Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Delay in drive at junction

v8fettler

Silverstone
I've been for a test drive today, crikey, the 997.2 Turbo is pretty quick!

One question I have though, has anyone else had a delay in power delivery, whilst turning right out of a junction from standstill?

The guy said clear, I checked my side, and realised it'd have to be a quick one, so gave it a bit. The engined spun up but no drive, then about half a second later it bled in the power right steady as I straightened up.

Sales guy said it was the PTV stopping me spin out, but we hadn't even started moving? It was just like someone had the clutch down. I've driven cars sideways out of junctions, I know the feeling of a sliding car, this wasn't it, it just sat still, and then went as I backed off the throttle.

When I explained this he just shrugged and went quiet.

I will have an independent inspection if we agree a deal, but I'm alarmed that in a relatively short drive I found an issue (or what I think may be one).

My DSG Golf R32 would change down into first in tight left hand corners, it really bugged me so much that I used to change down myself just to put it in manual, so it wouldn't do it. It wasn't a fault, more an element of what he DSG was like on those early cars, but not having power out of a junction is alarming.

Anyone else had this??

Was there smoke coming from the rear tyres ? :lol:

Pdk issue maybe. I remember autos of old used to do similar through lack of atf in the box. No idea about the double clutch box but I'm sure someone will be of more help.

Has it got an opc warranty btw?

Just sounds like the traction stopped you making a fool out yourself. :dont know:

I had a 997.2 PDK and now a 991.1 PDK. Think what you are describing is just a characteristic of the PDK programming/mechanicals.

For me, once I got used to it, I have never had a problem in fast getaways from junctions as I now understand the behaviour of the gearbox. So perhaps just a familiarity issue :?:

Sounds like the PDK to me. There has been 1 or 2 occasions where I wonder whether or not the car is going to move despite pressing the throttleafter holding the car on the brake. I think it is something to do with the Drive-Off Assist system.

Should have mentioned that I think it's a 'feature' of the PDK and Drive-Off system. The more I drive my car the more I realise the PDK is a proper clever bit of kit. Even without Sport mode selected, as soon as I get a bit fruity on the throttle it holds the gears longer and isn't as quick to change up but when in traffic I find myself in 7th doing 35mph and I wonder how it got there lol! Now and again I suspect it has a bit of a brain fart when trying to second guess your requirements :p

I can categorically rule out loss of traction, I've driven plenty of powerful cars to know what traction control does/doesn't feel like. It does sound much like what some others are saying, a 'trait' as such. I thought by 2011 they'd have ironed out this sort of thing, I've driven 2007/8 DSG, and that was as described above, a bit 'brain fart' now and then, especially when coming off the brake, and even more so on a hill (if it didn't have hill hold that is).

Years ago, with V8 Range Rovers, there was a huge pause from pressing the throttle to actually moving, you'd end up pressing the gas before the car passing had even got level, anticipating that by the time it'd passed, you'd be off. 1/100 times it'd surprise you by going straight away!

I suppose I expected Porsche to have been a little further ahead by then.

Ah well, it wouldn't stop me buying one anyway. What would stop me was the horrible reverse logic Steerign wheel, pull back to change down!?? Doesn't seem right to me, so that'd be straight out and Sports Design put on.

So, now just to write a snagging list then, as the car hadn't gone through any prep, it only arrived Friday. Got to see it 'naked' before anyone had done anything to cover up that the previous owner didn't seem that bothered about it.

Is it normal for wheels to blister up at 5 years? My R32 never had that issue, I'm just wondering if it points to the wheels standing in damp conditions, as it's only at one point on each wheel, not spread around it. It also makes me wonder if the wheels (via the brakes) had got hot to degrade the paint?

Bonus is there's about 5 Rolos squeezed into the little cubby hole in the central bin!!

I agree with you about the steering wheel and I think it makes the car feel a lot older but some people get used to it. Might get a deal on it with the seller.

I don't know about Porsche wheels but I had blistering on 3 of the 4 wheels on my BMW at 18 months old. The blistering was under the lacquer with no visible breaks on the surface. After inspection BMW agreed to replace them under warranty and conceded that it was a manufacturing fault on a batch that was causing the corrosion on many wheels.

I always wondered what the central bin was supposed to be for but now I know ;)

v8fettler said:
Ah well, it wouldn't stop me buying one anyway. What would stop me was the horrible reverse logic Steerign wheel, pull back to change down!?? Doesn't seem right to me, so that'd be straight out and Sports Design put on.

I looked at one 997.2 turbo that had this wheel, and didn't think I'd like the rocker switch type switches, but the difference to these if thinking of them like a sequential change - the same as the PDK stick in manual mode. Had I bought the car, the wheel might have stayed as it was an expensive option (carbon, heated, multifunction), but the Soprt Design wheel does look better..

Curious. I've not experienced this with my PDK, but then again I haven't done too many full throttle starts from a standstill. I still haven't bothered with launch control either. Perhaps you had a cold gearbox and it was just protecting itself from all the torque?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stoker
Back