro said:

Did you get a new daily ROro? I bought an e92 M at the beginning of Feb, engine is ridiculous and a lot of car for the money. :thumb:

Hey dude. Cheers, no haven't got around to sorting a new daily yet. I hadn't considered the E92. I'm still shortlisting based on various budgets (haven't decided yet) and also how practical I need the daily to be. So far the main 'must have' is an auto box, and it'll probably be an estate or SUV which is why the C63 appealed. S4 Avant probably most likely candidate, but the RS6 looks interesting... I need to drive one :grin:

Roro said:
Also, bit surprised at the crap quality of the OZ centre caps. They're stuck on very poorly with crap glue.

Yeah - that shouldn't have been a surprise I am afraid. Back when I had a 996 on OZs I had that happen to a centre cap from one of the wheels before I even got it on to the car...

Disco said:
Roro said:
Also, bit surprised at the crap quality of the OZ centre caps. They're stuck on very poorly with crap glue.

Yeah - that shouldn't have been a surprise I am afraid. Back when I had a 996 on OZs I had that happen to a centre cap from one of the wheels before I even got it on to the car...

I'd forget the centre cap issue until i had sorted out those rusty wheel bolts...

Porsche centre caps will fit OZ wheels

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back