Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The dreaded squeaky window...

Just did some homework and I'm pleased to announce mine appears to be nothing to do with the mechanism. It runs smoothly and quietly.

My issue is the rubber seal at the top of the doorway where the window pane seals against the body of the car. It's perhaps a touch dry and when the glass moves over it it squeaks, any suggestions as to what I can use to breathe a little more suppleness into the seal please?

@ Alex - Don't know if the Cayman is different, but I could see next to ***** all peering into the door with a powerful torch! haha

:grin:

There are various silicone grease products you can buy for squeaky seals, etc. (I use it on my hardtop on the seals) but I don't know whether you'll end up with residue on the glass. Might be worth a try.

Halfords do something:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/grease/halfords-silicone-lubricant-400ml

Halfords Silicone Lubricant

The Halfords Silicone Lubricant is ideal for use on weather strips, mouldings, trim, rubber doors & window seals. It is an easy to use aerosol spray, which can be used to ease the assembly of rubber parts, protect against hardening and cracking and help to eliminate window squeaks and sticking.

Halfords Silicone Lubricant Extra Info

Ideal for use on weather strips, mouldings, trim, rubber doors & window seals
Protects against hardening & cracking
Eliminates window squeaks & sticking
400ml aerosol spray for rubber & plastics

Take your id though baby face - must be over 18 :grin: :thumb:

Take it moisturiser, although breathing a little life into the rubber seal, would leave smears?!

Did I just read that silicon spray is the ticket?

The rubber wiper/scraper should be slightly flexible to stay against the glass to seal/clean it but with age it loses that flexibility and starts to squeal.

Del

Cheers Del, it's not the scraper/seal at the bottom of the glass panel when the window is up. I.e. the scraper seal built into the door.

Its where the glass meets the body of the car when fully up. So up near the roofline. If that makes sense.

So I get a tiny bit of squeal just as the window drops the first few cms and the glass leaves the top seal above the door.

The more I Google, it sounds like I need a touch of silicon spray.

alex yates said:
:grin:

Take your id though baby face - must be over 18 :grin: :thumb:

Haha, was just looking at this. Will nip and buy some, cheers Bud!

Think I'm ok in Halfords, but still get ID'd sometimes in Supermarkets.

Glad it appears to not be regulator/mech issues.

Put good old furniture polish on the inside. Always works.

You will have to do it a few times a year depending on how much u use the car.

Its silicone based so does the same job.

Just bought some dedicated silicon spray. It's not the area of seal I thought. Where the car is parked, I can't open that door. So wasn't testing it with the door actually open, when of course, the glass doesn't even touch the seal I mentioned earlier.

But now having done some work/further inspection outside Halfords. It's the main seal/scraper in the door. And it squeaks just in the first few cms of going down, or of course, the last few cm of going up.

Thankfully mechanism all sounds smooth. Window drop for door opening works perfectly too. Annoying, ended up spraying along the entire outer seal, but to no avail. Didn't know if the spray is any good for the felted interior seal?! Anyone?!

Wax or T-cut the glass.

Thing that puts me off about that is the mess it makes when you come to remove the wax. Dried product will end up every where non?!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back