Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake fluid change

ian_alex

Monza
I have read that it is necessary to have diagnostics equipment to fully change the fluid as the ABS system has to be set to allow it to be flushed.

Is this the case and if so will a change without ABS activation be sufficient?

If not it means I can't do it at home and as far as I know the Durametric pro kit does not have the requisite capability.

Thanks for any info.

I have done it without abs diag and didn't have any issues on my '02 car.

Basically drained the entire system, cut the brake flexi's off and replaced some of the hard pipes that looked rotten, it sat as an open system for a few weeks.

Initially it was hard to draw fluid through, I use one of those oil evac pumps to suck the fluid out with the brake pedal constantly depressed to the floor and that worked fine.

After a normal process of bleeding didn't get any issues or warnings.

Did the clutch slave in the same manner too
:thumb:

I changed the rusty front brake pipes to copper and then bled the system using a pressure bleeder by the usual order OSR,NSR,OSF then NSF using a reputable DOT4 brake fluid (as recommended by a Porsche indie)

Straight forward no problems.

Del.

If you replace the abs pump / unit then you will need a tester to bleed it , other than that its a straight forward job with either a friends foot , a pressure bleeder or a vacumn pump system .

Porsche do it with a pressure bleeder and NO tester .

As I understand you only need the abs flushing if you break the system upstream (like replacing master cylinder etc) and introduce air ahead or in the abs unit.

If you're only doing stuff at the wheel ends then you can get away with just the normal flush procedure.

Im doing braided lines and just using the sealey pressure bleeder thing to push the fluid through.

I wouldn't drain the system without the computer kit!

The reason you need the computer is it opens the valves in the ABS pump to get all the air out of that. Only really need to do that with a new pump thats got no fluid in it.

If you drain the system you risk getting air in the ABS pump.

Just bleed like you would any other car.

I have always been given to understand that the reason for changing brake fluid is that it is hygroscopic and over time will accept moisture which in turn could cause internal corrosion of system components.
A 2 year change is preventative maintenance and the abs pump is an expensive part of the system and should have fresh fluid inside it!
Question - will this happen with a conventional flush? I don't propose to drain the system, just change the fluid in the entire system.
I think from previous responses including the knowledgeable Demort that a simple flush will do this.

At Opc or any garage .. its a pressure bleeder and then bleed the brakes .. we only get 0.5 hrs for it you know :)

The brake fluid is hygroscopic but when water gets in it has a low boiling point .. brakes get hot , the water boils and creates air .. air in brakes = no good :)

2 years .. a bit over kill but its what Porsche say and i can feel the difference before and after a change .. its only subtle though .

Tester is used when changeing a pump as it needs to be bled .. for a normal change of fluid then its not used .. some fluid will indeed remain but as we dont drain the entire system to replace it then you will have a certain amount of mixing regardless .

If anyone wants to use it though im certainly not going to argue , you will get all the fluid out but its a pretty small amount in the pump to be honest .

We basically push out the old fluid with new fluid , same way we always have just with a pressure system and not someones foot these days lol .

Good idear to bled at every nipple though .. not everyone does .

Thanks Demort.
0.5 hours isn't much but you don't have to jack up front and back, place stands, then remove wheels without an air spanner, find pressure bleeder, read instructions again as its 2 years since you last saw it etc etc !!!

Interestingly some main dealers don`t see a need to change brake fluid at all - we had a local Ford dealer that was the subject of a sting set up by Trading Standards as there had been some doubt as to the quality of their servicing thoroughness it transpired that they were charging £40+ for a brake fluid change and then just not bothering to do it I guess many customers would be none the wiser.

They received a hefty fine.

Del.

ian_alex said:
Thanks Demort.
0.5 hours isn't much but you don't have to jack up front and back, place stands, then remove wheels without an air spanner, find pressure bleeder, read instructions again as its 2 years since you last saw it etc etc !!!

Lol .. very true .

Charging for jobs not done .. hmm .. a fine is not enough IMHO .. it gives the rest of us a bad name .. if i saw a mechanic trying that then we would be haveing more than a few words about it .. Outside !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stoker
Back