Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4s VS Boxter 981 daily driver

Smisby

Would it be daft spending my precious and hard fought £28k on a 2005 996 C4s convertible instead of a 2013 Boxter 981 with PDK?
In particular, the 80k mile 996 CARRERA 4S cab RPM Technik currently have up for £25'995 which gives me "the fizz"

This will be my daily driver. 19 miles of fast A roads and town to work and same home.

Insurance and TAX there isn't too much between them and lets gloss over fuel consumption.

do I rack up 7000 miles a year on a 80k 996 or a 50k 981? I do love the look of the 986 with the rear lens and wide body.

I'm guessing the 996 C4s will increase in value, or at least hold value compared to an only just not current standard boxter.

I'm coming from a 2006 MX5 with all the bells and whistles that it could have, but it sadly gives me a bad back because I'm not Japanese in size and more of a Zuffenhausen shaped chap. :)

Smisby said:
Would it be daft spending my precious and hard fought £28k on a 2005 996 C4s convertible instead of a 2013 Boxter 981 with PDK?
In particular, the 80k mile 996 CARRERA 4S cab RPM Technik currently have up for £25'995 which gives me "the fizz"

This will be my daily driver. 19 miles of fast A roads and town to work and same home.

Insurance and TAX there isn't too much between them and lets gloss over fuel consumption.

do I rack up 7000 miles a year on a 80k 996 or a 50k 981? I do love the look of the 986 with the rear lens and wide body.

I'm guessing the 996 C4s will increase in value, or at least hold value compared to an only just not current standard boxter.

I'm coming from a 2006 MX5 with all the bells and whistles that it could have, but it sadly gives me a bad back because I'm not Japanese in size and more of a Zuffenhausen shaped chap. :)

IMHO yes, you would be daft.
The C4S would be a bit of a gamble because at 80k and under bore scoring is known to appear. A Hartech rebuilt one would be a different matter. Yes the value will increase but there is always that chance you'll have to pay out for a £10k rebuild. Probability is, that as a daily driver, you'll be at the 100k mark fairly soon and I don't think the price for a 100k 996 will have risen to £38k to cover the cost of a possible rebuild in a couple of years.

2013 Boxster will suffer depreciation but that is easier to factor in.

As cars to drive.....big difference but both are fun and would be a real step up from the MX5.

£26k for an 80k mile 996C4S Cab seems a bit pricey.

Personally I'd go for the newer, lower mileage Boxster all day long. imo it's a far better car to drive and a nicer place to be.

Putting 7k miles on the C4S will see the value tumble in less than 3 years as the mileage approaches the dreaded 100k.

The C4S at RPM Technik has had a Hartech rebuild 5k miles previous, so that would negate some of the worries on that front. But ultimately, the Boxster is just going to drive better.

A C4S Cab Tip with hard top is just about the heaviest 911 ever made, you're looking at about 300kg over a C2 and 400kg over the Boxster. You might as well be driving round towing a horsebox. And the Boxster is 2 generations newer. Rare for me to say this as a 996 owner, but in in these specs and scenario it's a no brainer.

At the best of times the neutral amongst us will say that the Boxster is a cracking car in its own right.

It may not be a 911 but it is a very accomplished car which does 99% of what a 911 does just as well, if not better.

The 996 C4S is the best looking 911 ever IMO. With a hartech rebuild you are safe from a borescoring POV and it may well appreciate.

I think its a difficult choice actually. I'd have to drive them both and see which one I fell in love with at the time....

There is only one real Porsche there
911 996 C4S cab in manual
A very rare car and increasing with the best ass in the Porsche world

Ok 993 C4S ain't bad either

I owned a boxster S ( a bit girly ) though have to say the new ones look great

Bought the boxster 6 months later was in a 911

One car , one dream 911

wow - that wasn't the answer I expected or wanted.

but, you are all correct #pipedream..

If I want a car for performance the choice is obvious - 981.
I was always looking at a Boxter to replace my MX5 - originally the 987 then because I want an automatic, it had to be PDK and not tiptronic.
Then its only a couple of £k uplift from 987 with PDK to a 981 with PDK**.
It was then I saw a 996 C4s's arse and thought BOOM having a bit of that!

What sealed it was the comment about the mass of the 996 with the roof on. If I want a fat car I'll go and get an AMG 5 litre blah blah

Thank you people - back to my 981 searching...

**just the 265Bhp 2.7 too, not even the 315Bhp S.

Smisby said:
wow - that wasn't the answer I expected or wanted.

but, you are all correct #pipedream..

If I want a car for performance the choice is obvious - 981.
I was always looking at a Boxter to replace my MX5 - originally the 987 then because I want an automatic, it had to be PDK and not tiptronic.
Then its only a couple of £k uplift from 987 with PDK to a 981 with PDK**.
It was then I saw a 996 C4s's arse and thought BOOM having a bit of that!

What sealed it was the comment about the mass of the 996 with the roof on. If I want a fat car I'll go and get an AMG 5 litre blah blah

Thank you people - back to my 981 searching...

**just the 265Bhp 2.7 too, not even the 315Bhp S.

While my 997 was at the OPC getting serviced/MOT'd early last year, they let me have a Boxster 2.7.

It was a blast and I really enjoyed it, so I am sure you will not be disappointed :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back