Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Temporary long brake pedal travel with irregular use

Ishay

Spa-Francorchamps
I'm not driving my 997.2 C2 as a daily at the moment with the weather and with an improved second car now in available for motorway miles. I've noticed that when I use it at weekends it starts with massive travel in the brake pedal. At the bottom of the travel it still stops well but the feel is completely different making me dangerously unsure of the bite point. Then after a short amount of driving it all stiffens back up and bites hard with almost no travel.

It's had no recent work done to it, but was OPC serviced in the summer. Ive searched but can't find anyone who describes the same thing. Any thoughts?

I've only had it a year but I haven't. Do you think it would be so temporary (it goes away completely) if it were old brake fluid?

PS - I've driven it daily since Saturday and it hasn't come back. Suspect if I rest it up until, say, next Saturday now, it will. If it does I'll have it checked but just wondered if anybody had similar symptoms before.

Not something ive come across before im afraid ..

I,m thinking master cyl seals ..

Next time you leave it to sit .. try pumping the brake pedal up and down a few times before you start the engine .. it should be pretty hard as no servo assist at that point ..

Then start and see how far it travels .. if a difference then perhaps something on the servo .. but im afraid im just guessing at possibilitys atm .

I couldnt post last week because the car only sat for 3 days and after that is was still firm. Today though it had been sat since Sunday and it was really cold too (frost inside the boot cold), the travel was back, I pumped it a bit but nothing. I wouldn't say it was travelling down as far, maybe half way. Again though, after 5 mins of driving it all firmed up again.

Still, it wasn't the brake I had the biggest problem with today so much as the accelerator. It worked a little too well and I got pulled over. Just a warning fortunately, phew... :judge: :lock:

Ive sat here thinking of all the parts in the system , it feels like something is getting a bit warmer and then starting to work.

It could i guess be something in the abs unit but im struggling to think of a sticking valve doing that and theres no diagnosis i can think of to prove it .

Too expensive to replace , for this , as a guess.

My other thought is still the master cylinder again only replaceing it would prove it.

Hard fault for a garage as they would have to leave it for a week just to feel what its doing.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrew bulloch7
Back