Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

EBC yellow stuff pads - squeeky, mushy brakes

cvega

Nurburgring
Hi guys,

New 996 owner here. Among some mods, it seems to have EBC Yellow Stuff pads installed + stainless steel brake lines. They have plenty of meat on them.

The pedal seems "mushy" - not the way I remember my cayman, which had a crisp and clear bite point - it does stop but takes some force, and they do squeal a bit after a few minutes of driving.

Is there something wrong with the brakes OR do those pads really need some heat in them to start working properly? if that's the case, I'll get them replaced with some good Ferodo/Brembo pads - I drive like an old lady..
Thoughts?

Don't know about those pads but the std brakes do need a good shove, they don't have the light touch and bite of most modern cars.

I find moving from our other cars (Mondeo and Celica), it take a few mile to tune in to the 996. The brakes certainly do stop it though!

I see what you're saying there, I should drive it more!

996 brake servo can suffer from water ingress and rusts internally which will reduce the effectiveness of it .. theres a modified servo and fitting kit so thats one possibility.

Brake fluid change is another .

Air in the system .

Also as you have mentioned those pads could be a reason .

EBC yellows not good pads at all and certainly for a heavy road car like a 911 compared to say a Caterham or light track car. they are fine for sub 1000 KG cars. they tend to break up after a while.

they are quite hard pads too and need heat to get working which is why you don't have much feel and initial bite when cold. they get hot then cool and this is why they squeal.

I would go for a decent OEM pad as long as you are not tracking the car.

I would junk them or sell them on flea bay. go for Pagid or performance friction.

brakes are important so why try n save a few bob here n there. same with tyres really.

ebc yellowstuff are horrendous pads. i tried a set on a track car i had (260bhp civic) they didnt last a full track day, needless to say they were never ordered again... i wouldnt even recommend for normal road driving.

Attachments

• 11173703_10155508514880228_99303510_n_138.jpg
    11173703_10155508514880228_99303510_n_138.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 2,323
I ran Yellow Stuff pads on a BMW Z4 I owned a few years ago, and hated them. Poor bite, squealed like a stuck pig when warm, and not that effective. Bin the pads and get something else.
911 brakes are more like competition car brakes, a firm pedal, and need a good shove to work, but boy do they work. :D

I have used Yellowstuff for years mostly for the Summer months for road trips and track days and have never had a problem with them, that's usually down to the disc not getting drilled out or not bedding them in. Regular fluid changes will help the feel of the pedal but nearly 100% of people who move to a Porsche from other "over servo'd" cars do think the brakes are no good but they are actually better and just take some getting use to driving a drivers car.
My yellows get nice and hot at regular times so maybe this is the difference and I change to standard pads for the Winter months.

I've had the same experience as Infrasilver, never had a problem with EBC yellow. For fast road/track they are a great pad for the money.
But if the OP says he doesn't drive the car fast of do track days then I would definitely recommended going back to a standard pad.

EBC changed the Yellowstuff compound I think in 2010, prior to this they were terrible. Now they are absolutely fine. Perhaps the OP has a pre-2010 set fitted.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back